IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

headrest monitors

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-09, 04:19 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default headrest monitors

i am thinking of putting in headrest monitors. I know how i am going to go about the wiring and running it under the carpet and coming out beneath the seats. But what i need advice on is the issue with allowing for the seat to move without pulling and ripping the wire.

lets say for example my drivers seat is positioned to my preference and i wire the headrest to that but then if i take it in for a service or something and they move the seat all the way back that will pull the wire and possibly cause damage. so because of this, i was thinking of moving the seat all the way to the furtherst position at the back and wiring it on that setting and then that way i have enough wire for all positions. But the problem i can see with this is that there will be alot of excess wire dangling beneath the seat when i bring the seat back to forward positions.

does anyone have any ideas how i can go about doing this? i mean the seats themselves have alot of wires going into them for the cooling and heating etc. so there must be something that they are doing

thanks in advance
Old 09-12-09, 08:04 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

dont waste your money on dumb headrest monitors...they are old news people would do back in the day. buy a lip kit, wheels and coilovers instead.
Old 09-12-09, 08:44 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250
dont waste your money on dumb headrest monitors...they are old news people would do back in the day. buy a lip kit, wheels and coilovers instead.
i dont think it's a dumb mod at all. specially if you got kids and need to travel long distances, what would keep the kids on good behaviour and entertained ?

the lip kit, the wheels, or some form of incar entertainment?
Old 09-12-09, 10:07 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG I was just thinking of this last night! I want this too but I'm going to have them incorporate the monitors in the factory headrest cause I hate it when the leather doesn't match
Old 09-12-09, 11:16 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hm.. I'm assuming you are going to wire it through the back seat as well? I'm not quite sure how that's going to work.

The only thing i can think of is take apart one of those retractable USB cables( similar to this http://www.ultraproducts.com/product...&productID=151.

They also sell retractable reels as well. Either should work fine. Make sure you take the locking mechanism out, so the reel will constantly be tugging on the cables. Of course you'll need to secure the cable at both ends so they do not come out of the plug.

Goodluck! Write us a DIY!
Old 09-12-09, 01:20 PM
Ikon_Vin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish i could do this but i drive with a gangster lean so no one likes to sit behind me =P
Old 09-12-09, 02:20 PM
Xavier6162
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ikon_Vin
i wish i could do this but i drive with a gangster lean so no one likes to sit behind me =P
A ganster lean is when one holds the wheel with the left hand while leaning to the right towards the passenger seat...while bobbong or bumpin one's head to the beat. Such an activity has no accountability to who sits in the back seat.
Old 09-12-09, 02:27 PM
gdcheng
Driver

Yes the gansta lean is all of the above, but also includes having the driver seat leaning wayyyyy back. No one can sit behind that. Lol
Old 10-28-09, 09:57 PM
thechosun
Driver

the harness underneath your seat is the perfect length for both full forward and full backward motion, just zip tie your wires to the harness and youll have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-29-09, 12:33 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Originally Posted by Xavier6162
A ganster lean is when one holds the wheel with the left hand while leaning to the right towards the passenger seat...while bobbong or bumpin one's head to the beat. Such an activity has no accountability to who sits in the back seat.

that's actually the shoulda lean. when you wanna lean wit it, rock wit it.

to the OP: you should call xzibit, cause he can put monitors in your monitors.
Old 02-09-10, 11:28 AM
rukkus2IS
Lead Lap

not much love for headrest monitors, I would put some on but that's just me.
Old 02-10-10, 08:26 AM
Xavier6162
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gdcheng
Yes the gansta lean is all of the above, but also includes having the driver seat leaning wayyyyy back. No one can sit behind that. Lol
I’m old enough to remember when the gangster lean became hip. Yes I was driving then. It was an urban slang phrase denoting a style of automobile driving in which the driver sits slung low and tilted toward the passenger side. The phrase first appeared in popular music in William De Vaughn's 1972 song "Be Thankful for What You Got," which includes the lyric "diggin' the scene with a gangsta lean."

Leaning the front seat back is “Not” the gangster lean. Back then most driver’s and passenger seats were one seat. No one drove with seats tilted wayyy back while leaning. That was just un-cool. You can’t just redefine a trend for a generation that actually lived and drove the gangster lean. I still have the pics of us cursing and leaning, styling our rides...picking up or raping with the honeys. Sorry, no wayy back seats. That’s not part of the Lean. Never was.
Old 02-10-10, 08:48 AM
Dunkin1222
Pole Position

Gangsta lean...Gotta love it
Old 02-10-10, 12:09 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's it called if u lean to the left?? Reverse gangsta lean? Haha
Old 02-10-10, 12:34 PM
simple