IS350 around Track!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 09:09 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 around Track!

Hello guys!
I have decided to make a new thread on the is350 around the track.
As some of you know (thanks to all you cl members that replied =D) I might take my is350 on the track along with the sti and s2000. I wanted to know if anyone experience and took their car on track with/out modifications. Like many of you stated (coil overs, lighter rims, sticker tire, sway, chasis), would these modification allow me to keep up with these track monsters? I know that is350 are heavy but a little lighter than the 335i bmw. I am a amatuer on cars and was wondering how the 335i handles better than the is350 and wanting to know if the the 335i would be able hang with the s2000 or the sti. I know that some people stated that the is350 handles close or better than the 335i with sway bars and springs ,etc. So I was wondering with this theory in mind that if the 335i can hang with these car, shouldn't the is350 with modification also be able to?
Thanks !!
Old 09-24-09, 06:42 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say its moreso the driver as opposed to the car, which will determine who hangs with who. Some cars definitely have more potential and inspire more confindence around a track, but if anywhere, paper performance means less in that environment. An example: a father/son combo recently brought their stock 98 Neon out to a local autoX for kicks, and posted a faster lap time than my buddies MX-5 and some other regular drivers, while posting less than a second slower than a Porsche Cayman*.

I'd take it out and have fun/learn with it, notice that some seemingly slower cars (drivers) are faster than you, then improve where you can.

* Other marques: http://www.gws-mbca.org/ax/ax-09/ax09-6.html
Old 09-24-09, 08:01 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also depends on the track, eg. if your on a small track with lots of tight corners, hairpins and not many straights, those smaller, lighter cars (s2000 and sti) will haul ***, and ud prob have a really tough time keepin up.

But as stated above, it really all depends on the driver.
Old 09-24-09, 08:56 AM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

it all depends on the driver imo.
Old 09-24-09, 09:04 AM
Feirax
Driver

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I'd say its moreso the driver as opposed to the car, which will determine who hangs with who. Some cars definitely have more potential and inspire more confindence around a track, but if anywhere, paper performance means less in that environment. An example: a father/son combo recently brought their stock 98 Neon out to a local autoX for kicks, and posted a faster lap time than my buddies MX-5 and some other regular drivers, while posting less than a second slower than a Porsche Cayman*.

I'd take it out and have fun/learn with it, notice that some seemingly slower cars (drivers) are faster than you, then improve where you can.

* Other marques: http://www.gws-mbca.org/ax/ax-09/ax09-6.html
Absolutely right. I did a HPDE Track Day in the novice group, and there was a guy in a lotus elise who couldn't shake a stock 93 Corolla with a 3 speed automatic.
Old 09-24-09, 09:18 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

driver ability being equal and oem-spec-for-spec, on an autocross parking lot pylon course a stock is350 will get owned by the s2k and the sti. the stock suspension is too forgiving at the limit, and unless you disable traction control you'll be electronically handcuffed. that, and the hesitant nature of the "tiptronic" automatic transmission means you'll be spending more time waiting for the transmission to change gears than the actual changing of the gears by the transmission.

given the same assumption, on a high-speed course that emphasizes power/speed more than handling, the is350 might stand a chance, as it's got more power to compensate for its average handling. while the is350 has more useable power at lower engine speeds, the STI would have to stay in boost, while the s2k would have to be in the astronomically-higher revs.
Old 09-24-09, 10:05 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
driver ability being equal and oem-spec-for-spec, on an autocross parking lot pylon course a stock is350 will get owned by the s2k and the sti. the stock suspension is too forgiving at the limit, and unless you disable traction control you'll be electronically handcuffed. that, and the hesitant nature of the "tiptronic" automatic transmission means you'll be spending more time waiting for the transmission to change gears than the actual changing of the gears by the transmission.

given the same assumption, on a high-speed course that emphasizes power/speed more than handling, the is350 might stand a chance, as it's got more power to compensate for its average handling. while the is350 has more useable power at lower engine speeds, the STI would have to stay in boost, while the s2k would have to be in the astronomically-higher revs.
The tranny on this car just feels painfully slow for some reason... That's kind of my one gripe about the IS350 in regards to the power train. Stock vs stock with two equal drivers, I think the IS would be a little hard pressed to keep up with an STi (especially the new generation), S2000, and 335i around a track. Drag is another story, but the IS just does not feel near as grounded as those cars in stock form.

If you start talking modded though, then I think the IS would fair better but I'm not sure how much the slow tranny will hinder, or help, you. Then again if your buddies with STis S2000s, and 335s are also modded then they may end up be just that much better than you... Just go out an have fun. If you lose to them so what? At least you'll be more comfortable than them...
Old 09-24-09, 11:08 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed a great improvement in the handling of the car after I dropped it on Tien springs on put on aftermarket wheels with higher (or lower numerically) offsets. I did a track day event recently and the car handled great. As far as the transmission issue goes, I put it in PWR mode and left it in full automatic. There wasn't a single time where I felt that I wasn't in the right gear or that it was hesitating.
Old 09-24-09, 11:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, the transmission is quite good if you don't make the mistake of thinking the paddles actually shift and just leave them alone
Old 09-24-09, 12:06 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yeah, the transmission is quite good if you don't make the mistake of thinking the paddles actually shift and just leave them alone
Yeah the paddles are a joke. If you shifted a manual that slow you'd always be out of the power band before you completed your upshift... haha
Old 09-24-09, 02:02 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the IS350 could beat the 335i on a track if the IS350 driver is better than the 335i. but with the same driver the 335i will probably make better times

lower ride height and rear sway bar and the IS handles SOOO much better, so it doesnt take that much to make it a fun car.

Last edited by juice14; 09-24-09 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 05:28 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

^ on a road circuit, only if the 335 kicks into limp-home mode and cuts back power.

in all seriousness though, driver ability and stock spec-for-spec being equal, the 335 should be a bit faster than the is350. it's much more of a driver's car than the is350.

as far as what a driver's car is, you can come to your own conclusions about that.
Old 09-24-09, 05:52 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

if you want a car that can handle with the big boys then you obviously got the wrong car. Cars like the Evo, Sti, 335, s2000 are out of the IS350 league around the track.
Old 09-24-09, 07:31 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phiber
if you want a car that can handle with the big boys then you obviously got the wrong car. Cars like the Evo, Sti, 335, s2000 are out of the IS350 league around the track.
i think you meant to say that the is350 is not in the same league as the evo, STi, 335, and s2k.
Old 09-25-09, 04:49 AM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

I thought the is350 was faster than a 335i in a drag but not on the track? Am I wrong?

Quick Reply: IS350 around Track!