IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weirdest HID problem...please help~!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 08:28 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Weirdest HID problem...please help~!

*deep breath*

Ok I have this weird problem. A year ago I got a pair of D4S bulbs and I put them in myself (i have stock HIDs running the AFS setup). They ran for 6-7 months with no issues. Now, one of them died so I replaced them under warranty. No Problem. 3 months later one "died" again. So, again, I had them replaced. 3 months no problems. Then, AGAIN, one "dies" now i'm very frustrated and questioning the quality of the bulbs.

I have to add here that the bulbs I got never really gave me that bluish look. More like a 5000k look...just...white?

Now my bulbs dealer gave me a new set of bulbs to try out. These are brand new Supervision HID D4S bulbs. I put them in today and they seem to be ok.

I went out tonight to try them out and, wow, my passenger side goes out. Now i'm mad. How can so many bulbs go out?!?! This isn't making any sense. So now I put in the one that is still working from the previous set and replaced the one that "died". Lights up and it's good. Go out for a drive and my driver side goes out. W T F. This didn't happen until i replaced the passenger side with the previous one. So i turn the lights off and turn them back on and it's on again. Drive around and it's perfectly fine for awhile and then the driver could randomly turn off. On the other hand, I can drive around for a long while and they won't turn off.

update #1: the passenger side stays on but it's the driver side that randomly goes out...the opposite was true before i swapped out the passenger side...

update #2: since i need to wait till my friend finishes his UFE exam before he has time to meet up with me, I decided to give another set of bulbs a try. This is a 8000k set from the same bulbs dealer. I put everything in and fired the thing up. I noticed that the driver side flickers a bit before it settles into it's warm up blue colour and it settles in about 7-8 seconds. After testing, I turned off the lights and i smell something from the driver's side. So I sniff a little and it's definitely from the driver's side bulb. I take out the bulb but nothing is burnt on the bulb. I seat the bulb back in and fire it up again. I get the flickers and it settles. Turn em off. I smell it again. I'll check it again later tonight.

update #3: isolated burning smell. it's coming from the bulb for sure because on the contact ring on the bottom of the bulb..there is some plastic on the contact and it's obviously burnt. very close to concluding that it is not the ballasts nor the wiring. the flickering can be reproduced on my friend's car and it is veyr liekly attributed to the burnt contact ring. currently running my buddy's oem 4300k philips. they fire up properly with zero flickering. will keep these bulbs for the rest of the week to see if any of the bulbs go off.

update #4: Steve at XenonDepot explained my problem to me. It appears there is nothing wrong with my ballasts and that Steve had experienced this when selling his first batch of bulbs (but have since rectified it with a new batch after tweaks). My buddy's 4300k Philips have been running for almost a week with zero problems and zero blinking. I actually forgot how bright the stocks were lol. Anyways, bought a pair of bulbs from Xenon Depot.

I'm VERY confused here. I can't seem to understand how this could happen with so many bulbs in such short amount of time especially with a brand new set. I've come up with a few theories:

1) the bulbs are total crap and i should buy from a reputable brand
2) there is something wrong with my circuit...maybe my ballasts are BOTH wonky?!
3) my battery is starting to give out...this is an '06 IS350.
4) my fog HID conversion somehow killing the circuit (i'm not too sure about this because every time i test it, i leave the fogs off and i never turn on the car with them on)

I'm on the verge of kicking something. The next thing i'm going to try is borrow my friend's old stock 4300k philips and run those and see if i'm still having these problems. I figured if those are going out as well, I have an internal problem. The sockets are locked in properly and the clips are clipped in properly.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

---------------------------------------------------

CONCLUSION:

It is to my conclusion that #1 was the problem (as hard that is to believe). Steve has explained everything to me (you can read my update above or steve's response on page 2).

Thank you everyone for your input! It is greatly appreciated!

I'm going to leave a link to my experience dealing with Steve here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post4864303

--------------------------------------------------

Followup: put in the Xenon Depot bulbs (didn't get a chance to do it last night since UPS came at 7pm and it was hot lol)...guess what, NO FLICKERING during warmup...that was all i asked for! Did a short 10 min burn in test...lights stay on. Bulbs are a perfect match with my parking lights! Will take pics and do more tests tonight! w00000t!!!

Pics: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-welcomed.html

Last edited by w1ck3d64; 09-23-09 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 09:21 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think its gotta be #2. You should just try to change out the stock Ballast.
Old 09-15-09, 09:54 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I am subscribing for the results of your investigation
Old 09-15-09, 10:02 PM
MidnitE01
Driver School Candidate

Did u increase the fuse to a higher amp fuse? or its #1.
Old 09-15-09, 10:04 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

fuse would not explain this at all....
Old 09-15-09, 10:05 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Phil888
i think its gotta be #2. You should just try to change out the stock Ballast.
i'm not too convinced yet that it's the stock ballasts because after i swapped out the passenger side, that side stays on but now my driver side is going out. it's almost like i cannot run two headlights at the same time... -_-

does anyone know the usual signs of ballast problems? i'm guessing it'd be bulbs flickering or not firing at all..

