IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you think Lexus should have paid the entire cost of the repair?
Yes they should pay 100% -this was a design defect
62.88%
No - Offering to pay 50% was fair
27.27%
No-they should not pay anything, the car was out of warranty--too bad
9.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

My Lexus nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 05:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it's a design defect. Many cars have "design defects" that result in many more repairs than most Lexus cars, and the standard warranties do not cover them.

As I mentioned earlier from actual experience (a couple of real examples with design defects):

Porsche - they paid 50% of the total cost to replace top mechanism with bad design.

Mercedes - they paid 0% for failed brake light assembly, a known bad design.

So I think Lexus (and Porsche in my example) covering 50% is good.
Old 09-23-09, 05:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9relude8
damn this post is now getting me worried about my 2is which is 2006 as well. Hopefully this is a rare case :-( sorry for the trouble and keeping us informed!
Yes, I'll be checking for damp carpets.

But the easier check is to glance underneath for the usual small puddle of water where the AC normally drains on the ground. Often I see that water as I walk up to the car. It's not like I'm sticking my head under the car.
Old 09-23-09, 06:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

A/C drain design failure? Lexus is fixing it for free under standard warranty, so I'm a bit confused why they're not just fixing it period. If you worked in a traveling job and put 70k on the car in two years, then it fails, is it your fault the design was defective? It's not like the failures are mileage related, they're humidity related. Are we owners or beta testers?

Whomever told you the gearbox had to come down lied 100%. Review the LSB - there's nothing about dropping the gearbox to fix this. Yes, the whole dash comes out and you'll be draining the coolant, depressurizing the A/C system, and removing the entire HVAC control unit, but you won't be dropping the gearbox.

When I first saw this LSB, it just made me all the happier I traded my 350 for the F. I could definitely envision this happening to me after the warranty expired. And I surely didn't want to go through yet another iteration of noisy cam sprockets either.
Old 09-23-09, 06:55 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
So it's a design defect. Many cars have "design defects" that result in many more repairs than most Lexus cars, and the standard warranties do not cover them.

As I mentioned earlier from actual experience (a couple of real examples with design defects):

Porsche - they paid 50% of the total cost to replace top mechanism with bad design.

Mercedes - they paid 0% for failed brake light assembly, a known bad design.

So I think Lexus (and Porsche in my example) covering 50% is good.
Interesting, sort of like saying Lexus is the tallest midget, still short, but relative to the others, tallest of the group.
Old 09-24-09, 07:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Interesting, sort of like saying Lexus is the tallest midget, still short, but relative to the others, tallest of the group.
If that floats your boat, cool. Good luck. And try not to let 1/2 gallon of water accumulate in your car before taking action next time, the smell alone can be annoying.
Old 09-24-09, 08:48 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the OP.

Furthermore, after reading the TSIB for this issue, I believe this should be a voluntary recall for the affected VIN's, or (at the very least) the TSIB should be in effect past the factory warranty period.

This is a known defect, and the owner shouldn't be punished because they are slightly beyond the warranty period. I'm sure if the OP knew this issue was essentially a ticking time bomb he probably would have bought an extended warranty and/or traded the vehicle in.

We all know that random mechanical failures happen, but there's a huge difference between saying 0.5% of transmissions will randomly fail within 10 years, and a company knowing about a design defect but choosing not to deal with it unless it happens to fall within the warranty period. That's not good customer service, and Lexus is better then that.

Do I think Lexus is legally right? Yes because they put out a TSIB for the issue, and said they will do the repair work for free if it falls within the warranty period. Do I think they are morally right and/or providing good customer service? No.
Old 09-24-09, 08:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A/C drain design failure? Lexus is fixing it for free under standard warranty, so I'm a bit confused why they're not just fixing it period. If you worked in a traveling job and put 70k on the car in two years, then it fails, is it your fault the design was defective? It's not like the failures are mileage related, they're humidity related. Are we owners or beta testers?

Whomever told you the gearbox had to come down lied 100%. Review the LSB - there's nothing about dropping the gearbox to fix this. Yes, the whole dash comes out and you'll be draining the coolant, depressurizing the A/C system, and removing the entire HVAC control unit, but you won't be dropping the gearbox.

