IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Going up hill driveways at an angle: How do you coilver brotha's deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 06:52 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going up hill driveways at an angle: How do you coilver brotha's deal?

So I just got my coilover drop where I want it
I even did some MAJOR front fender mods so I wouldn't rub on every bump/dip - all in check, done, good, A-OK

So I'm set, right... of course not! Now when going up drive ways or entering parking lots that are an an upward slope/hill at an angle my tire tread rubs the actual fender lip itself! "GRIND"

What do ya'll do about this? Stiffening the dampening and/or springs wont help will it?
Old 08-28-09, 07:10 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only way to prevent this is to raise your car up. Other than that there's nothing you can do.
Old 08-28-09, 07:31 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

boooooooooooo

raising my car isn't an option!

I guess I just gotta take turns into driveways wider so I hit them more straight on?

anyone else find a way to 'deal' w/ this situation?
Old 08-28-09, 07:37 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

What do you mean fender lip by the way?
Old 08-28-09, 07:52 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber
What do you mean fender lip by the way?
he probably means where you would shave/heatgun your fender wall
Old 08-28-09, 08:18 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

seriously thats how it will always be bro. I rub all the time going up driveways. It doesnt bother me cause i know its not actually bending my fenders or breaking it in any ways. You're only hearing the liners being rub, you'll get use to it. As i stated last time, set all your settings to soft, maybe you'll notice a different as your new coilovers are setting in. But i pretty much master all the angles to getting up any driveways
Old 08-28-09, 08:30 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Phil888
seriously thats how it will always be bro. I rub all the time going up driveways. It doesnt bother me cause i know its not actually bending my fenders or breaking it in any ways. You're only hearing the liners being rub, you'll get use to it. As i stated last time, set all your settings to soft, maybe you'll notice a different as your new coilovers are setting in. But i pretty much master all the angles to getting up any driveways
No - I'm not talking about the fender liners. The black plastic inner liner? No, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the actual edge of my fender, the part that is actually painted (SGM in my case). My tire tread (not the side wall) - the actual tread rubs against the painted portion of my fender (and I belive its even starting to cause chips).

Again, this only happens though when the wheel is turned pretty hard, and while going up (or down) a steep hill onto flat pavement (just like a drive way).

Last time it happened I actually stoped the car dead in its tracks, put it in park and went out and saw what was going on. The tire tread (again, the part that is in contact with the road) - THAT part is rubbing my fender (not black fender liner)

ChrIS250 - where you at? You probably know exactly what I'm talking about you gangsta low rider you. What do I do?
Old 08-28-09, 08:32 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

take a picture.. a lot of us are clueless right now
Old 08-28-09, 08:40 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I think if you continue hitting the fender where it's painted, you may risk bending the fender, causing the paint to crack or chip. I think the most immediate solution to the avoid those steep driveways. If not, go with a stretched tire setup so there is some more clearance. I am not sure what are the offsets on your Volks, but maybe milling and go 2mm higher in offset may help somewhat.

If all the above is not an option, then I guess you have to stick with your ride height and try getting used to the intermittent rubbing issues.

Pictures would definately help
Old 08-28-09, 08:50 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try to avoid those for now unless you want to bend your body panels lol. Don't want to get ripples on your fenders cuz that's like stretch marks on fat chicks lol
Old 08-28-09, 08:53 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

u just gotta learn how to angle it...sounds like ur not doing enough of it.. tire rub while turning is daily to me lol, also scraping my exhaust going straight.
Old 08-28-09, 08:55 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
u just gotta learn how to angle it...sounds like ur not doing enough of it.. tire rub while turning is daily to me lol, also scraping my exhaust going straight.
You one crazy man Joe
Old 08-28-09, 09:06 PM
areukhmer
Lexus Test Driver

i have the same issues and that being with the weak offset of my old wheels (iForged). And with my new set coming in soon, I don't even want to think about it LOL.

U GOTTA PAY TO PLAY!!!
Old 08-28-09, 09:33 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
You one crazy man Joe
just a little . see u sunday!
Old 08-28-09, 09:59 PM
fishnfool
Driver

I know exactly what you're experiencing. My tires have pulled the inside fender metal outwards. I've went with less aggressive offsets and even tried stretching the tires a little, but to no avail. When possible, I enter driveways from the opposite side of the street and enter at an angle with my wheels straight. If I make a right hand turn into a driveway, I go wide and slow and try to enter with my wheels as straight as possible. Price you gotta pay to go low

Quick Reply: Going up hill driveways at an angle: How do you coilver brotha's deal?