IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Staggered setup on AWD ! - The Mother Thread - !

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 07:00 AM
rizzy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowered on BC Coils.
19x8.5(f) 235/35/19
19x10(r) 275/30/19
Had them on for about 100 miles, so too soon to tell about any issues.
I have noticed that my city mpgs have gone down about 2-3 from average, haven't been on the highway yet.
Old 03-07-11, 05:41 PM
cartistik
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

this staggered wheels on AWD topic has been beat to death on pretty much every lexus forum I can imagine. yet there always seems to be conflicting opinions as to if its doable or if it will blow your AWD system and center differential to bits....so I decided to do some research on this matter and approach it from a more educated prospective. The general consensus on AWD seems to be that all 4 wheels like to spin at the same speed as much of the time as possible or else you will have an overworked center differential and increased wear. The easiest way to make this possible is obviously by making all four wheels the same size with the same size tires as well, in order to maintain specs between these wheels as identical as possible. Now we all know that on a microscopic level, this is impossible, that is, to be EXACTLY the same size..minor differences due to manufacturing and tread wear will always exist no matter what you do...therefore it is safe to conclude that there is a margin for error on AWD systems or else youd be in the shop every month and AWDs wouldnt sell for *****. The major reason manufacturers dont do staggered wheels on AWDs is to avoid any kind of potential liability towards them if some damage where to occur with the awd system, it couldnt be blamed on that. But yes it can be done, most supercars like Lamborghinis come factory with AWD and staggered wheels on a WAAAAAAY more expensive and sophisticated awd system. Y do that if it wasnt safe??( not to mention Nissan GT-R as well)
Another thing to consider is the only way you could keep all four wheels spinning at the same rate would be to drive in a straight line forward or backwards, never turning. this is pretty much impossible your since ur steering wheel is constantly turning corners, changing lanes etc. while driving around town. during any turn, ur inner wheels will always spin slower than your outer wheels as well as front to back...thats what a differential is for, to allow wheels to spin at different speeds while under power. It would be idiotic to say that you will damage your awd drive staggerring your wheels because it will make the differential do exactly what it was meant to do. So yes, as long as your rolling diameters from front to back are as close to identical as possible, the differences will be small enough for your differentials to compensate without any increased wear.
As far as the difference in traction due to a larger contact patch in the rear from a staggered wheel...well think of it like this...even if ur front wheels was 2 inches wide and the back were 50 inches wide, if the rolling diameter is the same front to back and all four wheels are contacting dry pavement, they will all turn at the same speed (again, in a straight line front to back) no matter how slow or fast you are going. Now on the other hand, if you are constantly trying to do burnouts or attempting to drift around corners (which given the cost of a Lexus and Lexus repairs, I dont think many owners do) meaning u are forcebly trying to get the wheels to slip, then yes you could eventually do some serious damage. Everyday driving will have no affect on this whatsoever.
So not to drag this out any further since I know half of you dont want to read all this, yes i do believe it is perfectly safe to stagger wheels on an AWD so long as you keep the rolling diameters on all four wheels as close to identical as possible, then go for it i say. Feel free to disagree, I wanna hear what yall have to say...educated of course please, not cuz ur cousin heard from his friend whose dads a mechanic at yadda yadda bingbang..facts mannn FACTS!! dueces
Old 03-07-11, 06:33 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

Not doubting what you say as I agree with what you say, but where did you get your research and educated prospective? May just bring more validity and acceptance to your post depending on where your info came from.
Old 03-07-11, 07:41 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzy
Not doubting what you say as I agree with what you say, but where did you get your research and educated prospective? May just bring more validity and acceptance to your post depending on where your info came from.
Rolling diameter = same by using thinner ratio sidewalls on a wider tread tire is simple algebra.

Rolling speed differences during turns and why each wheel turns at different speeds in corners due to the differential, refer to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI

Once you watch the video, you will realize that no matter what, the inside wheels will turn at different speeds in a corner situation.

However, the AWD is probably trying to distribute force evenly to the inside and outside wheel accounting for the speed differences putting out more heat and extra wear. So I guess the reason for same rolling diameter would be so that for the 80% of the time youre going straight, youre not making the AWD differential do extra work and sustain the wear when its not supposed to.

Last edited by mikez; 03-07-11 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 08:29 PM
Trza
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, that's actually a great video...even though I'm sure it was filmed before I was born. I'm sold on a staggered setup on AWD. After reading numerous threads and conducting my own internet searches I plan to run a 19 inch staggered setup on my 2011 is 350 AWD. It seems pretty straightforward to me that you just have to have the same rolling diameters...
Old 03-08-11, 05:08 AM
rizzy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikez
Rolling diameter = same by using thinner ratio sidewalls on a wider tread tire is simple algebra.

