IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

a few annoying things..

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 11:48 PM
VF84
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few annoying things..

got a few things that bug me about the car..

a, when the doors are unlocked, can't open the trunk from the outside/back without the key.

b, when parked (tranny in P) with engine on and driver's door open, turning off the engine means more stupid beeping.

asked the dealer and they couldn't get around it. i found it rather annoying. the loaner rx350 wasn't this annoying; power tailgate still allowed for manual opening from the outside without key, nav screen automatically jumps from lawyer warning screen to map after a few secs, and car doesn't beep like crazy when u turn off the engine with the front door open...

anyway, just wondering if ppl here found ways around it.

oh, another thing, if the car isn't running, and i'm inside, i can't press the memory seat buttons to move the seat without opening the door. and if i leave the door open too long, i can't use them either.
Old 09-30-09, 12:18 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For #1. You just hold the trunk button to release the trunk. The key fob just needs to be on you. Button is up and right of your license plate.

For #2, shouldn't the lexus personalized settings disable this feature?

it kinda seems like your dealer is clueless.
Old 09-30-09, 01:24 AM
sixseven1
Driver

check your trunk cancel button in your glove box. that may fix your first problem.
Old 09-30-09, 05:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OP's point is this--on some makes, particularly German, when the car is unlocked, you can just push the trunk button and the trunk will open. On the IS, if you don't have the key in your pocket, you can't open the trunk without going into the car--even with the car unlocked, pushing the external trunk button does nothing.

Note, VF, that those cars have MECHANICAL buttons to open the trunk, not smart key buttons (although, I don't know how the German smart keys work with the trunk).

Personally, I'm coming from an Acura, that didn't have a button or lock on the trunk--it could only be opened with the fob or the trunk release in the cabin, so it's really no different and doesn't bother me.

As for the beeps--doesn't bother me.
Old 09-30-09, 08:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VF84
the loaner rx350 wasn't this annoying; nav screen automatically jumps from lawyer warning screen to map after a few secs

Yours will do the same if you update the map disc
(be sure to grab your ankles before getting the price on the new disc though)
Old 09-30-09, 09:50 AM
IZZO2FIZZO
Lead Lap

for b..... why dont u just turn off the car then open the doors, easy fix, thats a user error not the car.
Old 09-30-09, 11:10 AM
VF84
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
On the IS, if you don't have the key in your pocket, you can't open the trunk without going into the car--even with the car unlocked, pushing the external trunk button does nothing.
Personally, I'm coming from an Acura, that didn't have a button or lock on the trunk--it could only be opened with the fob or the trunk release in the cabin, so it's really no different and doesn't bother me.
yeah, can't open it from the back without the smart key even if doors are unlocked. we also have an acura, and yes, at least on our acura, u can release the trunk with the button on the trunk without the key, so long as car is unlocked.

it's annoying cuz if i want to go into the garage load something up, i need to either grab the key first, which i forget sometimes or aren't dressed yet and don't wanna misplace the key, or, i need to circle around and open the driver's side door, which is tight.. and that leads to this next part.

Originally Posted by IZZO2FIZZO
for b..... why dont u just turn off the car then open the doors, easy fix, thats a user error not the car.
i have shelves/cabinets which i put on the garage wall. it is positioned such that i can park the car properly so that when i open the door (to the first stop on the hinge), it doesn't hit the cabinet and i can get out easily and is far enough ahead of the garage door. my wife has already parked it too far back and have the garage door gouge a few deep scars on the rear bumper... hence, i open the door while the car is still on so that i can see where the car door is in relation to cabinets.. it is not operator error.

besides, don't u sometimes check how close u'r to the lines in a public parking lot?
Old 09-30-09, 11:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VF84
i have shelves/cabinets which i put on the garage wall. it is positioned such that i can park the car properly so that when i open the door (to the first stop on the hinge), it doesn't hit the cabinet and i can get out easily and is far enough ahead of the garage door. my wife has already parked it too far back and have the garage door gouge a few deep scars on the rear bumper... hence, i open the door while the car is still on so that i can see where the car door is in relation to cabinets.. it is not operator error.

besides, don't u sometimes check how close u'r to the lines in a public parking lot?
Oh--you will be parking out in the driveway soon enough.
Old 09-30-09, 11:36 AM
VF84
Pole Position

nah, had the windows busted open when i parked on the street . and it only had 2000 miles on it when it happend.. all for a $50 baby carrier
Old 09-30-09, 12:17 PM
Stevoe88
Lead Lap

Regarding the navigation issue, the 09+ does the same thing as that loaner RX you had. It shows the lawyer screen and goes straight to the navi home screen. No pushing any buttons on screen what so ever.
Old 09-30-09, 01:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stevoe88
Regarding the navigation issue, the 09+ does the same thing as that loaner RX you had. It shows the lawyer screen and goes straight to the navi home screen. No pushing any buttons on screen what so ever.
Like I said 5 posts ago, the 06-08s do the same thing if you update the map disk. (actually pretty sure the 08s did it from the factory too, so just 06-07 you need to update the map disk to get this)
Old 09-30-09, 02:26 PM
mr.intel
Driver School Candidate

on a side note, is there any way to have the radio still remain on after you turn off the engine? on my previous cars the radio would remain on even with the engine off and would stay on until you open the doors. but on the lexus it everything shuts off as soon as you turn off the engine
Old 09-30-09, 02:40 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Your problems with the vehicle are truly superficial and quite nit-picky. Threads like these make me shake my head in disgust... thank god there's only a handful.
Old 09-30-09, 03:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mr.intel
on a side note, is there any way to have the radio still remain on after you turn off the engine? on my previous cars the radio would remain on even with the engine off and would stay on until you open the doors. but on the lexus it everything shuts off as soon as you turn off the engine
You have two options-

1) With your foot OFF the brake, use the start button to turn the radio back on

2) Before you turn the car off, put it in neutral, then turn it off, then put it in park. Radio will remain on.
Old 09-30-09, 04:03 PM
outlaws
Rookie

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Your problems with the vehicle are truly superficial and quite nit-picky. Threads like these make me shake my head in disgust... thank god there's only a handful.

seriously theres nothing wrong with those questions...

also, how do you get the cd to go on random??? how come theres no feature to do that.. seems kinda archaic

Quick Reply: a few annoying things..