Last edited by w1ck3d64; 09-15-09 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 12:30 AM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It wouldn't be a ballast problem. If it was a faulty ballast it would either not turn on or it will turn on, flicker and then die. But since you said that you drove around a bit before it turned off then it's not the ballast. I think it would probably be your connection. Just make sure it is plugged in all the way and when you turn to lock it in make sure it is all the way.
Old 09-16-09, 12:38 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

unless you're running a high-powered aftermarket car audio system w/ lots of amplifiers, or your 2is alternator went south, it's unlikely the battery is giving you problems.

although you retrofitted your fog lights w/ an HID system, i would think that the HID system is on a separate circuit - and thus has its own fuse. maybe a 2is uber-expert can chime in and confirm that?

my best guess is that either the HID system circuit is bad (could be anywhere along the circuit itself), or the aftermarket D4S bulbs.

try this, and see what happens: re-install your oem d4s bulbs. if you can duplicate the problem w/ oem d4s bulbs, then it's probably somewhere in the HID system circuit - possibly the ballasts or wiring if they were tampered with (usually in the process of swapping D4S bulbs you don't have to touch the HID system wiring). if you can't duplicate the problem w/ oem d4s bulbs, then the bulbs are the problem.

i can't confirm this, but i've read/heard that the 2is oem HID system is very finicky, and has issues w/ aftermarket bulbs. that's not to say that aftermarket D4S bulbs won't work with the oem HID system; there are stories of aftermarket D4S bulbs working just fine. that's also not to say that the ballasts are failproof either.

good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 09-16-09, 10:11 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by projectdna
unless you're running a high-powered aftermarket car audio system w/ lots of amplifiers, or your 2is alternator went south, it's unlikely the battery is giving you problems.

although you retrofitted your fog lights w/ an HID system, i would think that the HID system is on a separate circuit - and thus has its own fuse. maybe a 2is uber-expert can chime in and confirm that?

my best guess is that either the HID system circuit is bad (could be anywhere along the circuit itself), or the aftermarket D4S bulbs.

try this, and see what happens: re-install your oem d4s bulbs. if you can duplicate the problem w/ oem d4s bulbs, then it's probably somewhere in the HID system circuit - possibly the ballasts or wiring if they were tampered with (usually in the process of swapping D4S bulbs you don't have to touch the HID system wiring). if you can't duplicate the problem w/ oem d4s bulbs, then the bulbs are the problem.

i can't confirm this, but i've read/heard that the 2is oem HID system is very finicky, and has issues w/ aftermarket bulbs. that's not to say that aftermarket D4S bulbs won't work with the oem HID system; there are stories of aftermarket D4S bulbs working just fine. that's also not to say that the ballasts are failproof either.

good luck, and keep us updated.
yeah i've concluded that i need to isolate this problem but going back to oem. clearly replacing the bulbs are not working (my bulbs dealer actually let me keep all the "defective" bulbs so i might actually have 3 pairs which are perfectly fine at home...)
Old 09-16-09, 03:07 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

update #2: since i need to wait till my friend finishes his UFE exam before he has time to meet up with me, I decided to give another set of bulbs a try. This is a 8000k set from the same bulbs dealer. I put everything in and fired the thing up. I noticed that the driver side flickers a bit before it settles into it's warm up blue colour and it settles in about 7-8 seconds. After testing, I turned off the lights and i smell something from the driver's side. So I sniff a little and it's definitely from the driver's side bulb. I take out the bulb but nothing is burnt on the bulb. I seat the bulb back in and fire it up again. I get the flickers and it settles. Turn em off. I smell it again. I'll check it again later tonight.
Old 09-16-09, 04:32 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

^ try switching sides and see if you smell it from the same bulb.

if you do, it's the bulb.

if you don't, it's definitely something else.
Old 09-17-09, 04:37 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

^ try switching sides and see if you smell it from the same bulb.

if you do, it's the bulb.

if you don't, it's definitely something else.
it's the bulb that's been determined now. I took out the bulb again and examined the bottom of the bulb where the contact ring is and found for some reason there is plastic melted on it...switched sides and i still smell it...it's definitely the bulb.

right now i'm running my buddy's 4300k...they fire up with zero flickering and run smoothly atm.

but man it looks so weird...super bright and white parking lights and **** yellow lows -_- lol...i don't dare to turn on my fogs...

-------------------------------------

right now i want to take the time to thank projectdna and the rest of you for your input in this matter. i really appreciate the help CL members offer to other members. my sincere thanks

Last edited by w1ck3d64; 09-17-09 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 05:16 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

i would look into getting a set of quality D4S bulbs.

philips ultinon come to mind, but they are very, VERY expensive, not to mention not retailed in the US. i don't think there are philips ultinon D4S bulbs either.

some swear by garax. they're labeled "JDM", but i can't confirm that.
Old 09-17-09, 06:08 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

i would look into getting a set of quality D4S bulbs.

philips ultinon come to mind, but they are very, VERY expensive, not to mention not retailed in the US. i don't think there are philips ultinon D4S bulbs either.

some swear by garax. they're labeled "JDM", but i can't confirm that.
yeah i was looking at that..and realized that they're going to run me $300+

and i'm local to XenonDepot too
Old 09-17-09, 07:27 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

try "garax" or "XX HID" on ebay or any online e-tailer.

or you can go w/ a clublexus vendor.

Quick Reply: Weirdest HID problem...please help~!