IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Valet parking curb rash-ed my rim!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-09, 02:48 AM
yOyOYoo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valet parking curb rash-ed my rim!

I am ticked off. I spent half the morning detailing, washing and waxing my car, cleaning my rims, and tires too.

I had dinner at some korean bbq restaurant in Los Angeles. Parking is by valet only, and I noticed the valet drivers speeding away with people's cars and now I just realized that my rear tire has a pretty big whitish colored scuff mark with corresponding 3" curb rash on the edge of the rim.

Granted the rim is stock, but my car is only ~2 months old, and I've always babied it and am very careful to avoid hitting sidewalks. This curb rash is on the driver side rear tire/rim. I NEVER park on a sidewalk next to the driver's side. This clearly happened tonight and I only drove my car from home to restaurant today. I inspected all wheels today as I was cleaning them and they were perfect.

I am pretty sure that there is absolutely nothing I can do at this point. I doubt calling the restaurant will solve anything. I am not korean and do not speak the language. Plus it really is my word against theirs. I am just frustrated. Anyone know of a place in Southern California that can attempt to fix this? Can this be fixed??

btw here's a pic of the black beauty:

Last edited by yOyOYoo; 08-30-09 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-30-09, 02:50 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, same situation here too. I had the valet park my car as well since it was the only option, went to Gaam in koreantown and the ******* hit a speed bump so hard I heard my wheel hit the fender.

You can definitely get curb rash fixed. Check in the socal section there's a lot of people recommending shops. The one that comes to mind is TWS in Walnut ( The Wheel Supply)
Old 08-30-09, 02:53 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just hate valet parking, never go to a place that it's required, good luck in getting that rash taken care of !
Old 08-30-09, 02:58 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
I am ticked off. I spent half the morning detailing, washing and waxing my car, cleaning my rims, and tires too.

I had dinner at some korean bbq restaurant in Los Angeles. Parking is by valet only, and I noticed the valet drivers speeding away with people's cars and now I just realized that my rear tire has a pretty big whitish colored scuff mark with corresponding 3" curb rash on the edge of the rim.

Granted the rim is stock, but my car is only ~2 months old, and I've always babied it and am very careful to avoid hitting sidewalks. This curb rash is on the driver side rear tire/rim. I NEVER park on a sidewalk next to the driver's side. This clearly happened tonight and I only drove my car from home to restaurant today. I inspected all wheels today as I was cleaning them and they were perfect.

I am pretty sure that there is absolutely nothing I can do at this point. I doubt calling the restaurant will solve anything. I am not korean and do not speak the language. Plus it really is my word against theirs. I am just frustrated. Anyone know of a place in Southern California that can attempt to fix this? Can this be fixed??
oddly enough, earlier this evening several other socal CL members and i were dining at a (you guessed it!) a korean bbq restaurant in los angeles and only has valet parking, but i digress...

if it's small and relatively unnoticeable, just live with it. however, anything larger, and i believe any reputable rim shop should be able to repair the curb rash.

btw, what kind of rims are we talking about, oem 17's/18's or aftermarket?
Old 08-30-09, 03:06 AM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was a valet at a point but never damaged a car in the year i did it..best bet since u already drive a lexx is hit em' up wit a 10$/20$ bill n say take care of it, or if u see a parkin spot u like u'll get it..now wen i go out my car is right in front of me so i can see them drive it haha.
Old 08-30-09, 03:06 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol...another victim here...never ever go to LA's Dolce restaurant's valet parking...
Old 08-30-09, 03:18 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fixing curb rash for the stock rims is pretty easy - depending on the damage, they might even be able to keep the tire on the wheel. Should cost $50-$75 or so.
Old 08-30-09, 06:25 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Damn that's horrible. I've only valeted my car once and I was paranoid as hell. I always find something to complain about when I let somebody else drive my car lol.
Old 08-30-09, 09:25 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Damn bro that sucks!
Old 08-30-09, 09:53 AM
yOyOYoo
Rookie

It's the OEM 17" wheel. The rash is just on the outer edge, thankfully not in the center. I'm pissed because I JUST washed my car/wheels and because I had to pay some jerkoff to valet my car. I'd be okay with it, if I damaged the car myself.

Other than this curb rash, the car is pristine.

btw restaurant is Road to Seoul located in korea town, Los Angeles. Food is not bad...valet parking is horrible.
Old 08-30-09, 10:05 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about the curb rash, but curb rashes are bound to happen if your car is a daily driver. I try to avoid valet parking as much as possible, but at times, its impossible. Like the others have said, fixing a curb rash on the OEM rims are not has hard or expensive as having to do it for aftermarket ones. I guess we can say you are never going to valet your car there again. Good luck.
Old 08-30-09, 10:32 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

just say no.
Old 08-30-09, 10:49 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I despise valet parking. Went to this chain (Roy's, it's pretty decent I highly suggest it, chocolate souffle is very very good) where they only valet.

This 20 year old kid gets in my car and just mashes the accelerator as he drives away and then slams on the brakes 2 seconds later when he realizes he's going too fast (seriously the stop sign is like 20 feet away!)

I mean thankfully he didn't do any physical damage to the car like you said, but I don't appreciate how they are so rash with their driving.

Even when he's picking up my car (after we're done eating), they will come in and tend to be VERY aggressive with their turning as they try to get the car as close as possible to the curb. It's like **** dude, you're not michael schumacher here, take it easy.

The valet is not complimentary, it costs $6.

I give him a $20 and he asks "how much do you want back?"

Maybe I'm the minority here, but I think it's a little bit tacky to ask the question like that (thereby expecting that I pay more than $6 as a tip).

I expect him to be sincere and give me $14 back without question, and THEN I will consider his attitude, etc. and give him an additional tip based on that.

I try not to be a cheapskate plus I hate looking bad around other people and I don't want him to think "Oh I remember this guy he's the guy who doesn't tip I just might key his car" the next time I come so I just gave him $10 total which hopefully is enough.

The problem with valet parking is the kids who tend to be valets are just that - kids. Late teenagers I think (is it 18+?) or early 20s people (still kids in my opinion).
Old 08-30-09, 11:29 AM
intekmdma
Driver

Wow sounds bummer, i cannot let strangers drive my car, hope you get that fixed
Old 08-30-09, 11:45 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Well I guess it's time to get some new rims.

Quick Reply: Valet parking curb rash-ed my rim!