IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer Service Oil Change- Now Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 01:28 AM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Service Oil Change- Now Oil leak

Just want to get it off my chest about this guys, its not a big deal, but another reminder how a simple task can go wrong at the dealer.

I took my car in for 15k oil change only, and tonight i noticed oil where i park in the garage. The good thing the oil is clear, so they did change it...but its been leaking for at least 600 miles. So I have to bring it in tomorrow, and probably waste 2 hrs waiting since its a Friday...always busy.

Not sure how much been leaking, but damn!!!

Does anyone else had this happened to them? how did you guys handle it? Should I ask for something like discount for next service? or just take an apology from the service guy and walk away?

Thanks
Old 08-28-09, 01:30 AM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unacceptable in my opinion, when you fill out those evaluations be sure to include this incident.
Old 08-28-09, 07:09 AM
rac2max
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gc86
Unacceptable in my opinion, when you fill out those evaluations be sure to include this incident.
mistakes....everyone makes mistakes, as long as it's fixed and they apologize about it...should just let it go. Bad evaluations could hurt someone's career. Just my 2c
Old 08-28-09, 09:20 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

^^^ +1 i am sure they will give you some type of future discount or credit.
Old 08-28-09, 09:41 AM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rac2max
mistakes....everyone makes mistakes, as long as it's fixed and they apologize about it...should just let it go. Bad evaluations could hurt someone's career. Just my 2c
This is true but if a entry-level technician working at Lexus cannot complete a simple oil change without properly tightening the drain plug or the filter element canister they shouldn't be doing oil changes on 40k+ cars. My 2 cents.

edit: i'm a little harsh to judge with this type of scenario because i've done entry-level tech work including oil changes and i've encountered a ton of lazy and careless techs which don't take pride in the work they do causing complaints and a bad rep towards the company they work for

Last edited by gc86; 08-28-09 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-28-09, 09:49 AM
ltran
Rookie

there's really no excuse for a simple job that you're paying for. but i always try to say "everyone has their bad days" sorry u had to come in on the tech's bad day.
Old 08-28-09, 11:07 AM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Yeah everyone make mistake, especially during a simple oil job...one of those too much repetition 'mistake'.

But gc86 is right, we expect them to be professional at a Lexus dealer, I didn't take my car in for an oil change at Jiffy Lube. Especially, if I didn't noticed the oil now, I could've damage my engine later.

About to head out to the dealer, I feel like asking them for a loaner for the whole day, take it to the Bay area for a date.

Last edited by speed_Demo; 08-28-09 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-28-09, 11:15 AM
loftus112
Pole Position

Keep us posted on what they say and what you can milk outta the dealer.
Old 08-28-09, 11:56 AM
tC_demon
Pole Position

But make sure to state how they handle the problem. Bad evaluations is part of having a job in customer service.
Old 08-28-09, 01:09 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

let us know the outcome....
Old 08-28-09, 02:08 PM
intekmdma
Driver

Originally Posted by gc86
This is true but if a entry-level technician working at Lexus cannot complete a simple oil change without properly tightening the drain plug or the filter element canister they shouldn't be doing oil changes on 40k+ cars. My 2 cents.

edit: i'm a little harsh to judge with this type of scenario because i've done entry-level tech work including oil changes and i've encountered a ton of lazy and careless techs which don't take pride in the work they do causing complaints and a bad rep towards the company they work for
agreed with your edit part!
Old 08-28-09, 03:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I am curious how the customer is handled in this case.

So far it doesn't reflect well on the service department, considering that double-check procedures must be part of the process.
Old 08-28-09, 03:59 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_Demo
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Yeah everyone make mistake, especially during a simple oil job...one of those too much repetition 'mistake'.

But gc86 is right, we expect them to be professional at a Lexus dealer, I didn't take my car in for an oil change at Jiffy Lube. Especially, if I didn't noticed the oil now, I could've damage my engine later.

About to head out to the dealer, I feel like asking them for a loaner for the whole day, take it to the Bay area for a date.
Entirely possible it's not the dealers fault.
Could have been a bad gasket and the leak might not have shown up while in the shop. I don't believe you mentioned how much oil was under the vehicle, but it appears that it wasn't enough for you to feel that you needed to add any to drive safely.
Old 08-29-09, 07:20 PM
hmsis250
Pole Position

that's why when it comes to my cars I do what I can on my own. Especially oil changes!
Old 08-29-09, 07:27 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I can't recall the last time I had an oil change done and there wasn't oil leaking because they hadn't tightened the filter properly.

Quick Reply: Dealer Service Oil Change- Now Oil leak