IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problem w/ Windows Going Up After Tint Job..

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 02:11 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Problem w/ Windows Going Up After Tint Job..

I got my windows tinted a couple of days ago. I got %5 Tint and I understand its a thicker film, but I'm not sure why when I put the windows down they either catch on something and stop. Or they'll go all the way down, and once I do the one touch to put them up, it catches and either stops or goes back down. This happened a couple of times for each window when I first put them down and after that they seemed to be ok.

I've never had problems with tint on my windows on other cars in the past. I went to a pretty reputable shop, the tint was pre-cut and he didnt pop any panels off.

All the windows seem to be moving a lot more efficient and quicker except for the drivers side. I'm not sure why, I looked down in and the weather stripping on both front windows seem to be half fine and half folded down into the window.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-09, 02:34 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he didn't pop any panels off then that's where he messed up. He most likely tucked your rubber weather strip to tint the most surface area and didn't pull them back out. Bring it back and have him do it right before that seal gets permanently bent and disfigured causing streaks and the same problem you have right now..
Old 09-20-09, 06:54 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

i tried pulling up the weather stripping but I still cant get it for the last 3 or 4 inches that are left, closest to the b pillar. I'll take a look at it tomorrow when theres more light but yeah thats what i figured. He pushed the weather stripping down and didnt pop it back out.

Any ideas as to why the drivers side window is moving slower then any other?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-09, 08:32 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Update, finally got the window stripping up so its not folded into the window.

I tried putting the windows up and down, the driver side still squeaks and is slow. Theyre both leaving streaks, I'm not sure whats up with my windows. The passenger side has what looks to be a cut in it already.

Figures, i drive almost 45mins to a place that I thought would be a lot easier to deal with and a lot more reputable and my tint gets screwed up.

Old 09-20-09, 11:35 PM
intekmdma
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you going to go back to them to have them fix it?
Old 09-21-09, 12:08 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Yeah, I'm assuming thats the only thing I can do. The passenger tint needs fixed and hopefully they have the tools to pry up the second wiper thats folded down as well im assuming.. He's probably going to have to pop off the door panel to fix both wipers. The rear windows dont seem to have any problems besides residue, so he may have to pop them off as well.

I love tint, but I hate the imperfections in tint as well and how everything seems to go to poop after.

I have absolutely no clue as to why the driver side window is taking forever to go up unless he got water on something in there or somethings really catching?

blahhhh
Old 09-21-09, 10:59 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

I fixed it! wohooo. So far its looking good. I just need to take the car back in to get re tinted cause with the weather strips being all messed up they scratched the tint and some of it had little bubbles. So I'm taking it back in wednesday to get fixed.

The driver side is no longer slow after i fixed both weather strips and neither of them seem to be streaking the windows anymore.

For the future if anyone searches and they see this thread, I'll refer you to check out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post2055758

or

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fter-tint.html

both of those should help.