IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 in Winter?? I just moved to Chicago from AZ! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 01:01 PM
wadesi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By winter tires do you all mean studded tires or studless?
Old 09-09-09, 01:24 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Studless will be fine.
Old 09-09-09, 06:54 PM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

do you think just the rears would be fine for winter driving or do you feel all 4 corners are necessary?
Old 09-09-09, 07:08 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

All four definitely! You will not be able to turn with summers in the front. Talk about massive understeer.
Old 09-09-09, 07:19 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People make such a bigger deal out of this then is needed. Old school muscle cars drove around on horrible tire technology for years.

All you need is a decent set of A/S tires (winter tires are NOT necessary) Plus winter tires means you have to give up your purdy 19's or 20's for half the year. That to me is not acceptable. I'm not in this to enjoy my car for 1/2 the year. And in all reality, throughout the entire winter season, how many days are the roads COVERED in snow? 4-5 days maybe, tops? Well, here in NJ/NY its like that at least.

Here in NJ/NY, the roads are clear just about the second the snow stops... leaving black pavement to drive on. For those days that the road crew cannot keep up with the snow (because its still falling at that moment) - you probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place!

If its a must and you MUST be on the roads, good A/S tires will be JUST FINE! NO NEED for full on snow tires. - Are they better? Sure! Do they prevent you from driving your hot 19's or 20's year round? Yup. And thats pants if you ask me.

I keep my 19's on year round and drive Toyo Proxes 4 a/s tires year round (Great A/S Tires ) and have NO issues. My wifes IS has Bridgestone Re960 A/S tires and honestly road grip is just perfect in the snow/sludge.

Caution: Just go slow. Put it in snow mode. And be careful/take it easy. Do that and you'll be fine with A/S tires.

Not sure what its like up in MN or Toranto or anything like that but here in NJ, really, the roads are only COVERED in snow perhaps 3-4 DAYS out of the year. The rest, its all black pavement. Hardly worth the trade up of putting on ugly 17's or 18's w/ snow tires and not enjoying your car to the full year round. BOOO on only enjoying your car 1/2 the year. Thats pants right there!

Be carefull, take it easy and drive a/s tires and you'll be fine.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 09-09-09 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 07:51 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll regret it if you go A/S and not dedicated snow in the Chicago area. Winters are too erratic in these parts. I bought some 18 inch rims from Tirerack to go with my Dunlop Winter Sports and there's no doubt they "saved" me on several occasions... In fact, my RWD 350 on Dunlops is almost as predictable in crappy weather as my Audi A4 Quattro with Pirelli A/S was.
Old 09-09-09, 07:53 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
People make such a bigger deal out of this then is needed. Old school muscle cars drove around on horrible tire technology for years.

All you need is a decent set of A/S tires (winter tires are NOT necessary) Plus winter tires means you have to give up your purdy 19's or 20's for half the year. That to me is not acceptable. I'm not in this to enjoy my car for 1/2 the year. And in all reality, throughout the entire winter season, how many days are the roads COVERED in snow? 4-5 days maybe, tops? Well, here in NJ/NY its like that at least.

Here in NJ/NY, the roads are clear just about the second the snow stops... leaving black pavement to drive on. For those days that the road crew cannot keep up with the snow (because its still falling at that moment) - you probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place!

If its a must and you MUST be on the roads, good A/S tires will be JUST FINE! NO NEED for full on snow tires. - Are they better? Sure! Do they prevent you from driving your hot 19's or 20's year round? Yup. And thats pants if you ask me.

I keep my 19's on year round and drive Toyo Proxes 4 a/s tires year round (Great A/S Tires ) and have NO issues. My wifes IS has Bridgestone Re960 A/S tires and honestly road grip is just perfect in the snow/sludge.

Caution: Just go slow. Put it in snow mode. And be careful/take it easy. Do that and you'll be fine with A/S tires.

Not sure what its like up in MN or Toranto or anything like that but here in NJ, really, the roads are only COVERED in snow perhaps 3-4 DAYS out of the year. The rest, its all black pavement. Hardly worth the trade up of putting on ugly 17's or 18's w/ snow tires and not enjoying your car to the full year round. BOOO on only enjoying your car 1/2 the year. Thats pants right there!

Be carefull, take it easy and drive a/s tires and you'll be fine.
The Volk wheel finish is very delicate. Mine have already gotten damaged from certain soap. Yes, soap. Imagine salt.

Similar to NJ, Chicago gets sporadic amounts of during the winter. However, when it snows, it SNOWS. We had a really bad one last year and I would not have survived on just all-seasons. It snowed several times last year during rush hour. This did not allow the snow trucks to plow the roads and it was a mess.

