IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Going up hill driveways at an angle: How do you coilver brotha's deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-09, 11:25 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

roll em or flare them. haha.

the sacrifices of driving pretty.
Old 08-29-09, 01:13 PM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by illmike
make sure you shave the edges of the front fenders since there rubing on it. my tire got cought on fender and pulled/bent my fender edge. i was fine riding low the whole time. it seems like you have to just "catch" it perfectly on a driveway going up, at just the right angle. it can happen so just be aware
This happen to me too, you just have to cut into the dip going straight and then slightly turn the wheel.
Old 08-29-09, 01:17 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

I just turn the radio up and pretend it never happened or I will austin powers it and get a decent angle back up and do it again for a better one
Old 08-29-09, 08:36 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can widen your fenders. or you can get smaller front tires or you can just live with it. going low has a price and in my other car i pay the price. when i enter my driveway i scrape fraim everytime. and when i lay out the car it sits on my front fenders.
Old 08-29-09, 09:41 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

it a jdm thang...
Old 08-29-09, 09:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Are these cars supposed to be driven?... No way.
Old 08-30-09, 02:37 AM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

scraping is a daily... full slam on Tein SS

if you cant angle the driveway then park on the street and walk =)
Old 08-30-09, 02:48 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dangy
Ohhh I thought you already rolled your fenders.....ROLL YOUR FENDERS! Problem solved.
+1 dangy, simple solution, problem solved
Old 08-30-09, 12:37 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

angle your ride right b4 you enter driveways then straighten out your wheels then drive staight up if you haven't tried that already
Old 08-30-09, 03:51 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

My car scrape everywhere I go and it dont bother me.. ONce I raise up my car on the mechanical lift and look underneat.. EVerything look fine except the car shell show tons of scrape everywhere.. That is not an option for made me worry... The engine and transmission is number one issue to me because the car need them to run.. When I see the speed bump or overramp, I made a turn not going straight. Also the front fender meet the bumper, I made a little custom my own and it work perfectly fine. I also cut the fender liner in half.. I finally found the answer myself for what cause the car made rub.. Wrong size tire, and the offset is not correct.. Once I had low offset as Rezax and the Borphes on coilover, it rub really crazy. But I put 215 series tires on both rims and it dont help because the offset is not correct.. So the last rims I have Weds Kranze, they are 42 et all around plus 5mm spacers equal to 37 et.. I was surprise they dont rub when I lower more.. PRetty impressive

Last edited by VIS250P; 08-30-09 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-30-09, 06:46 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VIS250P
My car scrape everywhere I go and it dont bother me.. ONce I raise up my car on the mechanical lift and look underneat.. EVerything look fine except the car shell show tons of scrape everywhere.. That is not an option for made me worry... The engine and transmission is number one issue to me because the car need them to run.. When I see the speed bump or overramp, I made a turn not going straight. Also the front fender meet the bumper, I made a little custom my own and it work perfectly fine. I also cut the fender liner in half.. I finally found the answer myself for what cause the car made rub.. Wrong size tire, and the offset is not correct.. Once I had low offset as Rezax and the Borphes on coilover, it rub really crazy. But I put 215 series tires on both rims and it dont help because the offset is not correct.. So the last rims I have Weds Kranze, they are 42 et all around plus 5mm spacers equal to 37 et.. I was surprise they dont rub when I lower more.. PRetty impressive
^ Thanks for the input.
Old 09-19-09, 01:40 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIS250P
Also the front fender meet the bumper, I made a little custom my own and it work perfectly fine.
Mind telling us the custom work? My bumper is sticking out now, the bolt that holds the bumper to the right fender just snaps and the bracket on the bumper that holds the bolt broke...
Old 09-19-09, 02:05 PM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe ur offset is to low i had this same problem with my other car what i did was sold those rims and bought higher offset.
Old 10-07-09, 01:03 AM
Stevoe88
Lead Lap

Mdgrwl, you wont have a bigger gap by rolling your fenders. It's only when you flare them outwards where you'll see a TINY bit of space but not much to notice. Either way, even if you flare them you wont tell the difference you'll increase the wheelgap by like 1mm at most.
How did get rid of your wheel touching the fender lining/bumper bolt? That + the fender liner is where I rub going straight. Going up/down inclines I rub everything.
Old 10-07-09, 01:10 AM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by radicalrev
Mind telling us the custom work? My bumper is sticking out now, the bolt that holds the bumper to the right fender just snaps and the bracket on the bumper that holds the bolt broke...
areukhmr and i shaved the tab quite a bit to help prevent it from rubbing much on his new setup. the only option you have now since your tab is broken is fabricate your own tab and angle it up so it doesnt rub against it. if you can get pictures of what your fender looks like now i'll figure out a way where we can tap a new tab for you to hold your bumper to your fender

Quick Reply: Going up hill driveways at an angle: How do you coilver brotha's deal?