IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

wtf rearview mirror FELL OFF

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 07:11 PM
hmsis250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't slide back on? I'd bring it back under warranty! It's kind of funny!
Old 09-01-09, 07:32 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok for the record, i couldn't just attach it back on cause the metal piece somehow got chipped on the right side. i really don't understand it either. i tried, but it kept falling off.
took it in, and they said they gotta backorder the whole mirror assembly, but the "temporarily reattached" the mirror. it seems to be fine. i tried wiggling it, and it never budged, so when they call and say the mirror is in, i'll tell them it's ok unless 1)it's free, and/or 2) it falls off again. didn't pay anything btw... not yet at least.

and i know i use the mirror, but i never realized how much i used it till i took it off. i kept looking at the sky while driving to the dealer... lol

oh and i realized i actually check the mirror a lot to see if anyone's tailing me. i get kinda paranoid about it.
Old 09-01-09, 09:16 PM
ltran
Rookie

i've been thinking about that lately. i was going to hang an evil eye (any brown people out there?) LOL; this one guy told me "it's too heavy, your mirror will fall off, put a cross instead" i was like..ugh..

i wouldn't even know what to think if i broke my mirror over that.
Old 09-02-09, 12:26 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

aww damn.
i hear rattling noises in my car while i drive over bumps. but it rarely happens.
i hope mine dont fall off.
Old 09-02-09, 01:48 AM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

lol i don't think it's happened to anyone else so don't worry. i've never had the rattle though. servco was pretty nice about it. i called in the morning and they gave me an appointment right away. i don't wanna jinx anything either, but the "temporarily reattached" mirror still seems to be stuck on fine. i don't know what they did though.
Old 09-02-09, 12:05 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

lol i'm sorry that looks pretty funny to me...but i hope ur warranty is good! :P
Old 09-02-09, 07:50 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Mine fell off recently too - but I had the windshield replaced from Safelite. I took it back to them and they put it back on. They had to check and fix the wind noises I was complaining about from my windshield too
Old 09-02-09, 08:53 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

wow... was replacing the whole windshield necessary or was it cause you had a crack?
anyway, they called me up just to check to see how the mirror was holding up. it's on pretty tight. no movement at all, but they said the new one will come in a week or so, and it's covered under warranty, so it's all good.
Old 09-05-09, 03:47 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSE20MT
wow... was replacing the whole windshield necessary or was it cause you had a crack?
Sorry, I should have posted more clearly. I had a crack in my windshield first.. took it in to safelite to have it replaced and then after the replacement my rearview mirror fell off so I had them put it back on
Old 09-05-09, 05:14 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Hopefully you're still under warranty. Do you think they'll cover this under the TSIB??
Old 09-05-09, 06:40 PM
tnogi
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh my... thats the same problem im having with mine...

toHn
Old 07-03-12, 06:54 AM
TheDrake
Driver School Candidate

The glue failed on my rearview mirror on my LS 460. After trying to fix it myself about 4 times in two weeks using kits bought at an autoparts store during a heatwave in Atlanta, I called a local Safelite shop. When I told the guy that I'd tried it myself with kits from the auto parts store, he shook his head and laughed. He had my mirror glued and reattached in about 15 mins. Best of all..............FREE OF CHARGE. I am not a previous customer of theirs and they never took any personal information from me. I didn't ask any questions. Just said "thank you" and went on my way.
Old 07-03-12, 07:05 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
Another reason I bought the extended warranty.
The extended warranty is not all its cracked up to be, as in, it does not cover everything the original 4y/50k miles warranty does. In fact, even the 4y/50k miles warranty has items that are only covered for the first year/20k miles period.

Buyer beware.
Old 07-03-12, 08:13 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSE20MT
oh and i realized i actually check the mirror a lot to see if anyone's tailing me. i get kinda paranoid about it.
I do too!!! I don't get it either. Like why? Not like I'm a secret agent or something.

I would like to think they would give you it free and if anything charge labor. Did you have the "old style" where it needed to be replaced because it shook when the sunroof was open? If so, it is TSIB something or the other and can be replaced if still under warranty.
Old 07-03-12, 08:15 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
I do too!!! I don't get it either. Like why? Not like I'm a secret agent or something.

I would like to think they would give you it free and if anything charge labor. Did you have the "old style" where it needed to be replaced because it shook when the sunroof was open? If so, it is TSIB something or the other and can be replaced if still under warranty.
PS I laughed SO hard when I read the title. God knows I'm going to get in my car right now and this is going to happen.

Quick Reply: wtf rearview mirror FELL OFF