IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paddle Shifters don't respond quickly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 05:27 PM
Blue4reF1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shifters don't respond quickly?

Does anyone else experience this? When I shift around 4-6RPMs it takes the car a few seconds to shift and the RPMs go all over the place sometimes. On my A4 with the paddles it's pretty much instant. Anyone have this problem and any way to fix it?
Old 08-25-09, 05:30 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working as designed. The paddles are a gimmick, all the paddles do is limit the gearbox to shift up until that gear and no higher.
Old 08-25-09, 05:32 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

I honestly think that Lexus place these paddles for our amusement only...they do seem to "think" before the gear changes....so your situation is unfortunately normal....but I can only imagine how useful they are on your dad's Ferrari
Old 08-25-09, 05:38 PM
Blue4reF1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jns350
I honestly think that Lexus place these paddles for our amusement only...they do seem to "think" before the gear changes....so your situation is unfortunately normal....but I can only imagine how useful they are on your dad's Ferrari
My dads old 355 was a F1 (Paddle shifter). Our new Ferrari is a three pedal car . But I'm very disappointed Lexus wouldn't make the paddles involving, because that car would be so much more fun if it didn't make the decision! Oh well...
Old 08-25-09, 06:07 PM
SPS
Rookie

When I shift with the paddles, I can count to seven before it shifts ( OK, I am counting very quickly, but just the same, I can count to seven ) . The system is a joke.
Your Audi must have the dual clutch transmission. The best system going. Period. Seems that all the top performance cars are going that way.
Old 08-25-09, 06:18 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I hate calling them paddle shifters also, complete misnomer. Let's start calling them gear limiters (aka what they actually are), and they do have limited use (primarily with the down gear limiter) when you think the car is putting you in too high of a gear.

I'll give you a relevant example of where I use them. I actually made a thread about this recently.

I am at a T junction (at a stop sign). In front of me is a 65 MPH freeway. Thus, I need to take a sharp ~90 degree turn in order to get into this 65 MPH freeway.

I cannot accelerate hard from the start, that would completely cause the car to lose control. There's too much hp/torque to do that on a 90 degree turn AND there is a small annoying "mini speed bump" that separates this freeway from the stop sign, so I like to ease over it.

I ease over it and what happens next? The car automatically puts me into 2nd gear in about a second and I am going about 5 MPH and am finally on the freeway.

Well, I don't want this. I don't need to accelerate from 0 in 1st gear, but it would be nice right? Otherwise what's the point.

I press the down gear limiter and thus force it into 1st. I start accelerating and IMMEDIATELY after I start accelerating I press the up gear limiters back up to "6" as fast as possible.

All of this can be done in "D" mode for me because I have the '09 version.

Back during break in period I really babied the car a lot and as a result the ECU felt the need to constantly put me in the highest gears possible for saving gas, which is fine this is what I actually want 99% of the time.

But for this 1% I prefer aggressive shifting (aka start in 1st gear not 2nd) and the gear limiters let me do that.

This is not to say the gear limiters are more useful than actual manual transmission. MT is far and away superior, but the gear limiters do have limited use (no pun intended)

Actually that pun was intended.
Old 08-25-09, 09:23 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove an ISF the other day and MY god the paddles are fast as crap compared to the IS350, as soon as you hit it it switches gears, drive one and you will understand
Old 08-25-09, 09:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,991 Likes on 2,415 Posts

This was one of my deciding factors for the F.
Old 08-25-09, 11:05 PM
yOyOYoo
Rookie

I don't even bother with my paddle shifters or sport shift. It's not fun at all.
Old 08-25-09, 11:17 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

If this was my only car, I would have traded it in already for the F or a manual tranny car. The tranny's shift logic sucks *****. The auto tranny does shift fast while accelerating, but sucks when trying to take control
Old 08-25-09, 11:54 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

The S-mode and accompanying paddle shifters are not really "shifters" in that they don't actually shift gears, nor were they designed to - they're merely a mechanism for manually selecting the gear range. Following is Lexus' description of the paddle shifters, taken from the New Car Features section of the FSM:

By moving the shift lever to the front (“+” position) or to the rear (“-” position), the driver can select the desired shift range position. Also, the shift paddle switch is adopted, which enables changing the shift ranges while the driver is holding the steering wheel. Thus, the driver is able to shift gears with a manual-like feel.

This Multi-mode automatic transmission is designed to allow the driver to switch the gear ranges; not for manually selecting single gears.
Javier
Old 08-26-09, 12:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I do not notice any difference in shifting time with the paddles and gear shifter. They are both slow. But I agree about the F's unit. That thing shifted absolutely instantly and was amazing. I'd so pay extra for that tranny, it's not even funny. I pray Lexus gives us that thing with the 3IS.
Old 08-26-09, 01:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Are there any grounding kits available for the ISX50? Those can help in some instances. My friend's G benefited from a grounding kit
Old 08-26-09, 05:00 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The manual mode should be used to keep the engine in the power curve (RPM range) when going to pass or going through/out of a curve. You can also use the manual mode to shed some speed. The manual mode on the IS does not make the trans a manual, it only allows you to select a lower gear when needed. I found the manual mode to be very effective when I am playing with another car. I can sit in a low gear, with revs up, waiting for a break. As soon as I get my break, I paddle up to 5th so I can concentrate on driving and let the trans take care of the up shifting (The speed limiter kicks in on 5th gear so 6th gear is not needed, at all, when playing). If there is a need to start from a lower speed again, I simply paddle down again.

Koz
Old 08-26-09, 06:13 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The manual mode should be used to keep the engine in the power curve (RPM range) when going to pass or going through/out of a curve. You can also use the manual mode to shed some speed.
These are about the only times I bother shifting to manual mode, especially when accelerating out of a turn. Otherwise, its unfortunate it doesn't have the shift features of the IS-F.

I'd love to see a modification to modify the behavior, though.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters don't respond quickly?