IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Factory Paint Durability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 12:52 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im just wondering, by spotting do you mean little red spots on your hood? 2 weeks after i purchased my car.. i noticed little red spots on the hood.. i dont know whether it was from some aerosol overspray that someone sprayed near my car or WHAT it came from
Old 09-14-09, 01:02 PM
vdubturbo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me they look like spots (one small and one large) of etched clear or faded/discolored clear... like a hazy color.
Old 09-14-09, 01:13 PM
Bodz123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
You have the EPA to thank for the fragile properties of paint on newer cars. In order to lower VOCs, they require waterborne paint, which goes on thinner, cures differently, and is not nearly as durable as the non-environmentally friendly stuff. Manufacturers and body shops are required to use the new paint, and as you've noticed, it doesn't stand up to the real world very well.

If you're getting staining on the clear due to bird bombs, try claying the area. If that doesn't work, a good machine polish will probably remove it.

Unfortunately, 36 hours is more than enough time for bird crap to etch and stain the paint. Sealants and waxes might help, but you have to accept that driving the car will result in imperfections. The only way to keep a black car perfect is to keep it parked and covered.
I'm tired of this lame excuse too! This is not the only "new" car I own but its the only one that chips left and right. Lexus has almost lost a life long customer with this garbage. My advice to everyone here. Call and COMPLAIN!!! Not the dealer either. Call corprate.
Old 09-14-09, 02:17 PM
vdubturbo
Driver

Originally Posted by Bodz123
Call and COMPLAIN!!! Not the dealer either. Call corprate.
I'm seriously thinking about it. I wasn't concerned leasing the car b/c I knew I would take care of it. Now I'm concerned they're going to ding me when I turn the car in... No pun intended. :-)
Old 09-14-09, 02:41 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 757 Likes on 527 Posts

I'm tired of this lame excuse too! This is not the only "new" car I own but its the only one that chips left and right. Lexus has almost lost a life long customer with this garbage. My advice to everyone here. Call and COMPLAIN!!! Not the dealer either. Call corprate.
It's not an excuse if it's true. My dad's 08 E350 has chips, his secretary's 09 C300 has chips, my brother's 08 STi has chips, and my mom's 08 RXh has chips.
Old 09-14-09, 02:53 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by JVT
I can honestly say this now...Lexus paint is very cheap! I swear they must spray one coat of paint and clearcoat.

My IS is 3 mos. old and has couple of rock chips on the hood already. Unlike my E63 AMG (1 1/2yrs old), drove it daily for over a year...no rock chips at all.
Your E63 AMG is also almost more than twice the price of a 2IS. Mercedes-Benz also has state-of-the-art clear-coating technology and is world-renowned for their high quality finishes.

After almost 2 full years of daily driving, my IS F has only one rock chip on the hood and I saw the rock coming.
Old 09-15-09, 04:15 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Silver and the paint quality has been outstanding for me. No chips, Swirls, Discoloring. All in all best color to get
Old 09-15-09, 04:46 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
I have Silver and the paint quality has been outstanding for me. No chips, Swirls, Discoloring. All in all best color to get
Well, I think it depends on how close you look. I have silver paint too and it hide the imperfection pretty good when you look at it from distance or in direct sun light. But when I look closer when sun goes away I can see all tiny scratches on the hood and bumper in the reflection.
Old 09-15-09, 05:58 AM
psedog
Driver School Candidate

I also have Black Obsidian paint. It's on a G35, but I have the same issues that you talk of. If only I could get an Oil based paint job

I don't think a clay bar will pull out the stain. Instead try a "Paint Cleaner" It is quicker and should do the trick. Follow it up with a light wax and you should be good. It will take more work to get out swirl/light scratch marks.
Old 09-15-09, 07:08 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You're confusing explanations for excuses. I don't make excuses for things that are out of my control...I'm guessing Lexus doesn't either.
Old 09-15-09, 07:09 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joeker
im just wondering, by spotting do you mean little red spots on your hood? 2 weeks after i purchased my car.. i noticed little red spots on the hood.. i dont know whether it was from some aerosol overspray that someone sprayed near my car or WHAT it came from
That sounds like rail dust from transit - very common. A clay bar will take it right off.
Old 09-15-09, 07:37 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think all the advice you need has already been provided (clay bar, wax, clearbra). My introduction to black Lexus cars was the exact same as yours - the endurance of the paint was below my expectation.

I had to get my front bumper repainted due to all the rock chips, and I barely drove the car. First thing I did after the respray was to get a clearbra - it is well worth the investment.
Old 09-15-09, 11:59 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a clear bra on my car 2 days after it rolled off the delivery truck. I also remove bird crap the second I see it, not days later. And, I am the only one who washes my IS. As a result of these simple steps, there is not a single rock chip, scratch, or swirl mark on my car.

Last edited by ISF_GG; 09-15-09 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 01:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Haven't had any isues with my paint (yet). Keeping on a fresh coat of wax goes a long way in preventing much of what we are all talking about here.
Old 09-15-09, 05:43 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Haven't had any isues with my paint (yet). Keeping on a fresh coat of wax goes a long way in preventing much of what we are all talking about here.
If it does help, it's practically immeasurable. This has been discussed to death on sites like autopia. Wax/sealant makes the paint look good and provides some protection from contaminants and UV damage, but does not provide protection against debris hitting the paint at high speed.

Quick Reply: Lexus Factory Paint Durability?