IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How's the IS RWD in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09 | 07:34 AM
07B&T
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure why people say you are "risking your life" and you can't drive a 350 in the snow. I have Goodyear F1 all-seasons, stock 18" staggered setup. GO SLOW!!! Just don't drive like a complete jackass and you can make it work. I'm not saying it is a great experience, but I have driven in 4-6" of snow with the 350 and did pretty darn good. I have a couple of 70lb sand bags in the trunk mind you....throw it in snow mode and start moving. Just slow the **** down. People here in KS drive on snow like it's dry pavement...they are morons, that is how you get into an accident.
Old 09-03-09 | 08:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07B&T
I'm not sure why people say you are "risking your life" and you can't drive a 350 in the snow. I have Goodyear F1 all-seasons, stock 18" staggered setup. GO SLOW!!! Just don't drive like a complete jackass and you can make it work. I'm not saying it is a great experience, but I have driven in 4-6" of snow with the 350 and did pretty darn good. I have a couple of 70lb sand bags in the trunk mind you....throw it in snow mode and start moving. Just slow the **** down. People here in KS drive on snow like it's dry pavement...they are morons, that is how you get into an accident.

I think part of it is a lotta people nowadays grew up on FWD so they don't know how to drive a RWD car anymore... part of it is not understanding the importance of proper tires... and probably a small part of it is the great job the AWD marketing machine has done convincing you if you don't decide to hurt your handling, mileage, and vehicle weight by getting AWD and there's bad weather YOU AND YOUR WHOLE FAMILY WILL DIE.
Old 09-03-09 | 08:50 AM
WhoDat
Pole Position

My problems is that I've been through Three winters here in Utah. The 1st was with my summer tires the 2nd year was the worst, it snowed so freaking much that by the time it let up I bought all season tires and i noticed better handling, this last winter I have very little issues but notheless I still had my stress levels go throuogh the roof while driving (slow and easy mind you) to and from work which is lesst than 2 miles.

It's no fun waking up and seeing your drive way full of the white stuff and having to dig out after a freaking snow plow blocks you in (where a 4x4 when you need it most), then there are roads that arent plowed or they plow them and you can make a turn or in my case come home and cant pull into your own drive way! I have to act quick because if your car is on the side of the road for any lenght of time they will plow you under.

If it wasnt for the winters here I would have no issues (of course)....... I'm leaning towards buying another car...yes, just because if the winters.
Old 09-03-09 | 08:58 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Take it slow
Put it in "snow" mode
Don't panic and slam on the brakes
GET WINTER TIRES AND NOT ALL SEASON....WINTER TIRES WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE

and if you are not comfortable going out on the roads...then don't drive
it's as simple as that.
Old 09-03-09 | 10:40 AM
Madsci625
Driver

Originally Posted by sway162
Take it slow
Put it in "snow" mode
Don't panic and slam on the brakes
GET WINTER TIRES AND NOT ALL SEASON....WINTER TIRES WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE

and if you are not comfortable going out on the roads...then don't drive
it's as simple as that.
Yeah, I'm a veteran RWD snow driver (had RWD sports cars for 11 years, Turbo FC and SupraTT) so I know how to deal with the snow with non-snow tires. Not pleasant but I can manage. I was curious how crappy the handling is on the 350 with snow and it sounds like it's pretty decent, especially in snow mode etc. I'm just sick of having white knuckle moments the few times a year I end up having to drive in the snow with a car that wasn't meant for it. Anyway, I ended up getting a 350 and plan on putting snow tires on during the winter time even though the snow isn't usually a big problem around here.
Old 09-03-09 | 04:13 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusSC430
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, jk. Good luck! I had a 98 Supra TT, which I was lucky enought to have access to a second car. That car would get stuck in a centimeter of snow. As for the IS, I am not sure if you mean the 250 or the 350. As for the 350, GOOD LUCK. You are risking your life if you drive in the snow, I had to have my car pushed out of the driveway with less than 2". I had the luxury of being able to go to work late or work from home. Im sorry, nothing is worth dying or crashing my car. If youre ok with your Supra in the snow than I imagine you would be ok with the IS too....me on the other hand.....
What??? You're kidding right? I presume you are familiar with technology such as stability and traction control that has come a long way since 1998. You are not "risking your life driving in the snow" any more than what most drivers do on their daily commutes. I used to drive in the snow all the time when I lived in Oregon, My winter Sport 3D tires were amazing. One time I drove through 40 miles of snow, much of it rubbing under the car on Hwy 66 From Ashland Oregon to Klamath Falls Oregon in December. With the snow tires and some weight in the trunk I had no issues. I also used to go from Eugene Oregon to Bend Oregon twice a month with just snow tires, while other drivers were chaining up. California has a outdated chain law that in many cases doesn't allow you to have a 2 wd with snow tires in snow. This law is fueled by ignorance such as what you are saying. Look at the snow in my picture.
Old 09-03-09 | 04:14 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Audiofan2
What??? You're kidding right? I presume you are familiar with technology such as stability and traction control that has come a long way since 1998. You are not "risking your life driving in the snow" any more than what most drivers do on their daily commutes. I used to drive in the snow all the time when I lived in Oregon, My winter Sport 3D tires were amazing. One time I drove through 40 miles of snow, much of it rubbing under the car on Hwy 66 From Ashland Oregon to Klamath Falls Oregon in December. With the snow tires and some weight in the trunk I had no issues. I also used to go from Eugene Oregon to Bend Oregon twice a month with just snow tires, while other drivers were chaining up. California has a outdated chain law that in many cases doesn't allow you to have a 2 wd with snow tires in snow. This law is fueled by ignorance such as what you are saying. Look at the snow in my picture.
Picture Attached:
Attached Thumbnails How's the IS RWD in snow?-snow.jpg  
Old 09-03-09 | 05:10 PM
92GreenSC400
Rookie

Default not bad at all

i purchased my IS in 06 while living near fairbanks ALASKA. If anyone would know about driving in the snow, it might be me. I slapped some pirelli snow tires on a set of g-spiders and put a 20lb sand bag in the trunk. No problems whatsoever. The car was steady, even during break up. During break up, there is quite a bit of ice in the morning and evening. I was concerned before the first winter but my worries were eased after the first couple of weeks. Four (4) winters later and not one issue.

Purchase a Second set of wheels + Good snow tires and you shouldnt have to worry
Old 09-03-09 | 10:02 PM
Madsci625
Driver

Originally Posted by 92GreenSC400
i purchased my IS in 06 while living near fairbanks ALASKA. If anyone would know about driving in the snow, it might be me. I slapped some pirelli snow tires on a set of g-spiders and put a 20lb sand bag in the trunk. No problems whatsoever. The car was steady, even during break up. During break up, there is quite a bit of ice in the morning and evening. I was concerned before the first winter but my worries were eased after the first couple of weeks. Four (4) winters later and not one issue.

Purchase a Second set of wheels + Good snow tires and you shouldnt have to worry
Do you have a 350? Do you use 17" or 18" rims for your snow tires?
Old 09-04-09 | 06:59 AM
07B&T
Driver School Candidate

OK, I will mention one thing that does make a huge difference in the snow. Put the car in Neutral when you want to stop. Is it just me or does the car just try to keep going if you leave it in drive. My biggest issue with it was always feeling like I couldn't stop, but throw it in 'N' and it stops on a dime (a dime the size of a trampoline obviously, but still). Feels like it's pushing even when you are braking. Definitely utilize 'N' when driving in the snow, it made a huge difference in my opinion. Anyone else feeling me on this one?