IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

how fast is IS350 really?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 04:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by someboy
so far i haven't lost one single street race yet, thats because i am always going against integra, 90s M3, honda civic, and nissian altima? and most cars see me, they just back off. however, i have never raced a more updated car such as STI, 370z, evo( i think i will get owned badly by a modded one, same for STI), 335I.

As much i love the lexus is350, i absolutly hate the traction control and VDIM (need paddle brake dance to completely turn it off ). i feel like without VDIM turned off, IS350 just cannot beat a lot of these competitors and turning it off on the freeway is impossible. Also, IS350's engine is very hard to mod ( hard to squeeze the extra horsepower out of it ), twin turbo is just tooo much. as much as i love the IS line, i am kind of losing faith.

anybody raced a STI before? who won?

just want to see what you guys think? what are some of your racing experiences? share a few comments?

please don't tell me to go for an IS F, already paying 4k a year for insurance...and broke ( just bragging here DDD)

If you're paying 4k a year for insurance (nearly 6 times what I pay on my 350) it's extra dumb to be street racing.

That said, 07+ models can turn off TC/VSC with the TRAC button, no need for the pedal dance.
Old 09-17-09, 05:16 AM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old 04 STI (exhaust only) walked IS350's

I ran some friends several times, we even did a 5mph roll (I'm out of boost and out of traction and I caught the IS350 by 2nd gear)...

IS350 is a fast car...but it's no EVO/STI...
Old 09-17-09, 06:08 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
umm... not to me, the 370 BETTER beat the is350, its a different car with a different purpose, its sad that the is350 owns the 350z's which are SUPPOSED to be sports cars...
Considering the 350Z was released prior to the IS350, I don't see why thats sad. Also, some sports cars are plenty slower than the IS350 in a straight line, but handle great and are far more tossable/fun (MX-5, for example).

IMO, it just says the IS350 is a nicely geared/optimized car for brief sprints, which competes or outdoes its compeition, while improving in many areas over the 1st gen IS.
Old 09-17-09, 06:22 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Words of wisdom from experience:

When I first got my IS350, I literally went out looking to race people. A 4 point ticket later (and the cop was letting me off, cuz he caught me street racing which you can get your license taken away for) - I realized its dumb and not worth it.

The IS350 is quick, but someone will always beat you in the HP game. Heck, a riced out 1997 civic can beat us (if their mods are right). So then really, who gives a crap who's car is the fastest on the road.

If you bought an IS350 thinking your going to be king of the hill, you bought the wrong car. Should of got an IS-F. Or better yet, in the same price range of the IS350 you should of got the EVO X, which you can add another 100+ HP to easily. But now your driving a 'boy racer' car with no luxury and no class.

Just enjoy your luxury car, knowing its one the sexiest cars on the road (if mods are right ) - and know that it has a little pep and can flex its muscle if needed, but no it isn't the fastest 'king of the hill' car on the road. Know that and you'll enjoy your call all the more so.

Thinking the IS350 is a 'race machine' will do two things - Sorely disappoint you when you inevitably get raped by other cars, and rack up points and possible license suspension.

Just enjoy the car for what it is. A classy beautiful, somewhat quick luxury car.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 09-17-09 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-17-09, 06:36 AM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^

exactly...

this is not the platform to go 11's in...
Old 09-17-09, 07:59 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RFFG
My old 04 STI (exhaust only) walked IS350's

I ran some friends several times, we even did a 5mph roll (I'm out of boost and out of traction and I caught the IS350 by 2nd gear)...

IS350 is a fast car...but it's no EVO/STI...
I have beaten stock STIs and EVOs (old and new), but lost to several with any kind of bolt-ons. In stock form it’s a driver's race with STIs, Evos, 335s. What is absolute is the IS is easier drag race.

Koz
Old 09-17-09, 08:00 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

The IS350 is pretty fast. Likely faster than 90+% of the cars out there.
Old 09-17-09, 08:02 AM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
350 is a fast car...but NOT THAT FAST if you compared to other cars that can get super fast by performance mods
and you already know that there is IS-F if you wanna go fast,,,and I will call that F FAST

street racing experiences.....people will probably tell you that it's DUMB and not safe....period...
+1

It is DUMB and not safe to race on public roads. But I know some of you guys get taunt to race,. So if your blood is running high, find a private street and go race there. But I seriously suggest you guys go to the tracks. You can prove not only your car is fast, but you have some mad skillz with technical driving as well.

Last edited by JVT; 09-17-09 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-17-09, 08:28 AM
Madsci625
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you're paying 4k a year for insurance (nearly 6 times what I pay on my 350) it's extra dumb to be street racing.

That said, 07+ models can turn off TC/VSC with the TRAC button, no need for the pedal dance.
What does the TRAC button even do for us 2006 IS350 drivers? Seems like a placebo button considering the traction controls turns itself back on if you lose traction...annoying.
Old 09-17-09, 08:33 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

I assume that you're racing on the freeway since you said you can't turn off VDIM on freeway? You gotta take it to the track man. Endangering the public is not cool. btw where are you in CA? I'm gonna stay away from you.
Old 09-17-09, 08:38 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by dojoman
I assume that you're racing on the freeway since you said you can't turn off VDIM on freeway? You gotta take it to the track man. Endangering the public is not cool. btw where are you in CA? I'm gonna stay away from you.
You simply cannot deny how fun it is to hand those sideways-baseball-cap-wearing teens in their '95 Civic fartcans an asswhoopin'.
Old 09-17-09, 08:54 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny cause when my wife drives it she gets taunted all day.. If I drive it no one messes with me.. but on topic the IS350 is fast but no top end..
Old 09-17-09, 08:59 AM
Thr3350
Pole Position

...fast enough to get me to work
Old 09-17-09, 09:15 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
You simply cannot deny how fun it is to hand those sideways-baseball-cap-wearing teens in their '95 Civic fartcans an asswhoopin'.
nah I don't even look at them. the sound from my exhaust and intake scare them away.
Old 09-17-09, 09:18 AM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Haha damn I don't know where you live, but seems like not much modded car. If you really want to know I raced my friends STI, 2 Evo IX, GSR DB8 and a bunch others.
STI: We pulled even, from a dead start
EVO IX (340HP): At a 30 start he dead pulled on me and at the end beat me by almost 2 car space.
EVO IX (460HP): Not even going to say beat me by I don't even know how much....
GSR: We pulled even right about anything.
Other cars wise 50/50.

The IS350 is fast, but not as fast as you think. I feel very slow with it for some reason, maybe becasue I'm the slowest out of all my mod fiend friends. We race for fun and under safe environment and other times we cruise 65 on the freeway

Quick Reply: how fast is IS350 really?