IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you think Lexus should have paid the entire cost of the repair?
Yes they should pay 100% -this was a design defect
62.88%
No - Offering to pay 50% was fair
27.27%
No-they should not pay anything, the car was out of warranty--too bad
9.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

My Lexus nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 05:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofan2
Also, one other point.... readers of this thread should take the time to look up their VIN on the TSB in this thread - Page 2. I had never heard of this TSB and other people might have also missed it in posts on this forum.
Most dealers won't perform a TSB unless they can "replicate" the problem. You can't just come in and tell them to do it as a preventative measure.
Old 09-25-09, 05:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
I don't think it matters if your VIN is affected by the TSB. People have mentioned that dealerships won't bother fixing it unless you are experiencing the problem. Most dealerships will keep your car for a day and say that they couldn't replicate the problem. The only thing you can do is periodically check for puddles OR pour some water on the floor and show them the TSB.
nice
Old 09-25-09, 06:29 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol TSBs are not preventative maintenance bulletins. If TSBs were for preventative maintenance, they would be sent to customers AND dealers, not just dealers.

If you are not experiencing an issue in a TSB, and you want the dealer to still perform the TSB anyway, somebody has to pay the dealer for that work, unless they are going to do this out of the kindness of their heart. Toyota won't pay a dealer under the warranty program if they have no defective parts to send in for a warranty claim. Dealers are usually required to save the parts they take out under a warranty claim and send them to the Parts recovery center, marked in the location or area of defect or failure! If there is no area of defect or failure on the parts, then it wouldn't really be a warranty claim.....
Old 09-25-09, 02:07 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Hey when you find the company that will pay 100% in this situation, please let us know.

And for those that buy the BMW over the Lexus, often they will buy an extended warranty that will cost plenty too.
VW is doing recalls for a sensor that could trip a temperature light. I'm definitely not comparing Lexus to VW, but this issue should really be a recall not a TSIB.

Issues like low dust brake pads, or squeaks, etc. should totally be a warranty-only TSIB situation, but I agree with the OP on this issue. This should be a voluntary recall by Lexus and/or at least if they want the TSIB "label" they should honor it outside the warranty period.

Lexus should step up to the plate on this specific issue. I won't be switching to BMW, but I will admit I'm a little disappointed in the outcome on this story, especially considering this appears to be a fairly significant design defect.

Last edited by rebs; 09-25-09 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-25-09, 02:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rebs
VW is doing recalls for a sensor that could trip a temperature light. I'm definitely not comparing Lexus to VW, but this issue should really be a recall not a TSIB.

Issues like low dust brake pads, or squeaks, etc. should totally be a warranty-only TSIB situation, but I agree with the OP on this issue. This should be a voluntary recall by Lexus and/or at least if they want the TSIB "label" they should honor it outside the warranty period.

Lexus should step up to the plate on this specific issue. I won't be switching to BMW, but I will admit I'm a little disappointed in the outcome on this story, especially considering this appears to be a fairly significant design defect.
I see your point, but I doubt it meets Lexus's (or BMW's, Mercedes', Infiniti's, VW's) criteria for a recall. Therefore I agree with treatment by Lexus.

As I noted OP brings up a good point about use of ALL-WEATHER mats in these cars, knowing the small chance of this problem surfacing in some of the ISx50 cars.
Old 09-25-09, 10:25 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Hey when you find the company that will pay 100% in this situation, please let us know.

And for those that buy the BMW over the Lexus, often they will buy an extended warranty that will cost plenty too.
Who's side are you on anyways? A company that makes millions and millions of dollars a year or us consumers that makes it happen with our hard earn money. This scenario is like having a baby crib design flaw that is bound to have some type of issue in the next 3-4 years. This is the sole reason why Hyundai went under and is yet to proclaim their reputation.

That's why 80-100% payout from the Corp office is very reasonable and justify. Above everything else, we bought a Lexus/Toyota for a reason and not a BMW.
Old 09-25-09, 10:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by loftus112
Who's side are you on anyways? A company that makes millions and millions of dollars a year or us consumers that makes it happen with our hard earn money. This scenario is like having a baby crib design flaw that is bound to have some type of issue in the next 3-4 years. This is the sole reason why Hyundai went under and is yet to proclaim their reputation.

That's why 80-100% payout for the Corp office is very reasonable and justify. Above everything else, we bought a Lexus/Toyota for a reason and not a BMW.
I am on the side of reality and educated in business, and I'm aware of what the premium car competitiion actually does in similar situations.

I agree I bought Lexus for many reasons and have experienced fewer defects than the average BMW owner as the result of my selection.
Old 09-25-09, 11:40 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

I am on the side of reality and educated in business, and I'm aware of what the premium car competitiion actually does in similar situations.

I agree I bought Lexus for many reasons and have experienced fewer defects than the average BMW owner as the result of my selection.
No matter how your reality is, how you think us Lexus owners are not educated enough in business, or how you justify your reasoning, it's just not right for a manufacture design flaw epecially it's a know TSIB issue. On the other hand, a normal breakage after the warranty period is a different story which is not foreseen, not a design flaw, a TSIB known issue, and/or could be an isolated incident.

