IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250/ES350 acceleration problems??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 01:31 AM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by initial g
couldn't believe the story. Had to re-read it a couple times. Such a sad story. Makes me second guess my idea of getting some all-eather floor mats now.

May the passengers who lost their lives rest in peace.

did u watch the video its not the floor mats that did this is the computer...
Old 06-24-10, 09:29 PM
gracereger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 ES 350 Acceleration problem

I too just had an accident yesterday. While pulling into my driveway with my foot on the brake, my Lexus suddenly accelerated and crashed into my garage door. The impact was great enough to deploy the airbags and seriously damaged the front bumper, headlight, and hood.

This is the first accident I've ever had in 46 years of driving. There were no rubber mats in the car either. When I called to report this to Lexus they said they had never heard of this problem with a Lexus. After reading the other postings, it's obvious I am not the only person this has happened to.
Old 06-24-10, 09:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Your foot was on the brake at driveway speed and the car accelerated? Sorry, you'd need a complete brake failure for this to happen. How about you mistook the accelerator for the brake and drove through your garage? Sounds a lot more likely, and I can even vouch for this. Ever since I was diagnosed with cervical stenosis, I've had to be extra cognizant of which pedal I'm on because my feet don't quite work the way they used to. If you've been driving 46 years, you're not too far from my age too.

Sorry, but it wasn't the car.
Old 06-25-10, 01:14 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i smell
Old 06-25-10, 06:06 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry but these issues happen to every brand made. Also if you had the floor mat recall done, they reprogrammed the ECU to go into a fail-safe mode and shut the engine down if the brake and excel are pressed simultaneously. I'm sure every new Toyota car will be programmed this way. Just about every occurrence (Other then the vehicles that the pedal itself actually stuck, these vehicles had them replaced) when investigated has shown driver error or floor mats. If you're not going to buy a vehicle because of this, there will not be ANY brand to choose from. They ALL have had this issue. You will see that Toyota has taken the steps to prove what actually caused the problem. Don't take this the wrong way, yes there were pedals that did actually get stuck, but that has been resolved. If anyone has this problem now it will be BIG news. Look at the latest Prius occurrences and how the truth comes out. What is a REAL issue is carbon build-up!

Koz
Old 06-25-10, 06:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup... that's why the stats on these "acceleration" complaints skew so unusually to the elderly... they're hitting the wrong pedal without realizing it.

If it was an electronics problem it wouldn't be disproportionately showing up in older drivers.

And the brakes are a LOT stronger than the gas... it simply wouldn't be possible for the car to accelerate uncontrolably if you were in your driveway with your foot on the brake.

Hell, if you hold the brake all the way down doing 80 the car will still stop even with the gas pedal floored too...let alone sitting in your driveway.
Old 06-25-10, 09:04 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by gracereger
I too just had an accident yesterday. While pulling into my driveway with my foot on the brake, my Lexus suddenly accelerated and crashed into my garage door. The impact was great enough to deploy the airbags and seriously damaged the front bumper, headlight, and hood.

This is the first accident I've ever had in 46 years of driving. There were no rubber mats in the car either. When I called to report this to Lexus they said they had never heard of this problem with a Lexus. After reading the other postings, it's obvious I am not the only person this has happened to.
So you've just signed up with CL just to tell this story?
Old 06-25-10, 09:06 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gracereger

If you've been driving for 46 years the more obvious explanation is driver error. I've never seen any credible evidence of this occuring on a Lexus other than mats which are also a user error.
Old 06-25-10, 10:34 AM
eyeamkeek
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys have good points of driver error, but what about the story of rhonda saying her cruise control going on? do floormats cause that? i doubt all of these problems are due to driver error.
Old 06-25-10, 10:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Who is Rhonda, and where is a link to the story?
Old 06-25-10, 01:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This country is full of opportunists who don't want to take responsibility for their accidents. I don't believe for a second that the cruise control came on by itself.
Old 06-25-10, 01:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many dents in the garage door now, must be due for replacement.

Let's see some pics of this spectacular accident please.
Old 06-25-10, 01:53 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Yeah. No picture or it didn't happen.
Old 06-25-10, 02:48 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

This is old news....I am at a Toyota dealership, and we have been dealing with this "unintended acceleration" since late January...We have performed the recall on thousands of vehicles (about 50-100 per day), and we have yet to find a car that actually has a problem...people have come in claiming this and claiming that, but when we check the car out, there are no problems...
Old 06-25-10, 04:54 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh.. Not so many people read usenet anymore, but in the Lexus usenet group , there's some douschewillow that posts every negative article he can find about Toyota/Lexus, just to get in and troll and try to get reactions; this might be the same guy looking to appeal to a bigger audience....I picture a guy in a Ford Taurus with Lexus envy.

(BTW I will gladly admit I'm wrong if I see a dented garage pic with an ES next to it).

Picking my IS 250 up monday morning and greatly looking forward to it.

Last edited by MBTC; 06-25-10 at 05:10 PM.