IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Factory Paint Durability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09 | 04:59 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Default Lexus Factory Paint Durability?

I'm having issues!

Help me out here. This isn't the first black car I've owned but its the first black car that I've had major concerns over the finish's durability.

The hood in particular seems to be very susceptible to spotting caused by debris and fluids. For example... the car is always spotless and garage kept. I come back from a quick ride and I have a spot on my hood that simply won't come out. Its almost as if it discolored the clear coat. My guess is it was a fluid from another car in traffic or...

...bird poop. That's the latest one. I put the car in my driveway while I cleaned my garage and a single spot of nature hit the car and I didn't notice it until the next day. By the time I went to clean it off, it also had discolored the clear coat. And noticeably too. The spot is nearly an inch in diameter. And I swear on anything you throw in front of me it wasn't on the car more than 36 hrs, and most of that time in the garage.

So I have 3 questions:
  1. Is this normal?
  2. Any tricks on removing the 2 spots?
  3. Why doesn't this happen to people who don't care about their cars? :-)

TIA
Old 09-14-09 | 07:01 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

clear bra....
Old 09-14-09 | 07:06 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Use Zaino products, you might have to use a claybar to remove those two spots. Do you have any pics ??
Old 09-14-09 | 07:37 AM
kams229
Pole Position

Could try a carnauba cleaner wax it should work and if not a clay bar will do the trick
Old 09-14-09 | 07:44 AM
JVT
Lead Lap

I can honestly say this now...Lexus paint is very cheap! I swear they must spray one coat of paint and clearcoat.

My IS is 3 mos. old and has couple of rock chips on the hood already. Unlike my E63 AMG (1 1/2yrs old), drove it daily for over a year...no rock chips at all.
Old 09-14-09 | 07:46 AM
Lexus Test Driver

You have the EPA to thank for the fragile properties of paint on newer cars. In order to lower VOCs, they require waterborne paint, which goes on thinner, cures differently, and is not nearly as durable as the non-environmentally friendly stuff. Manufacturers and body shops are required to use the new paint, and as you've noticed, it doesn't stand up to the real world very well.

If you're getting staining on the clear due to bird bombs, try claying the area. If that doesn't work, a good machine polish will probably remove it.

Unfortunately, 36 hours is more than enough time for bird crap to etch and stain the paint. Sealants and waxes might help, but you have to accept that driving the car will result in imperfections. The only way to keep a black car perfect is to keep it parked and covered.
Old 09-14-09 | 08:58 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

try a clay bar, polish, then nice 2 coats of wax. or take it to a detailing shop
Old 09-14-09 | 09:12 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Thanks guys. I contemplated a clear bra but I never had a need for one on any of my other vehicles after leaving Colorado... or at least i thought!

I'll try and polish it out and hit the car with another coat of wax.

I noticed the rock chip sensitivity too... Mental note for the next car I guess. Too bad. I'm just glad I'm not the only who's noticed the "weak" paint.
Old 09-14-09 | 09:59 AM
yOyOYoo
Rookie

vdub, i'm noticing the same thing on my new black IS daily driver. I think about repainting it almost on a weekly basis to a more manageable color. Recently I've thought about applying vinyl wrap in a different color to the entire vehicle. I've also thought about putting on paint protection film over the entire vehicle!!

I don't know who said it first, but owning a black car is a part time job.
Old 09-14-09 | 10:57 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 15951
You have the EPA to thank for the fragile properties of paint on newer cars. In order to lower VOCs, they require waterborne paint, which goes on thinner, cures differently, and is not nearly as durable as the non-environmentally friendly stuff. Manufacturers and body shops are required to use the new paint, and as you've noticed, it doesn't stand up to the real world very well.

If you're getting staining on the clear due to bird bombs, try claying the area. If that doesn't work, a good machine polish will probably remove it.

Unfortunately, 36 hours is more than enough time for bird crap to etch and stain the paint. Sealants and waxes might help, but you have to accept that driving the car will result in imperfections. The only way to keep a black car perfect is to keep it parked and covered.
The German government was actually way ahead of the EPA on this.
Old 09-14-09 | 11:04 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Black is hardest color to maintain, you should know this!!
Old 09-14-09 | 11:16 AM
Nellyhx
Pole Position

i've noticed this problem on my Black IS too! The first time it happened, there were at least 4 bird poop stains on my hood, I had Longo lexus's detailer remove it since I bought a package with the car that "should" have prevented this. The second time.... it was another bird poop... it was only on my hood for less that 4 hours.... I tried to wash it off by soaking the poop with quick detailer for like 10 minutes, not only did I get another stain on my hood... I also scratched it. This has happened to me so many times, i've tried to clay it a few times.... but it doesn't seem to work.
Old 09-14-09 | 11:56 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
Black is hardest color to maintain, you should know this!!
I did... but this takes it to a new level! My black GTI has held up great... and that's my daily driver! The IS just sits in the garage... unless its outside getting pooped on

Originally Posted by N1gHt3R1d3
not only did I get another stain on my hood... I also scratched it.
Hahaha... I'm afraid to look at mine this morning, but i think my micro fiber towel scratched my hood too.

Does anyone know or think this problem is just as pronounced with the Starfire Pearl color? That was going to be my next color IS.
Old 09-14-09 | 12:00 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Not particularly bad with tungsten pearl - no worse than my 2001 BMW.
Old 09-14-09 | 12:29 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vdubturbo
Thanks guys. I contemplated a clear bra but I never had a need for one on any of my other vehicles after leaving Colorado... or at least i thought!

I'll try and polish it out and hit the car with another coat of wax.

I noticed the rock chip sensitivity too... Mental note for the next car I guess. Too bad. I'm just glad I'm not the only who's noticed the "weak" paint.
If you already have the chips and other spots don't bother with clear bra now. Paint you hood then get clear bra otherwise you'll just be protecting your already damaged paint which would be a waste IMO.

Quick Reply: Lexus Factory Paint Durability?