IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Caught A Rock...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 01:51 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caught A Rock...

...off the highway yesterday....smashed right into the windshield and left this chip right in front of my view...talk about obstructing my view and giving me visual headaches!!!...it's driving me crazy. Going to get it repaired this friday. I can't seem to get that sound out of my head when that rock hit it....LOL.
Old 08-26-09, 02:27 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats alright...I watched (it was like slow-motion Matrix style) a rock come off a trucks tire and smash my windshield. Right below the rear-view mirror. Best part was I had 200 miles on the car, I had it filled...but you could always see it. Looked at it for 3 years...ughhh.
Old 08-26-09, 03:23 PM
lilbluu
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusSC430
Thats alright...I watched (it was like slow-motion Matrix style) a rock come off a trucks tire and smash my windshield. Right below the rear-view mirror. Best part was I had 200 miles on the car, I had it filled...but you could always see it. Looked at it for 3 years...ughhh.
i had a chip on my windshield for years in the center. one day i decided to park near a sprinkler and it goes off at night and the nights get really cold. woke up the next day the chip was a crack across the length of my entire windshield.
Old 08-26-09, 03:26 PM
Thr3350
Pole Position

You're going to get it repaired or replaced?
Old 08-26-09, 03:32 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear...so far been lucky to have the rock slide of my windshield. However, I got my first rock chip (on the hood) few days ago. I'm but at the same time I understand I can't keep my IS in showroom condition if I drive daily.
Old 08-26-09, 03:35 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

i got a rock chip on my hood as well, 2 to be exact
Old 08-26-09, 03:45 PM
350forMe
Rookie

i was unfortunate once and on my day off i drove to work to pick something up and in return i got my windshield cracked by a rock on the freeway. I too will never forget the sound.

I went to lexus to get a qoute for a replaced windshield and i was shocked, they said it could cost me around 1600-2000 to replace it. I dont understand how it cant be a straight answer and say it will cost you "this amount." I doubt if i asked for an f-sport intake they would say "it would cost you between 300-500," seriously how bad does that sound to your clients when you have no straight answers and it seems your trying to overcharge loyal customers. Oh by the way this was at Cerritos Lexus, they are normally good, but they have some bad apples working there that is slowly bringing their status customer service down.

they also denied me for replacing my cold start cranking noise, they claim they couldnt reproduce the sound. I think they are bull****, not cool :-(

i still have that cold start sounds, its worse than ever and is more frequent now. I might take it in again, this time they have to easily replicate the sound.
Old 08-26-09, 05:04 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depending on how bad the damage is, you can try a 5 dollar bottle of fix-a-windshield from your local autozone..
Old 08-26-09, 08:21 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Thr3350
You're going to get it repaired or replaced?
I'm getting it repaired. Insurance got it covered.

Originally Posted by joeker
depending on how bad the damage is, you can try a 5 dollar bottle of fix-a-windshield from your local autozone..
Oh it hit hard I can damn near feel the indentation on the inside....

That sound...(pop-crack)...I can't shake it!
Old 08-26-09, 08:43 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about your accident. I just got my front windshield replaced, it was hit by a small rock too. The crack started to shatter in a few hours because of the heat. It was replaced by Lexus through insurance. Total cost was $1600. I just paid the deductable. Good luck with your situation.
Old 08-26-09, 08:59 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by initial g
sorry to hear about your accident. I just got my front windshield replaced, it was hit by a small rock too. The crack started to shatter in a few hours because of the heat. It was replaced by lexus through insurance. Total cost was $1600. I just paid the deductable. Good luck with your situation.
$1600...omg
Old 08-26-09, 11:11 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I also had a rock hit my windshield... a small crack turned into one spanning the entire windshield in only a few hours... had to replace the whole thing.

I also have a chip on my hood....

Our cars love rocks
Old 08-26-09, 11:35 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Initial G
Sorry to hear about your accident. I just got my front windshield replaced, it was hit by a small rock too. The crack started to shatter in a few hours because of the heat. It was replaced by Lexus through insurance. Total cost was $1600. I just paid the deductable. Good luck with your situation.
Sorry to say, the dealer charged you twice the amount to replace your windshield. Keep in mind, dealers DO NOT replace windshields they use auto glass vendors. So $800 went to the vendor, and $800 to the dealer.

I know this for a fact because I was a victim with my M3. I had to replaced M3 windshield twice. First time I took to dealership (I thought it was the best place to have windshield repaired) I was charged $1400. Second time it happened I got smarter. I contacted a local auto glass repair shop (just curious to know how much they will charge me) I was quoted $600 for the same windshield. Vendor/Owner said, "don't take your car to dealer...they will charge you double. Also, we do windshield repair for BMW dealerships all the time."
Old 08-27-09, 12:32 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i gotta rock chip the size of a pencil eraser on the passenger side center too. sticks out like a sore thumb. insurance filled it in. its been 8 months now and its slowly beginning to crack. gonna replace it soon. i just hate to have to replace it and remove the factory windsheild seal. make sure to get a OEM lexus windshield!
Old 08-27-09, 12:50 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu
i gotta rock chip the size of a pencil eraser on the passenger side center too. sticks out like a sore thumb. insurance filled it in. its been 8 months now and its slowly beginning to crack. gonna replace it soon. i just hate to have to replace it and remove the factory windsheild seal. make sure to get a OEM lexus windshield!
I have PPG glass... not OEM ... and I can't tell the difference. No distortions or anything. And apparently, PPG makes OEM windshields for brands such as BMW, etc...

Quick Reply: Caught A Rock...