Hence the Poll rest its case.
Old 09-26-09, 06:59 AM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

There is a difference between wear and tear and a design defect ,specially one that cannot easily be fixed. A designed item that is destined for failure through no fault of the user should be a 100% responsibility of the maker. I was lucky all my 6 service calls happened under warranty. Definetely not what I expected from a Lexus. I am not surprised that Lexus would pay for squeaking brakes but for something that is expensive they are denying claims.
I have not read all the comments but he is lucky if no one excoriated him for buying a first model year an 06'
Old 09-26-09, 09:50 AM
eyegirl2k7
Driver School Candidate

FYI there is a good chance your BMW will NOT be reliable around 70K. Our 325xi, presently at 75 K has a valve cover gasket leak, constantly leaking cv boots regardless of how many times they are reclamped and now, a broken front axle. It started making a clunking noise and lurching a few days ago (almost got my BF killed in highway traffic) and the BMW dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong. They sent it to an independent shop to look at it and that's how we figured out what was wrong with the axle. Thankfully we have an extended warranty or we would have spent $8000 since May.

I'm driving my RX to work because the bimmer can't seem to manage to stay on the road anymore. What's wrong with it after nearly 100K? It probably needs a new window regulator on the passenger's side.

Good luck with your BMW. My money's on the Lexus.
Old 09-26-09, 09:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by loftus112
No matter how your reality is, how you think us Lexus owners are not educated enough in business, or how you justify your reasoning, it's just not right for a manufacture design flaw epecially it's a know TSIB issue. On the other hand, a normal breakage after the warranty period is a different story which is not foreseen, not a design flaw, a TSIB known issue, and/or could be an isolated incident.

Hence the Poll rest its case.
Reality does matter unfortunately. I agree that design flaws are never a good thing.

The Poll makes no case. Final decision is with Lexus, the standard for quality in the premium car business. And Lexus is not perfect even at the top of the quality heap.
Old 09-27-09, 07:46 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

I see your point, but I doubt it meets Lexus's (or BMW's, Mercedes', Infiniti's, VW's) criteria for a recall. Therefore I agree with treatment by Lexus.

As I noted OP brings up a good point about use of ALL-WEATHER mats in these cars, knowing the small chance of this problem surfacing in some of the ISx50 cars.
Interesting, so apparently my reply to this got deleted. I hope there is a good reason because I know it showed up the day I posted the reply. Anyway...

As I pointed out in my original reply there are far "less important" things that have been recalled by numerous manufacturer's. In fact, in the year 1989 Lexus did a recall based on *2* consumer complaints (not exactly a trend).

1 consumer complaint of a defective brake light, and 1 complaint of a sticky cruise control. Lexus issued a recall. They picked up owners cars, fixed them, and then drove them back to the owner.

In fact there were 10 Lexus owners in Grand Rapids, which was 150 miles away, so the dealer flew in technicians, rented garage space, fixed and washed the cars, and then sent them back.

After researching other manufacturer's recalls (some are which are far more *mild* and less widespread than this issue), I think Lexus should definitely issue a recall and/or at least honor the TSIB outside the normal manufacturer warranty period (perhaps a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty).

I love my Lexus, and I'm definitely not advocating a change of manufacturers, but everyone makes mistakes, and frankly the handling of this issue doesn't even meet Lexus's own customer service requirements.

P.S. If you want to know more about the 1989 Lexus recall, google time magazine lexus recall 1989. I'd post the link here, but I'm thinking perhaps that's why my original post was deleted?
Old 09-27-09, 10:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

1989 was 20 years ago, not much to do with current topic here.

IMO, both cruise control problem and defective brake light are SAFETY-related so I'm not suprised by the recalls.

OP's issue created very little risk from a safety standpoint. As I mentioned (and not safety related), does not meet Lexus criteria for a recall.
Old 09-27-09, 01:07 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

1989 was 20 years ago, not much to do with current topic here.

IMO, both cruise control problem and defective brake light are SAFETY-related so I'm not suprised by the recalls.

OP's issue created very little risk from a safety standpoint. As I mentioned (and not safety related), does not meet Lexus criteria for a recall.
I find it hard to believe that *2* consumer reports = safety issue. However, even if it is, I could make a strong argument for a puddle of water on your floor boards definitely being a safety issue. Also, VW just did a recall for a sensor because it might trigger a temp led (annoying but not safety related). There are also countless other manufacturer voluntary recalls that are not safety related that I would be happy to post (if you would like).

The reason this Time article is relevant is because this type of customer service is

A.) It's Lexus ;-)
B.) Most people believe this is what put Lexus on the map.
C.) Supposedly this is the benchmark for Lexus customer service.

I love Lexus, so I'm not trying to bash them, but everyone makes mistakes, and this is a mistake by Lexus.
Old 09-27-09, 02:12 PM
is350daddy
Driver School Candidate

dude no warranty means no warranty the entire part of a warranty is that it is a specified period of time that lexus stands behind their vehicle to cover all mechanical issues, after this point if you choose not to purchase extended warranty than you are opting on your own to take the chance of covering any issues that may occur at full price...... sorry bud its ****ty but id love to see your precious bmws tell you they would pay for issues that occur after warranty expires lol

Quick Reply: My Lexus nightmare