IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Going up hill driveways at an angle: How do you coilver brotha's deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 10:27 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

hahahaha happens to me all the time. my fenders a little out of shape. barely noticeable though. what can we do? lol raise it? thats just crazy talk though right? LOL
Old 08-28-09, 10:29 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh i rub a lot to..My Coilovers are set to the stiffest setting..If i have a passenger that weighs over 190 then i rub way more...Car handles way better but i do rub a tad...
Old 08-28-09, 11:30 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

daily driven that low and i have clearance problems but u get used to it. Mdgrwl u gonna be going to the liberty state park meet this sunday the 30th? we can talk then. u too Mike, better come out.

Last edited by LiCelsior; 08-29-09 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-28-09, 11:44 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You angle your way in and if it still makes noise then you deal with it and you just got to face the fact that theres some places you just cant do no more. Welcome to the world of a slammed car.
Old 08-28-09, 11:53 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
boooooooooooo

raising my car isn't an option!

I guess I just gotta take turns into driveways wider so I hit them more straight on?

anyone else find a way to 'deal' w/ this situation?
yes it is.

you just choose to not acknowledge that option because you're more concerned about your 2is looking slammed than your 2is kinking the fenders and causing the paint the get rubbed off by the tires.

i'd look into fender rolling - if your fenders don't require body work already.

either that, or you just might have to raise your 2is ever so slightly.
Old 08-28-09, 11:56 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Ohhh I thought you already rolled your fenders.....ROLL YOUR FENDERS! Problem solved.
Old 08-29-09, 12:25 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ok sorry im just now reading this lol. but next time you encounter a driveway like this with a steep angle...angle your CAR but keep your wheels STRAIGHT. once your first wheel gets over the initial part of the driveway, turn a little bit into the direction of the driveway but not all the way. once your other front wheel passes the incline, then proceed to drive up the driveway at any steering angle you need to. usually, if space permits, having your car angled 45 degrees before the driveway is the best way to drive up it. have you tried to see if your GFX front will clear the slope without even going at it at an angle?

hope this helps
Old 08-29-09, 12:30 AM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Just stretch your tires more!!
Old 08-29-09, 05:59 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fishnfool
I know exactly what you're experiencing. My tires have pulled the inside fender metal outwards. I've went with less aggressive offsets and even tried stretching the tires a little, but to no avail. When possible, I enter driveways from the opposite side of the street and enter at an angle with my wheels straight. If I make a right hand turn into a driveway, I go wide and slow and try to enter with my wheels as straight as possible. Price you gotta pay to go low
This is the conclusion I'm coming to as well.

I don't rub my fender when I turn on FLAT surfaces (like normal driving on streets). Its only when going up a drive way. The wheel gets pushed up into the fender well and there's just no way around this I guess... well, I could always raise my car Yeah, thats not gonna happen
Old 08-29-09, 06:04 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dangy
Ohhh I thought you already rolled your fenders.....ROLL YOUR FENDERS! Problem solved.
Roll the Front Fenders
I have my rears rolled, but were not talking about the rears....

I honestly don't see the point in rolling the front fenders. Rolling them will only push them further way from the tire. I would see rolling the front fender's ultimate goal, to push the fender not only away but also UP away from the tire. Visually speaking, might as well just raise the car, it will 'look' the same.

Pushed up fenders, or raised up car. Same difference.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 08-29-09 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-29-09, 06:07 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chrIS250
ok sorry im just now reading this lol. but next time you encounter a driveway like this with a steep angle...angle your CAR but keep your wheels STRAIGHT. once your first wheel gets over the initial part of the driveway, turn a little bit into the direction of the driveway but not all the way. once your other front wheel passes the incline, then proceed to drive up the driveway at any steering angle you need to. usually, if space permits, having your car angled 45 degrees before the driveway is the best way to drive up it. have you tried to see if your GFX front will clear the slope without even going at it at an angle?

hope this helps
Yeah, this is what I'm going to have to start doing. I honestly never played around with entering driveways like this before (just got the coilovers installed last week) so this is all new to me.

I'll start hitting driveways as straight as possible, or use the described method above.

All this may seem like a hassle to some, but to me its all WELL worth it!
Old 08-29-09, 06:33 AM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Roll the Front Fenders
I have my rears rolled, but were not talking about the rears....

I honestly don't see the point in rolling the front fenders. Rolling them will only push them further way from the tire. I would see rolling the front fender's ultimate goal, to push the fender not only away but also UP away from the tire. Visually speaking, might as well just raise the car, it will 'look' the same.

Pushed up fenders, or raised up car. Same difference.
You say your rubbing FENDER right? Roll and flare them. Thats what I did and I dont rub fender only fender liner.
Old 08-29-09, 06:47 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dangy
You say your rubbing FENDER right? Roll and flare them. Thats what I did and I dont rub fender only fender liner.
Its an option I'll keep in mind, thanks.
I just don't see the point honestly. In my mind, you might as well just raise the car a little bit then.

By rolling/flaring the fender, your creating more of a gap between your fender and your tire... so they don't touch.
Well raising your car also creates more of a gap betwee your fender and tire, same exact thing.

Visually speaking, it would 'look' the same. I'd rather just raise the car 1mm then flare my fender 1mm... oh yeah, I did say raising my car wasn't an option right?

ChrIS250, you know what I'm talking about right?
Old 08-29-09, 08:18 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250

hope this helps
Chris is 100% right here. I completely unrolled my driver side fender by having the tire tread grab onto it when going up a driveway. If your front is low enough for this to happen, you have to either get a smaller (more narrow) tire, and/or learn how to position your car when taking these turns so that your wheels remain straight when the suspension gets compressed. Your only other options are to pull/roll the fender or raise the car.

Javier
Old 08-29-09, 08:28 AM
illmike
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure you shave the edges of the front fenders since there rubing on it. my tire got cought on fender and pulled/bent my fender edge. i was fine riding low the whole time. it seems like you have to just "catch" it perfectly on a driveway going up, at just the right angle. it can happen so just be aware

Quick Reply: Going up hill driveways at an angle: How do you coilver brotha's deal?