IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Curt Trailer Hitch Installed on IS350

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 04:14 PM
diulei
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long would you guys say it took each of you?
Old 12-22-10, 08:09 AM
lancematic
Driver School Candidate

Took about 30 mins with air tools. I removed the whole axle back exhaust for ease of install. Use WD40 to have the exhaust slip on/off the hangers.
Old 01-09-11, 11:52 PM
diulei
Driver School Candidate

Just an update on my hitch - I'm not much of a get-under-the-car type of guy so it took me about 90 mins. No air tools, just some sockets, wrenches, and a pry bar. For the heat shield trimming, since I didn't have any tin snips handy my friend used a small dremel for me. Having a friend also helped moving the hitch into place.

Also a side note: Ordered from RockAuto.com, no tax to CA and it arrived in about 36 hours from the time I ordered with the cheapest shipping option. I do recommend them (not affiliated in any way... I swear).
Old 01-10-11, 06:58 AM
lancematic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diulei
Also a side note: Ordered from RockAuto.com, no tax to CA and it arrived in about 36 hours from the time I ordered with the cheapest shipping option. I do recommend them (not affiliated in any way... I swear).

RockAuto is A+, good to hear you got it installed.
Old 01-14-11, 01:44 PM
olsen_karl
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I got my Curt hitch from etrailer. Easy installation in the garage; no jacking up of the car needed. You do need to lower both mufflers off the exhaust hangers (rubber hangers), which took a little persuasion with a pry bar.

I use the hitch with a Thule T2 bike rack (2" receiver), on a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter. It sticks out fairly far from the bumper, but no problems after ~10 months of intermittent usage. The rack does scrape on driveway entrances. If I had a 1 1/4" version (no adapter extension), I don't think it would scrape the ground.
Old 01-19-11, 10:01 AM
diulei
Driver School Candidate

I took a quick glance at my hitch this morning and notice there was a bit of surface rust forming already (in the part that looks like a "webbing")... has anyone else noticed this? I guess I anticipated it eventually but not in the 1.5 weeks since I've had it installed so I'm slightly annoyed. Do you guys use any spray or special maintenance to try to keep the rust to a minimum?
Old 01-24-11, 02:51 PM
olsen_karl
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by diulei
I took a quick glance at my hitch this morning and notice there was a bit of surface rust forming already (in the part that looks like a "webbing")... has anyone else noticed this? I guess I anticipated it eventually but not in the 1.5 weeks since I've had it installed so I'm slightly annoyed. Do you guys use any spray or special maintenance to try to keep the rust to a minimum?
I have rust in the same spot. I'll touch it up next summer with some POR-15 and spray-can a topcoat over that.

Incidentally, with 2 mountain bikes on the hitch-mount bike rack, my highway MPG drops off considerably when going 75+ mph. I have an IS 250 AWD, so YMMV -- maybe an IS 350 has enough torque to not suffer as much of a MPG hit.
Old 10-24-11, 01:42 PM
usna2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pictures of my 2008 IS250 AWD. I installed the hitch to use with a bike rack. The process was fairly easy, but its requires 2 people. I tried it by my self and I was using chains and stuff to hold the other end up. One of the shop guys helped me out by holding it in place and from there it was only minutes before I was done. Here is the link to flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/4878977...n/photostream/

Last edited by usna2011; 10-24-11 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 04:21 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't the trailer height be a lot lower because of how low the hitch is? If you use a higher ball it would probably put more weight on the back than before which is definitely not good for the car... However to each his own!! This is why I kept my Tahoe though!
Old 10-24-11, 05:25 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm interesting to see some people are using their IS for towing. I personally would avoid it, too much stress on the transmission/drivetrain IMO.
Old 11-07-11, 03:45 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SEARCH ftw lol
Old 08-01-12, 08:18 AM
gilwood
Driver School Candidate

I'm considering buying the trailer hitch to tow a u-hual trailer cross country. Anyone see any problems with this?
Old 08-01-12, 09:24 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by gilwood
I'm considering buying the trailer hitch to tow a u-hual trailer cross country. Anyone see any problems with this?

Depends on the size of the trailer. Some uhauls will not allow you to rent a trailer without them calculating it on their system.

I doubt they will allow you to rent an enclosed trailer maybe and open bed. I would ask before buying anything.
Old 08-01-12, 11:28 AM
gilwood
Driver School Candidate

Very true. I checked the u-haul website and the requirements are:

Must have 1-7/8" or, 2" hitch ball (2,000 lbs. minimum)
Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
Must have external mirrors on both sides
The allowed cargo in this trailer will be calculated based on the curb weight of your vehicle and the lowest rated component of your hitch system.

Seems from the other posts that the Curt hitch tongue weight is 200lbs and the towing capacity is 2,000 lbs.

Last edited by gilwood; 08-01-12 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-01-12, 05:36 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by gilwood
Very true. I checked the u-haul website and the requirements are:

Must have 1-7/8" or, 2" hitch ball (2,000 lbs. minimum)
Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
Must have external mirrors on both sides
The allowed cargo in this trailer will be calculated based on the curb weight of your vehicle and the lowest rated component of your hitch system.

Seems from the other posts that the Curt hitch tongue weight is 200lbs and the towing capacity is 2,000 lbs.

You need this link

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/RatesTrailers.aspx

Looks like they will allow you a 5x10 enclosed, if they ask what are you towing tell them something very light. They are strict!

Quick Reply: New Curt Trailer Hitch Installed on IS350