IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Misleading Gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-09, 01:16 PM
moo_juice
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmaung
I think there is a difference between IS250 and IS350. Could someone verify?
i think 250/350/F all have same tank size
Old 09-11-09, 01:54 PM
Xavier6162
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not the Tank. It's the gage.

The fuel gauge cannot measure the level of fuel in the tank; as soon as it tries to get a reading it changes the fuel level (see Heisenberg).

The same principle can be applied to the gauge itself, if you don't look at it, it will remain full.

The thing is the gauge is "trying" to be accurate, but being a digital thing in an analog world, it has to rely on other cues than actual fuel level to figure out what to display.

It starts by correctly reporting a full tank and figures it can get away with that for a while.

Then, it notices that you keep looking at it and figures that something's up with that; you, being an analog being must know better than it how much fuel you have left, and that has to be why you keep checking. This causes the gauge to move the needle.

By now the poor thing figures it's done its job and can rest a while, but you keep checking, and the more you check, the more the gauge feels that it should indicate a lower fuel level than the last time you checked.

Of course, the poor thing wouldn't suffer such anxiety if it were an analog gauge, it could simply move the needle a tiny immeasurable fraction od an amount and feel confident that it did its job.

As it is, the gauge reads the rider more than it reads the fuel tank. I have figured out how its mind works (I knew I was a psych major for a reason...once…but flunked out when I stop taking my meds), and it's fun to mess with the digital gauge.

I figured I had done really well when I managed to have it show low fuel only one hour after filling it (I looked at the thing every 2 seconds), but I recently outdid myself: I looked at the gauge so much, that I managed to cause it to indicate empty BEFORE I had even filled it up......
Old 09-11-09, 02:04 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

I drive slower than my grandmother for my 25 mile work commute, as I like to play the MPG game a little too much. I find the miles / gallons at the pump always, without fail, to be higher than the tank average, usually by at least .5 MPG.

I think those that are getting the other direction are gunning their cars. While I don't know this for sure, but I bet what's happening is that when you coast, the computer might cap the calculation at the time at 99 MPG or something like that, when in reality, for the time you are coasting, you are doing much better. Either that, or it's punishing too much for 1st and 2nd gear acceleration for those that just get up to coasting speed.

As for the miles remaining, the reason you can almost always go past 0 is that if you notice, it NEVER goes up, even after you've eased up on the tank. It's very conservative, so it never compensates you back for previous sins... it will only decrease slower, but won't readjust your total assuming you've turned a new leaf.
Old 09-11-09, 02:07 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Xavier6162

The fuel gauge cannot measure the level of fuel in the tank; as soon as it tries to get a reading it changes the fuel level (see Heisenberg).

The same principle can be applied to the gauge itself, if you don't look at it, it will remain full.

The thing is the gauge is "trying" to be accurate, but being a digital thing in an analog world, it has to rely on other cues than actual fuel level to figure out what to display.

It starts by correctly reporting a full tank and figures it can get away with that for a while.

Then, it notices that you keep looking at it and figures that something's up with that; you, being an analog being must know better than it how much fuel you have left, and that has to be why you keep checking. This causes the gauge to move the needle.

By now the poor thing figures it's done its job and can rest a while, but you keep checking, and the more you check, the more the gauge feels that it should indicate a lower fuel level than the last time you checked.

Of course, the poor thing wouldn't suffer such anxiety if it were an analog gauge, it could simply move the needle a tiny immeasurable fraction od an amount and feel confident that it did its job.

As it is, the gauge reads the rider more than it reads the fuel tank. I have figured out how its mind works (I knew I was a psych major for a reason...once…but flunked out when I stop taking my meds), and it's fun to mess with the digital gauge.

I figured I had done really well when I managed to have it show low fuel only one hour after filling it (I looked at the thing every 2 seconds), but I recently outdid myself: I looked at the gauge so much, that I managed to cause it to indicate empty BEFORE I had even filled it up......
LOL psych majors feel that can solve the worlds problems by psycho analyzing things that don't have minds. yes i have issues with my parents.
Old 09-11-09, 02:07 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Xavier6162

And what happens to the gauge as you approach the speed of light? Does it go down in the relative speed you are traveling, i.e. normal, or does it go down much faster compared to the world you left behind? So when you thought you used up 1/2 a tank, to the rest of the world, you've used up 10,000 gallons....
Old 09-11-09, 02:34 PM
eternal07
Pole Position

i only get about 0.1mpg error....computer vs hand calculate

I looked my mpg today and here it is. 50/50% hwy/city
IS350
MPG AVG : 22.9mpg
Tank AVG : 25.7mpg

my lowest I saw was 18mpg and the highest was 30.2mpg for today
Old 09-11-09, 04:51 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TLe2006
It is stated in the manual but 2 2IS(caymandive and waynetech) owners told me that when they hit 0 miles, the car stopped. When they go to filled it up, it's only 15.xx gallons
That's certainly not true. I've put 16 gallons in my car several times.

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
i dont' know about that, i've filled up 16.8 gallons before...
+1.

Javier
Old 09-11-09, 05:19 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by TLe2006
It is stated in the manual but 2 2IS(caymandive and waynetech) owners told me that when they hit 0 miles, the car stopped. When they go to filled it up, it's only 15.xx gallons
If that were true, I'd be on a first name basis with Lexus roadside assistance, as I've driven about 10 miles after the trip computer range read zero on at least a dozen occasions over the years.

My trip computer always reports a worse MPG than what I get by calculating manually, usually by about 1/2 - 1 MPG.
Old 09-11-09, 05:51 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm 99% sure i've filled up 16 gallons before.