Print Wikipost

DIY: Windshield Molding/Trim Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 05:16 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrby
Called up Lexus for a laugh because I was curious what they would tell me. Got quoted $517 parts and labor. Their breakdown didn't even add up. They told me $297parts and $150 for an hour labor. Even with tax I would still only be at $476. I didn't hassle them about what the other $41 was for since they weren't gonna do it.

Got my kit from Amazon for $145, L/R side and 10 clips. Item's came all with Lexus part numbers. The hardest part as other's said was cleaning all the old brittle broken pieces from the track first. The passenger side molding came out in 1 piece but the driver side broke a few times while pulling it off. All the old clips came out with just needle nose pliers and the new ones went in just as easy.

I have more of a gap on the driver side then the passenger side near the hood but as far as I can tell without trying to remove it and reinsert it the clips are in right at the bottom.

So glad I saved myself $372!

After installing clips then molding on both sides, experienced something similar to what Durby had experienced. Appears to have slight more of a gap on the passenger side then the driver side, where the base of molding meets the base of windshield cowl. The base of molding has two tabs and what appears to be a L shaped lock of sorts. Inserting the two tabs into the existing holes in windshield cowl isn't an issue. It's determining how the "L" lock inserts into the windshield cowl. I was able to lock this securely into place on left / driver side (part 75552-53020 ) however, didn't seen to lock correctly into place on passenger side (part 75551-53020) after pressing molding onto the five clips (part 75545-53011). Perhaps the location where the "L" shaped tab connects io existing cowl is worn on the passenger side. Does it matter where you begin to install the moulding, beginning at the top, bottom or installing the base of molding first into the existing cowl, and then begin from bottom or top?? Would anyone have video tutorial or photo showing how to correctly secure the "L" shaped tab?

Old 08-07-20, 04:46 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Nothing unusual with the gap issue. I had a gap on one side, much like yours. I ended up screwing the non exposed surface down to minimize the gap. Quite tricky on where to screw it down.
Old 08-07-20, 06:36 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

mandyfig, thank you for the follow up. To confirm, did you screw the base to the existing windshield cowl for additional support or to resolve the gap issue?
Old 08-08-20, 01:50 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by ELexis
mandyfig, thank you for the follow up. To confirm, did you screw the base to the existing windshield cowl for additional support or to resolve the gap issue?
I actually screwed it on to the body so it stays down. I will take a picture and post.
Old 12-23-20, 01:58 PM
Storino
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for posting this information - most helpful. It is thanks to you that I learned about the need for these clips. Just wanted to mention that as of Dec-2020 MyLPlace Lexus Online parts was charging $5.91 for what seems to be per clip?!!? (at least nowhere do they indicate "set of five"). If correct, this would translate to a ridiculous cost of $59.10 for 10 pieces of plastic! I found what seems to be equivalent replacement clips through www.clipsandfasteners.com, where they are presently charging $10.91 for a set of 5 clips (Product Code: A21505). Just search for 'Lexus Windshield Moulding Clip 75545-53011' (replaces part number 75545-53010 as indicated on Lexus site). I hope this helps someone. These people are an excellent source for Toyota and Honda fasteners. I have used them once in the past with excellent results. Fasteners that Lexus sells for over $5 each, I was able to get a package that averaged $1.05 each (got 15 for the cost of 3) - same quality or better. Worth investigating and being familiar with the products they carry!

Last edited by Storino; 12-23-20 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-14-22, 11:33 AM
Shadowfire
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my WIndshield replaced they suggested that I buy new molding and so they didn't reinstall the old moldings but of course all the other things clips and whatnot were new, I bought the molding from Lexus 200CAD and then had the place that installed the windshield install the molding they had issues with it not staying in and said that I could come back the next day and they would use glue, the next day I noticed that the top parts on both sides were sticking out so I put them back in they stayed when driving to work they were out again, so just to check I installed the original molding back in and they have stayed in without any issues, I think that because of this new molding being installed on cooler days that it won't shape correctly so I am going to wait until it heats upo in the summer and try to reinstall the molding I also hope that it gets rid of that always present passenger side wind sound while driving with my windows closed.

it is strange how in the car that sounds travel.
for instance, I was driving and could hear this kind of squeaking noise and I could nt track it it seemed to be coming from the centre dash it was driving me a little nuts until one day I was sort of just accepting that noise and I grabbed my water bottle out of the console and the sound stopped so I tested it and discovered that this whole time it was actually my water bottle making that noise hehe
I mentioned the water bottle and noise traveling because that windsould may not be coming from where I think it is coming from but I cannot be sure.
Old 05-16-22, 08:21 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadowfire
I had my WIndshield replaced they suggested that I buy new molding and so they didn't reinstall the old moldings but of course all the other things clips and whatnot were new, I bought the molding from Lexus 200CAD and then had the place that installed the windshield install the molding they had issues with it not staying in and said that I could come back the next day and they would use glue, the next day I noticed that the top parts on both sides were sticking out so I put them back in they stayed when driving to work they were out again, so just to check I installed the original molding back in and they have stayed in without any issues, I think that because of this new molding being installed on cooler days that it won't shape correctly so I am going to wait until it heats upo in the summer and try to reinstall the molding I also hope that it gets rid of that always present passenger side wind sound while driving with my windows closed.

it is strange how in the car that sounds travel.
for instance, I was driving and could hear this kind of squeaking noise and I could nt track it it seemed to be coming from the centre dash it was driving me a little nuts until one day I was sort of just accepting that noise and I grabbed my water bottle out of the console and the sound stopped so I tested it and discovered that this whole time it was actually my water bottle making that noise hehe
I mentioned the water bottle and noise traveling because that windsould may not be coming from where I think it is coming from but I cannot be sure.
Did you purchase a new set of clips as well? You're supposed to replace both since the clips are just cheap plastic that are more single use than anything.

I find it odd they didn't replace them for you. I've had my windshield replaced twice over the last 7 years, and both times they replaced the clips and molding (diff installers).
Old 05-17-22, 12:38 AM
Shadowfire
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes all new clips as well
Old 05-19-22, 04:37 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

There was a post back in 2019 about leaving the moulding off or gluing it on. This is where Shadows comment comes into play. The trim does in fact keep the window in place. On hot days they can and do move. Just put yours fingers on the glass while driving.

Perhaps you can park It in the sun, turn the heat to high then place your whole forearm on the window to apply solid pressure for 5 plus minutes and then install the trim?

I recall a car leaking in a heavy rain after having no trim and only the butyl holding the glass in. It turns out the owner plugged the body vents and when the doors were slammed it made so much pressure it created a vent hole in the poorly installed window. It was summer and the butyl moved easily. It was a comedy of errors all in all.