IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Silver CF on Obsidian 2is

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 01:07 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enough with the carbon fiber already. lol.

IMO, it is ricey, and please don't compare with supercars, as I read somewhere here long ago. If I care about weight savings, I'll paint.

Though I like CrazyMPG's car, because it is mostly painted, not leaving the whole lips CF and doesn't flow with the lines of the car. oooh yeah, I also like what jonjon83 did before with his Seibon kit.

No offense guys, I'm not here to bash people. :P
Old 08-21-09, 03:05 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ +1.

you replace oem panels/parts w/ carbon fiber versions, i can understand.

you ADD on carbon fiber panels/parts... you're adding weight - just slightly less than the non-carbon fiber version.

doesn't that slightly defeat the purpose of carbon fiber (weight reduction)?

again, just my opinion.
Old 08-21-09, 03:28 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna

you ADD on carbon fiber panels/parts... you're adding weight - just slightly less than the non-carbon fiber version.

doesn't that slightly defeat the purpose of carbon fiber (weight reduction)?
It's no different than adding the weight of a body kit. And as we know, lots of people (myself included) add CF because we like the look of it. That's the only reason a company like Seibon can stay in business.

To the OP - I say go for it. Create something unique for your car! I've never seen an example of silver CF on a black car - who's to say it will look bad on the IS?
Old 08-21-09, 09:45 AM
intekmdma
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
It's no different than adding the weight of a body kit. And as we know, lots of people (myself included) add CF because we like the look of it. That's the only reason a company like Seibon can stay in business.

To the OP - I say go for it. Create something unique for your car! I've never seen an example of silver CF on a black car - who's to say it will look bad on the IS?

Be the first and lets see some pics
Old 08-21-09, 09:47 AM
kayotik
Lead Lap

I do.

- Common Sense

Old 08-21-09, 09:56 AM
hkmember23
Driver

I think it will look unique but that is something I wouldn't do. Be different
Old 08-21-09, 10:03 AM
helex
Plasti Dip King

here is my supra... its blue with silver cf hood. I had it painted with blue candy to blend it in. Perhaps you'd like to do this or other could use this idea?

Before:

After: (Hard to see, have to get up close to see
Old 08-21-09, 10:59 AM
intekmdma
Driver

candy color CF hoods are sweet and a good way to go on cars that are black
Old 08-21-09, 11:28 AM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tbh with you if I cared about weight reduction I wouldn't have gotten the 2is, I know more than 80% of the people who have carbon fiber on their car is with the sole intent of looks. Out of everyone i know and work on cars with who care about weight reduction, none of them have a single piece of cf on their car.
Old 08-21-09, 05:11 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

carbon fiber is utilized by the automotive industry and in high-stakes motorsports due to its excellent stregth to weight ratio, NOT because it looks cool.

case in point, it's used on ultra-exotic cars (mclaren f1, porsche carerra gt, ferrari enzo) and race cars (formula 1). sure, all that carbon fiber looks really cool, but the reason they use it is because it is strong yet lightweight.

to use it for any other purpose defeats its primary utility and becomes an exercise in overspending.

no offense to anyone; just my $0.02.
Old 08-21-09, 05:35 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

carbon fiber is utilized by the automotive industry and in high-stakes motorsports due to its excellent stregth to weight ratio, NOT because it looks cool.

case in point, it's used on ultra-exotic cars (mclaren f1, porsche carerra gt, ferrari enzo) and race cars (formula 1). sure, all that carbon fiber looks really cool, but the reason they use it is because it is strong yet lightweight.

to use it for any other purpose defeats its primary utility and becomes an exercise in overspending.

no offense to anyone; just my $0.02.
I hear what you're saying, but the fact that it's used for high-performance applications makes it popular with auto enthusiasts. Is it overspending to accessorize a car to your liking? Depends on what value you place on your mods.

I can think of MANY products that have roots in high-performance applications, but are mainly used for looks when applied to our cars:
1. Spoilers
2. Body Kits
3. Cross-drilled rotors
4. Big Brake Kits
5. etc.

If you don't like how it looks, that's cool. But that doesn't make it wrong.
Old 08-21-09, 05:52 PM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

haha dont get me wrong i completely understand the original concept of why carbon fiber parts were put on exotic cars. but let me ask you this just on this forum alone, how many people here actually have carbon fiber parts because they are involved in some form of high-stakes race?

so pretty much this would apply to most things about modding a car then wouldnt it? what use is a daily driven lexus with an aero kit from vertex or wald? what about bucket seats and 5 point harness belts? imo enthusiasts mod their car according to their own taste. they want to make it aesthetically pleasing to other people and get props for how it look.

[not trying to start a war ]

Last edited by SD.IS; 08-21-09 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-21-09, 06:58 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

I hear what you're saying, but the fact that it's used for high-performance applications makes it popular with auto enthusiasts. Is it overspending to accessorize a car to your liking? Depends on what value you place on your mods.

I can think of MANY products that have roots in high-performance applications, but are mainly used for looks when applied to our cars:
1. Spoilers
2. Body Kits
3. Cross-drilled rotors
4. Big Brake Kits
5. etc.

If you don't like how it looks, that's cool. But that doesn't make it wrong.
it's not wrong for others to buy carbon fiber parts for aesthetics, but if it was me i would apply my spending priorities on something else.

Originally Posted by Lex v2.5.0
haha dont get me wrong i completely understand the original concept of why carbon fiber parts were put on exotic cars. but let me ask you this just on this forum alone, how many people here actually have carbon fiber parts because they are involved in some form of high-stakes race?

so pretty much this would apply to most things about modding a car then wouldnt it? what use is a daily driven lexus with an aero kit from vertex or wald? what about bucket seats and 5 point harness belts? imo enthusiasts mod their car according to their own taste. they want to make it aesthetically pleasing to other people and get props for how it look.

[not trying to start a war ]
high stakes motorsports - not races (this isn't Redline). as a matter of fact, motorsports in general - grassroots, amateur, and professional.

as far as anyone is concerned, if they must have carbon fiber this-or-that - or any this-or-that - just to set their car apart from the average john smith, by all means go on ahead. it won't change my opinion in the near future.

again, this is my opinion. you asked; therefore, you shall receive.
Old 08-23-09, 01:56 AM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for voicing your opinion haha its been fun discussing this topic with you