IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why is it so hard to find ML?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 08:58 AM
Dymelos
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISmikeIS
I've had two IS's in the last 3 years, my IS250 was not equipped with ML. My 350 today is, and the first time I turned on my music I noticed a SIGNIFICANT difference between the 2.

Get what YOU want.
I completely agree. I went from an 07 x package IS250 without ml to an 06 IS350 with ml and I can tell a huge difference. I would definietely agree its one of the best from the dealer systems you can get, I actually prefer it to the Bose in Nissan/Infiniti systems. Vocals are much clearer to me, (mainly listen to alternative/rock), if you are an audio fan get it. If not, the plain stock system is good as well, my wife seems happy with hers in her IS250. I hear the difference on a constant basis because we have both cars. I will always look for a ml system from here on out on my future Lexus purchases.
Old 09-10-09, 10:04 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I would personally save the dough and buy a nice aftermarket headunit/multimedia center and system for the same money. The Mark Levinson audio isn't that good of an improvement over the standard one. I'd even go as far as saying that the standard audio system in my mother's Altima has much deeper bass and crisper sound.
it would cost more to build an aftermarket sound system to replicate the aural quality and the functionality of the mark levinson system on the 2is than to just get the ML system in the first place.

also, the ML system in the 2is is neatly integrated, and in the case where it's matched w/ the oem nav system it's quite the multimedia center.

the ML system isn't designed for window-rattling bass, though many members have retrofitted aftermarket amps and subs in addition to the ML system for that purpose. however - and i believe several other posts in this thread can confirm this, it's designed to provide a higher level of aural fidelity than the oem audio system in the 2is.

again, to the untrained ear, the difference between the two systems in the 2is is undistinguishable. comparing it to an altima's sound system... well, it's an altima.
Old 09-10-09, 12:05 PM
wadesi
Driver School Candidate

My 350 doesn't have ML and my buddies does. I cannot tell the difference between the and I have been called an "audiophile". I'm very happy with my stock IS sound system. I would definetly listen to both with the type of music you listen too and then make the decision as to whether or not it's worth the wait and $$.

As a poster said above they are clearing out the '09s and making room for the '10s. The money you should be able to save by grabbing a '09 should be a bigger deal than getting ML. If you really need an upgrade than spend $1000-$1500 on a aftermarket system that will blow the ML system out of the water.
Old 09-10-09, 12:41 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wadesi
My 350 doesn't have ML and my buddies does. I cannot tell the difference between the and I have been called an "audiophile". I'm very happy with my stock IS sound system. I would definetly listen to both with the type of music you listen too and then make the decision as to whether or not it's worth the wait and $$.

As a poster said above they are clearing out the '09s and making room for the '10s. The money you should be able to save by grabbing a '09 should be a bigger deal than getting ML. If you really need an upgrade than spend $1000-$1500 on a aftermarket system that will blow the ML system out of the water.
i'd like to know how you're going to build a spec-for-spec aftermarket car audio system that'll "blow the ML system out of the water" using $1000-$1500.

since we're on that discussion, let's give it a try.

here's a list of the speakers that will need replacement:
- one center channel speaker
- 2x three-way components in the front doors
- 2x two-way components in the rear doors
- 2x midrange in the rear deck
- 1x subwoofer

to power all those speakers, you'll need at least TWO amplifiers, a six-channel and a monoblock.

you'll also need a new DVD deck. and if you want the same DVD video playback capabilities as the ML + nav system, then factor in the cost of an A/V unit w/ LCD screen and integrated nav.

you'll also need a sound processor to reproduce 5.1 channel surround sound.

there's probably a whole bunch of details that i've missed, but i'm sure if you go to http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com you can check out the details for the 2is ML system.

so unless you plan to use some swap-meet quality, 2nd-tier parts and some DIY labor, i honestly believe you wouldn't be able to do it for even $2k...
Old 09-10-09, 12:53 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by projectdna
i'd like to know how you're going to build a spec-for-spec aftermarket car audio system that'll "blow the ML system out of the water" using $1000-$1500.

since we're on that discussion, let's give it a try.

here's a list of the speakers that will need replacement:
- one center channel speaker
- 2x three-way components in the front doors
- 2x two-way components in the rear doors
- 2x midrange in the rear deck
- 1x subwoofer

to power all those speakers, you'll need at least TWO amplifiers, a six-channel and a monoblock.

you'll also need a new DVD deck. and if you want the same DVD video playback capabilities as the ML + nav system, then factor in the cost of an A/V unit w/ LCD screen and integrated nav.

you'll also need a sound processor to reproduce 5.1 channel surround sound.

there's probably a whole bunch of details that i've missed, but i'm sure if you go to http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com you can check out the details for the 2is ML system.

so unless you plan to use some swap-meet quality, 2nd-tier parts and some DIY labor, i honestly believe you wouldn't be able to do it for even $2k...
To get the 5.1 though you've got to get the NAV with the DVD player and the capability to play DVD audio disks. That is ~$4K. I agree with your post in principle though. Buying mobile audio parts and trying to equal the ML sound quality would be a very tall order. I would guess that if you bought used stuff, knew where to look and what you're doing it could happen.

Last edited by CRB; 09-10-09 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 01:12 PM
Xavier6162
Driver School Candidate

Ok this is gonna sound stupid but you guys are starting to confuse me. I don’t trust dealers when they say the vehicle has the ML System when I test drive the IS350 with NAV. So…does this mean that every NAV equip model contains the ML system also?
Old 09-10-09, 01:26 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRB
To get the 5.1 though you've got to get the NAV with the DVD player and the capability to play DVD audio disks. That is ~$4K. I agree with your post in principle though. Buying mobile audio parts and trying to equal the ML sound quality would be a very tall order. I would guess that if you bought used stuff, knew where to look and what you're doing it could happen.
i don't understand why people think that it's possible to build build a car audio system for the 2is that is spec-for-spec w/ the oem ML system for less than the upgrade price when purchased w/ the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Xavier6162
Ok this is gonna sound stupid but you guys are starting to confuse me. I don’t trust dealers when they say the vehicle has the ML System when I test drive the IS350 with NAV. So…does this mean that every NAV equip model contains the ML system also?
not every nav-equipped 2is has the ML system. however, for a nav + ML-equipped 2is, easiest way to test it is to put the 2is in park and pop in your favorite DVD. if it plays, it has ML. if it doesn't, no ML.

there are also some ways to identify whether a 2is is equipped w/ ML. easiest is the screenprint on the deck face. another way is to pop open the trunk and find the amplifier/sound processor. it's on the passenger side of the trunk underneath the plastic panel next to the spare tire compartment.
Old 09-10-09, 06:22 PM
flk 1
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks for all the input. I didn't expect so many replies. I know it looks crazy to wait a year, and then suddenly get all impatient about waiting on a special order. The only reason I didn't get my car last year was that my wife and I had a baby, and had to get something more practical. Something with room for a stroller, baby crap, etc., which ended up being a RAV4. But now its my turn, so I want to get exactly what I want. While I can't consider myself an audiophile, I really love my music, and have always wanted a great system to enjoy it. This is something I've never really had, and I intend to keep the car a while. So I'll give them both a listen, but unless I absolutely can't tell any difference, I'll probably opt for ML.