IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paddle Shifters don't respond quickly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 09:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

If you're going 40 mph in 6th and you hit the paddle for 5th you'll get 5th. If you floor it, it will downshift to 3rd without any intervention on your part. That's the problem. If I ask for 5th, I want 5th and no other gear. You can't do that with the 350 or the 250.
Old 08-26-09, 09:36 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you're going 40 mph in 6th and you hit the paddle for 5th you'll get 5th. If you floor it, it will downshift to 3rd without any intervention on your part. That's the problem. If I ask for 5th, I want 5th and no other gear. You can't do that with the 350 or the 250.
yep, also going up is true too... going say 20 in 3rd and you click up to 5, you'll still be going 20 in 3rd, the tranny will now be allowed to shift to 5 if it so chooses... but really were just looking for faults here, as i said before, when pushing it in the twisties it works fine 'the way i want it to'... im not gonna sweat the going slow stuff, thats what D is for anywayz If we wanted TRUE sports cars, we wouldn't have gone into a lexus stealership in the first place right?
Old 08-26-09, 09:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

True enough. There's a reason my Supra sits next to my F. Still, the paddles were one of the driving forces pushing me from the 350 to the F. It's incomparably better.
Old 08-26-09, 09:47 PM
Sodeti
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of you have pointed to the car 'learning your driving style', does anyone know how much driving is required to make the car behave like a fuel efficient car vs a sports car? So, if I drive conservatively for an hour is that enough for the ECU to behave differently...?
Old 08-26-09, 10:26 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sodeti
Many of you have pointed to the car 'learning your driving style', does anyone know how much driving is required to make the car behave like a fuel efficient car vs a sports car? So, if I drive conservatively for an hour is that enough for the ECU to behave differently...?

I doubt 1 hour is enough.

If you don't like the way the ECU behaves it's no big deal, you can always reset it (I think?) at the stealership

Can anyone confirm/deny
Old 08-26-09, 10:32 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

And by the way just for clarification, the "fuel efficiency" comes from the car tending to put you in higher gears more quickly and more often (5, 6)

At full WOT with trac/vsc off you will always get maximum performance. It's just how the ECU shifts you into the highest gears during partial throttle that is a function of the ECU "learning" your driving style.

For example, after 2000 miles of pretty soft driving (I really don't have the opportunity to drive aggressively/accelerate quickly, I'm living in slowpoke land here) if I'm cruising at 65 in 6th gera and give maybe 35% throttle, the car will shift me into 5th for acceleration.

In ECT PWR mode, if I do the same thing (cruising at 65 in 6th gear) it will put me into 4th gear instead of 5th
Old 08-26-09, 10:32 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

you can just reset it yourself. I reset it myself last week and now the car is super responsive.
Old 08-26-09, 10:35 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smokyis350
you can just reset it yourself. I reset it myself last week and now the car is super responsive.
That's good to know. Yeah I remember when I first got my car it was SUPER responsive. I would tap it and it would give too much acceleration for stop and go traffic.

After so much of that the ECU finally learned and the it's perfect for my driving conditions now.

How do you reset it again, or is this in the manual?
Old 08-26-09, 10:44 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the paddle shifters are only for certain occasions when you want to keep it in te power range like that guy said.... if you wanted a manual then you should of bought one.. .why complain that its not as good as a manual if you didnt buy one???? ya know
Old 08-26-09, 10:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
I think that the paddle shifters are only for certain occasions when you want to keep it in te power range like that guy said.... if you wanted a manual then you should of bought one.. .why complain that its not as good as a manual if you didnt buy one???? ya know
Because they did it right in the F, and it's better than a manual. So they CAN do it, they just choose NOT to do it.
Old 08-26-09, 11:07 PM
intekmdma
Driver

Never tried using the paddle shift. Probably wont need to after reading these posts
Old 08-27-09, 04:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Because they did it right in the F, and it's better than a manual. So they CAN do it, they just choose NOT to do it.
In fairness, the ISx50 transmission was developed, what, 3 or 4 years before the one in the IS-F? Plus, the F is 10-15k more, and nearly all that $ is in the engine/transmission. It's not like they could've just offered the same transmission in the 2006 ISx50 for the same cost if they'd felt like it.

IIRC they F transmission is a significantly modified version of the one in the LS, modded to offer exactly the kinda behavior we're desiring here (better than a manual performance, shift speeds, etc)... they COULD now work on modding the transmissions in the ISx50 in a similar fashion, I mean, I'd love to have the shifting of the F too, but at this point in the product cycle it makes a lot more sense to work on that for the 3rd gen IS than to try and add squeeze it into the last year or two of production on the 2nd gen car.
Old 08-28-09, 02:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

So would a "grounding kit" correct this problem? My friends G suffered from a lot of lag in the transmission when in S mode. After he got the grounding kit, it shifts almost instantaneously. Are any grounding kits available for our cars?
Old 08-28-09, 04:38 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So would a "grounding kit" correct this problem?
No.

Because it's not a problem.

The system is working -exactly- as it's supposed to.

The only "problem" is people who keep thinking those paddles are supposed to actually shift the transmission, rather than change the selected range of available gears.
Old 08-28-09, 05:50 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
No.

Because it's not a problem.

The system is working -exactly- as it's supposed to.

The only "problem" is people who keep thinking those paddles are supposed to actually shift the transmission, rather than change the selected range of available gears.
Exactly!

To add to that, the trans' programing is amazing as to selecting the best gear and how fast it shifts. At WOT the trans keeps the engine's RPM in the perfect power range. Also when using the power mode the trans even downshifts sooner under hard braking to really help shed speed. One of the slickest ordinary trans I have ever owned.

Koz

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters don't respond quickly?