IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trunk Length Extension

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 09:39 PM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trunk Length Extension

Hey everyone. I am about 98% sold on jumping in to an IS and becoming part of the ClubLexus family once again. However, and this is not a knock on the car, I am not too sold on the profile view of the car. For some reason, it just seems to me as if the back end of the vehicle's length (trunk) is not in proportion with the front (hood) length from the cockpit/cabin area.

Now I know that is not at all a fact, but just a matter of opinion... namely mine. But for some reason, I just can't really overcome that. Now don't get me wrong, its not like I'm shooting for the trunk of a 1960's Caddy, but maybe something more like the proportion setting of a BMW 3-series sedan. Sorry... I said the "B" word.

So anyways, my idea was to see if anyone knows of an aftermarket spoiler that per say gives the look of, what I think might make, a more well proportioned car when seeing viewing a side profile view? See for example, on an Infintiny G35 coupe, a straight and flat spoiler is offered for it as an option from factory. In my opinion, without that spoiler, the G does look a bit shorter in trunk length than with it. With the spoiler, I feel the G suddenly has a worthwhile side profile view.

I dont know, it might just be my thing, but just thought to share this with you guys to see if you guys might have any ideas. I really like everything else about the car, its just that thing I have a serious issue with. I even have opted to ignore and overcome the idea that this seems more like a secretary's kind of car as opposed to a professional mid-30 year old bachelor.

I'm curious, anyone else feel the same about the back end design of the IS? I noticed that the GS models also have what I feel is the same idea of design for their rear end.

Thanks guys.!!!
Old 08-12-09, 10:20 PM
IS350JDM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just wrote 5 paragraphs about trunk proportion.

The truth is, buy it if you like the way it looks. The rear section is one of the coolest looking parts of the IS. It's kinda like a coupe disguised as a sedan. If you want to make the trunk look longer, just buy a Wald spoiler.

But if you can't get past the "short-ness" of the IS rear, go for a 3-series.
Old 08-13-09, 03:15 AM
homerjay42
Rookie

Personally, I like the rear of the IS, well, I like the rear with the OEM trunk spoiler. It is not overly aggressive, but I feel that it adds that subtle touch that make the trunk look amazing.

Have you seen any with the OEM trunk spoiler?
Old 08-13-09, 06:00 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

OEM trunk spoiler + Roof spoiler make the car look much better!
Old 08-13-09, 08:21 AM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imo the trunk is quite sexy, it gives the IS an aggressive stand from the side view. a wild variety of trunk spoilers are offered.

www.l-tunedparts.com will show you quite a variety
Old 08-13-09, 01:03 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh wow, I love the rear end of my car the most alongside the profile. I find it definitely sexy.

But we all have our own tastes, I say you should pick up a Wald spoiler from L-Tuned (Make sure you PM them since they are a vendor on here and could give you better pricing) and get it molded on:

Old 08-13-09, 02:47 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

I was in the same boat. I like when vehicles are symmetrical looking (one of the reasons I have a very difficult time relating to vehicles that are dropped or uhhh...flush).

However, the shorter trunk grows on you, and as someone else mentioned it makes the car look more like a coupe (because the rear end isn't as long).

What sold it for me (from an aesthetic perspective) is that I detest the the front end of most cars on the market (which includes the very tired designs of Infiniti and BMW).

However, if it still bothers you some of the spoiler suggestions previously made might do the trick for you