IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

advice for first time tire replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 04:47 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber
how do you like the PS2? How many miles do you have on it already?
Performance wise they're probably the best money can buy, even there are pretty expensive. They are also very quiet and perform when you need them to (even in the rain). I've driven probably near 20k on them and there still alot of tread left. But then i'm mostly driving on the freeway 60mi/day since this is my commuter car. But i have no regrets spending the $$.
Old 08-24-09, 04:50 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XprincoX
Performance wise they're probably the best money can buy, even there are pretty expensive. They are also very quiet and perform when you need them to (even in the rain). I've driven probably near 20k on them and there still alot of tread left. But then i'm mostly driving on the freeway 60mi/day since this is my commuter car. But i have no regrets spending the $$.
I am planning to go that route also. How much tread do you estimate you have left in the inner side wall. I just know that the inner side wall is killing all the IS owners.. Many people said that they need to replace their tires at 20k..
Old 08-24-09, 04:54 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

i would say about 6-7/32 tread left since we looking at the tires last weekend at Musicbox when Tommy was doing some work for me and were still pretty good... but i'll see when i get off work. lol
Old 08-24-09, 05:42 PM
jsum
Driver School Candidate

I agree about the inner side walls, mine were shot, just had it realligned but I don't remember hitting any pot holes and I def don't drive off curbs..
Old 08-24-09, 06:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Never had a problem with inner edge wear. Outer tread blocks were gone pretty quickly, but I know why that happened - it's just my driving.
Old 08-24-09, 06:43 PM
LeXusIS714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend Bridgestone RE760 sport. Pretty good tires and at decent price IMO. These are going for $138 on tirerack compared to $238 for PS2.
Old 08-24-09, 07:55 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Phiber
I am planning to go that route also. How much tread do you estimate you have left in the inner side wall. I just know that the inner side wall is killing all the IS owners.. Many people said that they need to replace their tires at 20k..
well i just measured it... the rear is pretty even all the way across down to the middle of Lincoln's forehead, the front is alittle higher to about the bottom of where his hair starts, the top of his forehead...

Old 08-24-09, 08:03 PM
bjechols
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jsum
I need to replace my tires, and went to discount tire for quote and was advised to purchase the goodyear F1 ZR's. I have had a bad experience with the 'look' when going aftermarket on my last car. We all know that just because a tire is good DOESN'T mean it's good for the car's 'look' nor 'handling'....
Anyone have a good tire that looks and feels good on the lexus IS250? Thanks
I actually am selling a rear set of Goodyear F1 ZRs with a little over half the tread left if you want a more affordable route. Great tires, just moved to all season for the winter time. PM me if interested. I actually ended up replacing them with all season Goodyears as well. Let me know, b
Old 08-30-09, 08:59 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorSiempre

You know, that's all good and everything and I like Car & Driver and I have PS2s on my IS but I think Car & Driver is biased towards companies that generate advertising revenue for them. Hachette Filipacchi is a business not a Not-For-Profit Courtesy Consumer Awareness Forum Publication.

Much revenue for many Michelin ads in a year's worth of issues is reflected by favourable comments in stories and articles.

Now, if a comparison was performed and an article was written by Consumer Reports, that would be another story.

Incidently, for those of you who are wondering after all of this, I buy Michelin PS2s because I like Michelin tires as a result of real world personal experience using them in the conditions where I live; not because of some article in a car magazine.

Uh, did you actually -read- the article?

Because the actual content of it doesn't support your insinuation of dishonesty on their part at all.
Old 08-31-09, 08:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorSiempre
[I]Of course I read the article.

The author of the arrticle sounds elitist about the Michelin PS2 and subjectively favours it; without any scientific qualification except exactly that - that the PS2 is a favourite; even before the comparison test began and because fellow staffers said so.

And yet, he goes on to rate several much cheaper non-michelin tires better than the PS2 in many of the tests they did.

It's almost like you made up your own conclusion then ignored all the parts where the story directly proves it wrong.
Old 08-31-09, 09:30 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From a looks and performance perspective, I recommend getting 255/35-18's for the rear instead of the 255/40-18's. This will give the rear the same sidewall height as the front, which I think looks MUCH better. The lower profile also lowers the effective gearing, which gives the car a little more umph. The only downside is that it theoretically lowers the highway gas mileage very slightly, and makes your odometer and speedometer read slightly higher.
Old 08-31-09, 10:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
...The only downside is that it theoretically lowers the highway gas mileage very slightly, and makes your odometer and speedometer read slightly higher.
Have you measured this? I am really curious how it affects speed determination and odometer. I'm still trying to wrap my head around using all four wheels in aggregate for determining speed and distance. I understand it, but when you introduce a variable the way you have, I'm very curious what the actual result is.
Old 08-31-09, 10:24 AM
Dymelos
Rookie

I would go with the BFG G-Force kdw's. I have used them on many different cars and I absolutely love the milage I got out of mine. When I had a set on my Mitsu 3000gt Vr-4 I got 45k miles out of them before they needed to be replaced. I have them now on my IS350 and they work great, sticks to the ground very well, pretty quiet, very smooth and tons of tread on it. Not to mention the tread on it looks awesome on it as well. Its a great looking tire. At about 150 to 160 a piece at sam's club and coscto its also one of the cheapest tires you can buy in an 18 for your IS as well.
Old 08-31-09, 10:36 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Have you measured this? I am really curious how it affects speed determination and odometer. I'm still trying to wrap my head around using all four wheels in aggregate for determining speed and distance. I understand it, but when you introduce a variable the way you have, I'm very curious what the actual result is.
I did measure it years ago, and probably posted the before and after results, but I don't remember what they were. However, I did a test this weekend using my current tires (235/40-18 front and 265/35-18 rear).

I set my cruise control at a GPS speed of 70 MPH. The speedometer read about 73 MPH. Then I reset my AVG Speed indicator, and it immediately calculated a new average speed of 71 MPH. My GPS speed did fluctuate some between 70 and 71, so I assume it was really about 70.5 MPH (my GPS doesn't go down to tenths).

After that, I used my GPS to calculate travel distance and simultaneously reset my trip odometer. After 15 miles, my GPS was indicating just 0.1 miles less.
Old 08-31-09, 12:27 PM
oanda
Driver School Candidate

I recently replaced the original Bridgestone Turanzas with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo and I'm very pleased so far.

Quick Reply: advice for first time tire replacement