Rolling speed differences during turns and why each wheel turns at different speeds in corners due to the differential, refer to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI

Once you watch the video, you will realize that no matter what, the inside wheels will turn at different speeds in a corner situation.

However, the AWD is probably trying to distribute force evenly to the inside and outside wheel accounting for the speed differences putting out more heat and extra wear. So I guess the reason for same rolling diameter would be so that for the 80% of the time youre going straight, youre not making the AWD differential do extra work and sustain the wear when its not supposed to.

I was more so talking about backing up the statement that it would cause NO more wear than having stock wheels and tires on. I understand the rolling diameter part. That is math and can easily be proven by crunching numbers.

Either way, good video and good info in this thread. It helped me choose my wheel/tire combo.
Old 03-11-11, 02:56 PM
Willis1550
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, I'm getting a little worried here. I have an '08 AWD IS250. Tomorrow I am dropping it on Road Magnets (~2 in).

Today, I just picked up my staggered LC818's from being mounted and balanced. They are 19x8.5 +30 with 235/35/19 F and 19x10 +38 with 275/30/19 R.

I'm not worried about the staggered fitment as much as rubbing. Right now, ground to fender is about 27". The wheels and tires are 25.5" and 25.6". Add in a 2" drop and I'm tucking a little bit. Can anyone give me some reassurance about the offsets and if anyone thinks I'll have to roll?

It's still pretty ****ty here in Pittsburgh so I probably won't get the wheels on for a while. But I'm a little nervous.

Thanks
Old 03-11-11, 06:16 PM
2FNQUIK
Driver School Candidate

^^^ I'd be worried about vibrations when lowering an AWD as far as clearance you should be fine unless you ride around with a bunch of fat chicks/guys in your car, you may rub on bumps...
Old 03-11-11, 06:38 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What about the drive line possibly geting affected from lowering? From what I was told, they need to be within a certain tolerence and certain freeplay.
Old 03-11-11, 06:43 PM
Willis1550
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2FNQUIK
^^^ I'd be worried about vibrations when lowering an AWD as far as clearance you should be fine unless you ride around with a bunch of fat chicks/guys in your car, you may rub on bumps...
Originally Posted by Sango
What about the drive line possibly geting affected from lowering? From what I was told, they need to be within a certain tolerence and certain freeplay.
It's been done and documented on here before. I dropped my WRX before this and had no problems for 5 years.

Like I said, I am just seeing if anyone can comment on the offsets or rubbing issues.
Old 03-17-11, 02:51 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

I'm trying to do this. Someone please chime in and let me know if this is a good setup? If not, what should I do? Thanks.

19x8 (front)
Offset: 35

19x8.5 (Rear)

Running 235/35/19's all around.
Old 03-22-11, 11:18 AM
EdwardK
Rookie

Originally Posted by SPNinjA
I'm trying to do this. Someone please chime in and let me know if this is a good setup? If not, what should I do? Thanks.

19x8 (front)

19x8.5 (Rear)

Running 235/35/19's all around.
This will work.

Are you going to use the Genesis Coupe wheels?
Old 03-22-11, 11:37 AM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EdwardK
This will work.

Are you going to use the Genesis Coupe wheels?
Yes!! Dubs inspired... I just got a mint set for $500 shipped!
Old 03-22-11, 01:16 PM
sensaznis
Driver School Candidate

I recently put on some IS350 staggered OEM chrome wheels on my 2006 IS250 AWD. They are 18 x 8 45mm offset in the front and 18 x 8.5 in 50mm offset in the rear. I'm running 235/40/18 on all four wheels. Originally my "check system" came on because I didn't have the TPMS mounted but now my "brake, ABS" and check VSC lights are on too. Has anyone else experienced this with a staggered set up? Should I go with a different a tire size to make it work? They look so good on the car so I don't want to take them off but I hate my dash looking like a Christmas tree even more. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-11, 01:52 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sensaznis
I recently put on some IS350 staggered OEM chrome wheels on my 2006 IS250 AWD. They are 18 x 8 45mm offset in the front and 18 x 8.5 in 50mm offset in the rear. I'm running 235/40/18 on all four wheels. Originally my "check system" came on because I didn't have the TPMS mounted but now my "brake, ABS" and check VSC lights are on too. Has anyone else experienced this with a staggered set up? Should I go with a different a tire size to make it work? They look so good on the car so I don't want to take them off but I hate my dash looking like a Christmas tree even more. Any advice would be appreciated.
Did you reinstall the TMPS yet? If not that your issue. If the 350 rim has TMPS in them then get them program as the second set of sensor.

Quick Reply: Staggered setup on AWD ! - The Mother Thread - !