IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DRLs - Simplify for me please :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 08:35 PM
2009LEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb DRLs - Simplify for me please :)

Hey everyone -

I have in fact searched and researched and now have too much info

I want to replace the DRLs because I hate the color. What can I get that is simple to install and looks good with the regular lights on and off?

Replace just the DRL bulb? I really dont care about high beams.

Thank you very much!
Old 08-20-09, 08:39 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cheapest way to turn off DRL without worrying about high beam functions is to smash the bulb lol.

The next cheapest way is to get LED that comes in the same color of your desire, so that you will have no high beam function, but dim cool color DRL that don't show up well unless you drive at night with the headlights off.

Or you can choose to go with white or yellow DRL halogen bulbs that don't exactly match up with your HID, but still retain highbeam and the color is more visible during the day.
Old 08-20-09, 09:05 PM
2009LEX
Driver

Which LED should I choose?

Which White halogen bulb do you think?

Thank you
Old 08-20-09, 11:54 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikez
The cheapest way to turn off DRL without worrying about high beam functions is to smash the bulb lol.
Or you can unplug it.
Old 08-21-09, 04:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The next cheapest way is to get LED that comes in the same color of your desire, so that you will have no high beam function, but dim cool color DRL that don't show up well unless you drive at night with the headlights off.

Or you can choose to go with white or yellow DRL halogen bulbs that don't exactly match up with your HID, but still retain highbeam and the color is more visible during the day.
Actually, the CHEAPEST way is to leave the headlights in the "ON" position all the time.
Old 08-21-09, 05:34 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You can have whiter DRL and have amazing high beams too. I've been using these bulbs now for over a year and I am totally satisfied and no problems.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-drl-safe.html

Koz
Old 08-21-09, 05:41 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Or you can have the dealer turn off the DRL feature, that's what I did and love it.
Old 08-21-09, 05:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Or you can have the dealer turn off the DRL feature, that's what I did and love it.

same thing I did with my LPS adjustment at 1k
Old 08-21-09, 06:20 AM
kbkura
Driver

Koz, I read the other thread you posted.... so basically, if we pick a Halogen "Super White" or "Extreme White" bulb, it'll still be kinda yellowish? I looked on a couple of websites and none of the bulbs are rated higher than 5150K... is that still kinda yellow? I have LBeams and Fogs that are 6000K, so I kinda wanted it to match those. Is my best choice then LEDs? Thanks!

2009LEX, if you don't care about high-beams, go for the LEDs with modules... they look really clean from what I've seen.
Old 08-24-09, 07:33 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kbkura
Koz, I read the other thread you posted.... so basically, if we pick a Halogen "Super White" or "Extreme White" bulb, it'll still be kinda yellowish? I looked on a couple of websites and none of the bulbs are rated higher than 5150K... is that still kinda yellow? I have LBeams and Fogs that are 6000K, so I kinda wanted it to match those. Is my best choice then LEDs? Thanks!

2009LEX, if you don't care about high-beams, go for the LEDs with modules... they look really clean from what I've seen.
The reason most halogens are yellow is because the DRL run at lower voltage. This is why even with higher temp bulbs they are still yellow. This is why only a higher wattage bulb makes more of a difference.

Koz
Old 08-30-09, 09:01 AM
2009LEX
Driver

which leds work the best with the easiest install?
Old 08-31-09, 07:35 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

I just installed these over the weekend and very happy with the outcome
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...70276-1-3.html
Old 08-31-09, 11:57 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

I have Oracle 8k DRLs with the V-LED module fix and it i wouldn't describe it as "dim" =\ its actually pretty bright even during broad daylight when looking into it. they appear dim only without the module that makes them run at 100% all the time.

Originally Posted by 2009LEX
Which LED should I choose?

Which White halogen bulb do you think?

Thank you
Since you don't care about high beams, if you want better looks i'd go with LED or just turn it off.

Originally Posted by 2009LEX
which leds work the best with the easiest install?
Ok just so you know DRL's are your high beams at 50% power so they arn't blinding. the said no matter how "super white" or "cool blue" the halogen bulb is, it will always have some yellowish in it.

so when you put a LED in there it will only be getting 50% power so you should really install the DRL fix module that makes it run at 100% power all the time.

no matter which one you get, they're all going to be the same to install. Althought the Oracle ones seem to have fitament issues and require some sanding down, i'd get the V-LEDs package deal that includes the LEDs and the fix modules.

the DRL fix module...again i recommend you get the V-LED ones because they are alot smaller than the Oracle ones, making it easier to fit inside the housing cover.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...97704-1-3.html

but in summary, for awesome looks i'd go with what the above poster bought SolaraToIS^^

i will post pictures of my LEDs DRLs when i get home from work

Last edited by xuningshen; 08-31-09 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-31-09, 08:51 PM
2009LEX
Driver

Thanks dude! Besides price what is the difference between the link you posted and the link that Solara posted?

Thanks again.
Old 08-31-09, 08:58 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

ooh my bad man, ok the link that Solara posted is a package deal, that includes both the LEDs and the modules that are required for them to be running at 100% power all the time, the link i posted is just a single module. so u wanna get the link that he posted, sorry for the confusion

heres the pic.... for some reason it doesn't look that bright right there but its pretty bright. you can definately see it from a distance and it catches people's eyes.

Quick Reply: DRLs - Simplify for me please :)