All-seasons give you okay performance in the summer and okay performance in the winter. I like to have maximum traction for the seasons. Yes, my stock 18s look crappy, but my car will be covered in salt most of the time, so its cool.
Old 09-09-09, 08:25 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VikH
The Volk wheel finish is very delicate. Mine have already gotten damaged from certain soap. Yes, soap. Imagine salt.

Similar to NJ, Chicago gets sporadic amounts of during the winter. However, when it snows, it SNOWS. We had a really bad one last year and I would not have survived on just all-seasons. It snowed several times last year during rush hour. This did not allow the snow trucks to plow the roads and it was a mess.

All-seasons give you okay performance in the summer and okay performance in the winter. I like to have maximum traction for the seasons. Yes, my stock 18s look crappy, but my car will be covered in salt most of the time, so its cool.
I hear ya, I hear ya. I sold my stockers so all I gots is 19's, and honstly I'm completely happy with this and my A/S tires.

That, and I'm one of those compulsive car detailers/washers so my car looks sparkling while all others are covered in salt. Makes ya stand out all the more so.

EDIT: Chrome lips FTW! - Polished aluminum (I own Volk SF-Winnings) is a beich to keep perfect. Thats why I'm getting 360 Forged wheels with chrome lips...
Old 09-09-09, 08:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jns350
There you are Vik... the Chicago guys on CL are the hardcore bunch...Didn't Mike drive his 350 all year around too?!?!?! But I think Vik and Mike used a spare winter tire/wheel combo for back up Am I right??
Yea I actually went my first winter on the OEM summer tires and only had trouble with my dam driveway. I think I had put ~ 20k miles on my car in the winter

2nd winter I got the LM25 Blizzak and they did a good job. A local that moved to CA sold me his set so I had to try them. They are now with another member

I see IS350's all over the place But I am on the road a lot I guess so maybe that is why I see them. Passed 2 on my way from the office today and got the from both drivers when they saw my car

Welcome back home
Old 09-09-09, 09:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

All season tires are a compromise that aren't actually good at anything.

I know I bought a sports car to actually get some performance out it...that means performance summer tires anytime the weather permits, and dedicated winter tires when the weather requires (which fortuately is about never here, but wouldn't be in Chicago).

In NJ or non-upstate NY I'd probably just keep the summer tires and not drive it the few days a year there's real snow on the road, rather than drive all year on crappy compromise tires.

If your tires/car are just for show then sure, throw whatever on there, and if you're in a barely-ever snow area A/S will get ya by. Anyplace that you'll have to ever drive in REAL snow though I'll take the snow tires thanks.
Old 09-10-09, 02:11 PM
eternal07
Pole Position

last winter, my LS430 with summer perf tires were ok....not great but not that bad. Snow came unexpected so I had no choice but to drive with it.
It did snow a lot and some roads were froze but the car had good traction system and I never got stuck. of course my tires were slipping but it was ok.

I'm thinking about just getting all season tires this winter...I have summer perf tires now.
Old 09-12-09, 10:11 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
A local that moved to CA sold me his set so I had to try them. They are now with another member
I'm that local..

Definitely get a separate set of winter tires and rims. Your rims will thank you and the tires will definitely work much better than the best set of all seasons money can buy. Tire rack is a great choice for a rim and tire combo that is already balanced and shipped to you door in a day from south bend.

Definitely do NOT try summer tires on an IS350 in snow.... I made that mistake once by taking the winter tires off too early in april, and trying to get to work when it was snowing. a mile from my house I almost killed myself sliding into oncoming traffic with NO TRACTION. Luckily oncoming traffic was crawling and was able to stop. I more or less had to reverse home because I wasn't getting any traction..... get snow tires.

Thank goodness I don't deal with that crap anymore... I love the weather out here....
Old 09-30-09, 03:27 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

damn you and your perfect weather! I dont plan on moving out of illinois for a few more years but this year I plan on buying a set of snow tires. Last winter I went thru winter with a set of all seasons but they were already on its second winter. I will never do that again in a RWD car. I mean I literally got stuck in my subdivision and my parents had to come scoop me in my dads 08 malibu. Which by the way has big bouncy old man tires and handled the snow beautifully. I even had to cancel some appts because I had no confidence in the car and plus I was being a cheapskate. One more winter with my car and shes getting turned back in.
Old 09-30-09, 05:01 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

im gonna live dangerously this winter and drive around on summer tires
Old 10-13-09, 06:27 PM
TEN TIL 4
Rookie

Hey whats up Chicago Crew! Haven't been around in a while and wanted to check in about snow tire sizes.

Last winter I had a winter car, but I recently had to sell it so I will be buying snow tires for my stock 18" wheels. Since my summer tires are staggered, do I have to get a winter tire staggered setup as well or can I get away with one size all around on my stock 18's? What snow tire sizes is everyone running?

Quick Reply: IS350 in Winter?? I just moved to Chicago from AZ! HELP