When I first saw this LSB, it just made me all the happier I traded my 350 for the F. I could definitely envision this happening to me after the warranty expired. And I surely didn't want to go through yet another iteration of noisy cam sprockets either.
Then why isn't the flipside true for granny who only puts 4,000 miles per year on her car driving to and from bingo and the Shop Rite? If there is a "defect" that may not exhibit itself until 40,000 miles (on a Lexus warranty), then isn't it unfair to Granny that it took her 10 years to get to the point when the failure occurs?

The warranty is YRS/MILES, whichever comes first for a reason. It's a calculated gamble by the consumer and the company. If there is truly a "design defect", it is most likely that the problem will appear within the warranty period--whether it's miles or years. When a problem does appear frequently, and is known by the company, they may issue a TSB, have a recall or extend the warranty for the known problem. Acura had lots of tranny problems on TLs, and extended the warranty--but if your transmission went bad after the extension, you are still SOL.

Sometimes, things just happen. The car company isn't responsible for everything that might go wrong with the car for life.
Old 09-24-09, 10:22 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sailing217

---get this, I let lexus replace my windshield since insurance was picking up the tab and it was just under $1500. The GS which they quoted me initially was $1700. They sent the car to guardian glass since they don't do it in house and I called guardian directly and they would have charged me the price of $370.--- Stealership for sure!
Here's the brakedown:
windshield moulding: $24.84
2 roof drip moulding: $146.22
glass: $913.23
6 windshield clips: $38.16
labor: $240.00
tax: $98.21

BTW it is OE glass with a sticker on the outside that says MADE IN JAPAN.
Not to mention a loaner 09 IS had the same glass on it as my replacement.
So there is no way in hell that $370 is for OE
Old 09-24-09, 10:40 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

To the OP if you're not happy with Lexus then sell your car and get a BMW or whatever else you think would pay 100% for any issues after your warranty expires
Old 09-24-09, 10:50 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

I knew the gear box didnt have to come down. Thank you for confirming it.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-24-09 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 04:15 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
If that floats your boat, cool. Good luck. And try not to let 1/2 gallon of water accumulate in your car before taking action next time, the smell alone can be annoying.
I use weathertech floor mats in the car, which pretty much covers most of the carpeting. The weathertech mats stayed dry, but the carpeting and the padding soaked up the water when it backed up. The carpet can hold quite a bit of water. Other than the "sloshing" sound, there is is no way I would have known that water was backing up into the interior of the car. For what its worth, there was no odor either.
Old 09-24-09, 05:24 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

That said, I'm on my third set (original plus two replacements) of brakes/rotors at $1,400 per set w/69k miles while the BMW is still on the original set of brakes at 50k miles (and replacements would not have cost me anything if they had to be replaced).
Really? You must be pretty hard on the brakes if this is true. I had my pads replaced under the TSB at 5,000 miles and have not needed to replace them since. I now have 69,500 miles. I have not ever had a car that needed to replace the rotors. My Camry had 138,000 miles and my Integra 99,000 miles all original owner - me. I just don't understand how you could go through them so fast. BTW, I have a surface street commute and autox'd my car a few times.

Also, one other point.... readers of this thread should take the time to look up their VIN on the TSB in this thread - Page 2. I had never heard of this TSB and other people might have also missed it in posts on this forum.
Old 09-24-09, 07:29 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it matters if your VIN is affected by the TSB. People have mentioned that dealerships won't bother fixing it unless you are experiencing the problem. Most dealerships will keep your car for a day and say that they couldn't replicate the problem. The only thing you can do is periodically check for puddles OR pour some water on the floor and show them the TSB.
Old 09-24-09, 09:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mvlbr
To the OP if you're not happy with Lexus then sell your car and get a BMW or whatever else you think would pay 100% for any issues after your warranty expires
Hey when you find the company that will pay 100% in this situation, please let us know.

And for those that buy the BMW over the Lexus, often they will buy an extended warranty that will cost plenty too.
Old 09-24-09, 09:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I use weathertech floor mats in the car, which pretty much covers most of the carpeting. The weathertech mats stayed dry, but the carpeting and the padding soaked up the water when it backed up. The carpet can hold quite a bit of water. Other than the "sloshing" sound, there is is no way I would have known that water was backing up into the interior of the car. For what its worth, there was no odor either.
Actually you are giving us ISx50 owners some good advice and that I do appreciate. Don't use anything but OEM carpet mats in the IS. And watch for the normal drips of AC water under the car or damp carpet.

I happen to use carpet mats in mine because I have an older SUV for the few weeks per year of bad weather driving that we experience here.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-24-09 at 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: My Lexus nightmare