IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Factory Paint Durability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 08:21 PM
yOyOYoo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I put a clear bra on my car 2 days after it rolled off the delivery truck. I also remove bird crap the second I see it, not days later. And, I am the only one who washes my IS. As a result of these simple steps, there is not a single rock chip, scratch, or swirl mark on my car.

No swirls or scratches on a black lexus?! Are you sure about that?!

I always like how sexy my car looks, until I see it in direct sunlight at just the right viewing angle - swirls everywhere. Sadly, i'm the only one who has washed this car - aside from the first time the Lexus dealership washed the car on delivery - I blame all these marks on them!!

Tell me your secret!! What type of microfiber clothes are you using to quick detail? What type of cleaning sponge and drying cloth are you using?
Old 09-15-09, 09:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
If it does help, it's practically immeasurable. This has been discussed to death on sites like autopia. Wax/sealant makes the paint look good and provides some protection from contaminants and UV damage, but does not provide protection against debris hitting the paint at high speed.
There's no way a coating of wax can prevent pitting. I was referring to stains and spots.
Old 09-16-09, 04:26 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vdubturbo
I'm having issues!

Help me out here. This isn't the first black car I've owned but its the first black car that I've had major concerns over the finish's durability.

The hood in particular seems to be very susceptible to spotting caused by debris and fluids. For example... the car is always spotless and garage kept. I come back from a quick ride and I have a spot on my hood that simply won't come out. Its almost as if it discolored the clear coat. My guess is it was a fluid from another car in traffic or...

...bird poop. That's the latest one. I put the car in my driveway while I cleaned my garage and a single spot of nature hit the car and I didn't notice it until the next day. By the time I went to clean it off, it also had discolored the clear coat. And noticeably too. The spot is nearly an inch in diameter. And I swear on anything you throw in front of me it wasn't on the car more than 36 hrs, and most of that time in the garage.

So I have 3 questions:
  1. Is this normal?
  2. Any tricks on removing the 2 spots?
  3. Why doesn't this happen to people who don't care about their cars? :-)

TIA
I have this same problem. I got like 3 spots that formed when I took my car to a carwash place and they left 3 blobs of wax dry in the sun on the hood. The spots are STILL there even after claying and polishing.
Old 10-11-09, 04:29 PM
retaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got my Obsidian IS 350 4 months ago.

I found the time to do a full detailing with the claybar and wax about a month after I bought it. There were already a few spots that could not be removed. Love bug season brought a few more.

The worst news is that some part of my detailing regimen has introduced two clear coat scratches. Unless I find more time to detail it everyday, I think I'm going to continue to collect these imperfections.

I must say that a wash and a wax still make her look awesome. The casual observer doesn't check the car for spots and scratches.
Old 10-11-09, 09:34 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

i have tungsten pearl, bird poop didn't do anything to the color. but got tons rock chips and scratches...
Old 10-13-09, 11:14 AM
Premier Films
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With current state of water-based paint, it is not surprising to see how easily the paint chips. Paint protection film, aka clear bra, is a good product to use to prevent damage or further damage to the front end of the vehicle.
Old 10-13-09, 12:09 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Premier Films
With current state of water-based paint, it is not surprising to see how easily the paint chips. Paint protection film, aka clear bra, is a good product to use to prevent damage or further damage to the front end of the vehicle.
Indeed, although what is essentially a piece of saran wrap is absolutely, ridiculously expensive.
Old 10-13-09, 05:46 PM
Lexi D
Driver

I drive evryday in the bay area (880). There is just no way you can avoid chips on the front of the hood. I just accpet it.
Old 10-13-09, 06:21 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Indeed, although what is essentially a piece of saran wrap is absolutely, ridiculously expensive.

$500 for some clear plastic on the front end of my car that will eventually get scatches and yellow does not sound like a deal to me. I'd rather repaint in a few years.
Old 10-14-09, 05:12 PM
vdubturbo
Driver

I'd rather repaint in a few years.
If you can find a body shop who's paint work is worth a damn, let me know. Either the paint work is shady or the people are shady.
Old 10-14-09, 05:15 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

$500 for some clear plastic on the front end of my car that will eventually get scatches and yellow does not sound like a deal to me. I'd rather repaint in a few years.
Are you kidding? A full chip protection system around here goes for about $1500. That's a quarter of a paint job.
Old 10-14-09, 08:16 PM
vanson350
Driver

Default Bad paint

Yes I agree the paint sucks. I just sold my 97 Acura CL and the hood had less chips in it after 12 years and 198K miles than my 2007 IS350 hood. It sucks that we have to go and spend $500 plus to try and save our paint jobs.
Old 10-14-09, 08:20 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I believe it would cost more than $500 for a job at premier. They would probably charge you a arm and a leg. Since I got quoted $300+ to tint my windows.
Old 10-14-09, 08:25 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I only have one chip on my car, and I actually tried to avoid the rock that did it, to no avail.
Old 11-15-09, 06:57 AM
psedog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrHarris
I have this same problem. I got like 3 spots that formed when I took my car to a carwash place and they left 3 blobs of wax dry in the sun on the hood. The spots are STILL there even after claying and polishing.
Have you tried a paint cleaner yet? I had a bunch of spots in my paint after I shipped it to Japan. Nothing got it out until I used Liquid Clay. Before that I had used a multitude of Meguiars polishes (w/ porter cable D/A) and a clay bar.

Quick pics of the result. (06 G35)

The hood

Off the door

Before and After

Quick Reply: Lexus Factory Paint Durability?