Help: IS250 manual owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-09, 08:33 PM
IS08_Stick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: IS250 manual owners

Hi there,

I've been trying to search around on this forum for quite some time in regards to adjusting the height of the clutch pedal. I realized that our clutch pedal is significantly sitting higher than other manual cars i drove and in results this causes a delay gears engaging (I ended up slightly riding the clutch).

Was wondering if anybody have tried or know how to adjust the height of the clutch pedal?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-28-09, 08:59 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're leaving your foot on the cluth pedal while you're not using then you need new manual transmission driving habits. I've been driving stick for the past 10 years and I never had a problem with the pedal hight and riding my clutch as I place my foot on the dead pedal when not in use.
Old 09-28-09, 09:17 AM
IS08_Stick
Driver School Candidate

I only put my foot on the clutch pedal when I need to shift gear but with the clutch pedal on this is250 being higher than normal, I find myself having to have my foot on the clutch a few second longer than necessary.(therefore resulting in riding the clutch)

My main concern here is not the riding the clutch, but more about the height of the clutch pedal on the IS250. It is significantly sitting higher than regular manual cars (i.e. bmw, audit, rsx, civic si).

So I was wondering if the rest of the IS250 manual users have this same concern and or have fixed it?
Old 09-28-09, 11:30 AM
B16da9
Racer

Then in that case I guess it does not bother me seeing as my integra uses a cable clutch and I always had it set where the clutch grabed higher up.Also if I remember correctly the engagement point is adjustable.
Old 09-28-09, 12:16 PM
IS08_Stick
Driver School Candidate

So I guess you're fine with the clutch pedal sitting high on your IS250?
Or did you adjust the clutch pedal height to sit lower?

Wondering if its just my car or is it standard for the clutch pedal to be this high up. I'm sure somebody on this forum at least had this concern and would greatly appreciate it if somebody can directly me as to how to get this adjusted.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-09, 12:46 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clutch pedal height should never be a problem. your foot isn't moving fast enough. not like you shouldn't have enough time anyway, the car shifts slow because of a heavy flywheel and not because you can't engage it fast enough. these cars are one of the slowest shifting manuals i've ever driven before.
Old 09-28-09, 12:47 PM
kbkura
Driver

It does sit a bit higher than other cars I've driven also. I just didn't really do anything about it... if something does come up, I'd be interested in finding out too...
Old 09-28-09, 12:49 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

no offensive to any manual is250's.
i hate everthing about this transmission, and clutch. i would be way more happier with a es350.ive asked the dealer to adjust it and they wont couse they think its supposed to be like that. owell i dont care.
Old 09-28-09, 02:20 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

it is indeed adjustable....my mechanic buddy did that for me (dont ask me how he did that)
Old 09-28-09, 03:31 PM
Edz71
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSE20MT
clutch pedal height should never be a problem. your foot isn't moving fast enough. not like you shouldn't have enough time anyway, the car shifts slow because of a heavy flywheel and not because you can't engage it fast enough. these cars are one of the slowest shifting manuals i've ever driven before.

Yes Sir,.......... very true !! The shift in my IS feel like my 91 4Runner.
Old 09-28-09, 09:30 PM
mild_se7en
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS08_Stick
Was wondering if anybody have tried or know how to adjust the height of the clutch pedal?
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/imp...-AI-0084-D.pdf

i think the info you are looking for is on page 6, 7, and 8.
i hope this helps.
Old 09-28-09, 09:37 PM
IS08_Stick
Driver School Candidate

Thanks mild_se7en, I was just about to post this link up. This is a useful info however i'm not a mechanic so I won't know how to do this on my own therefore I guess i'll try contacting the dealer tomorrow and complain about the height of our clutch pedal and see what they can do about it. Hopefully they will adjust the height lower as a courtesy.

I was wondering if I was to just perform Step 15 (from the pdf file) and not even touch step 16 and step 17 would that be okie? Since step 15 is the pedal height adjustment.
Old 09-29-09, 01:25 AM
mild_se7en
Rookie

i haven't done the adjustment but it looks like step 15 only adjusts the return point of the pedal. if you actually want to change the engagement point of the clutch you will have to go through steps 16 and 17. i feel that the engagement point was a little high when i first got this car. i got used to it pretty quickly and never got around to readjust clutch pedal.

if you're not sure about wrenching this yourself, take your car to a pro or at least someone more knowledgeable. if you just go in there and start turning the adjustment nuts aimlessly, you could send the pedal way out of spec. in a severe out of spec case, your clutch may not fully engage or fully disengage.

good luck,
Old 09-29-09, 08:06 AM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

mild sevens are bomb *** ciggs.
Old 09-29-09, 09:25 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by GSE20MT

last time I checked a heavy flywheel does not cause a transmission to shift slow. It does however cause the motor to rev slower.

I do agree with you that the transmissions is not the best thing in the world but I have driven worse.

Quick Reply: Help: IS250 manual owners