IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Driver's side low-beam headlight died (kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 09:38 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this same problem recently but it occurs to both my driver's and passenger side. I have aftermarket XenonDepot D4S bulbs and they were working fine until yesterday.

When I turn them on, it seems the bulbs are not getting full power for some reason. The bulbs are very dim (could be the bulbs or maybe the ballast) and they stay on for maybe 1 min and then automatically turn off. While the bulbs are on, the AFS does not work. It does not move my headlights left or right. When they turn off, I have to again turn off my headlight switch and turn it back on again.

I will also note that I have HID fogs as well but I have tested turning on my low beams both with and without the fogs on at the same time.

Tomorrow I will replace the D4S bulbs with the OEM bulbs and see what happens.
Old 01-04-10, 09:58 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

d4s bulbs are hid bulbs and most of they guys are right bulbs here are cheap and easy to install. dealer 291=dumb. ask for ky!
Old 01-05-10, 03:47 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iskcon
I have this same problem recently but it occurs to both my driver's and passenger side. I have aftermarket XenonDepot D4S bulbs and they were working fine until yesterday.

When I turn them on, it seems the bulbs are not getting full power for some reason. The bulbs are very dim (could be the bulbs or maybe the ballast) and they stay on for maybe 1 min and then automatically turn off. While the bulbs are on, the AFS does not work. It does not move my headlights left or right. When they turn off, I have to again turn off my headlight switch and turn it back on again.

I will also note that I have HID fogs as well but I have tested turning on my low beams both with and without the fogs on at the same time.

Tomorrow I will replace the D4S bulbs with the OEM bulbs and see what happens.
How long did u have the XenonDepot D4S bulbs in for?
Old 01-05-10, 07:59 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

i have an extra pair of oem d4s bulbs if you want them
Old 01-05-10, 08:28 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

i had the same problem but with a pair of garax 6000k bulbs, but it was happening to my passenger side. Switched back to the oem bulbs and is working fine again. could be a bulb issue.
Old 01-05-10, 11:58 AM
thechosun
Driver

Hey,

I found a video of the install process on www.XenonSupply.com

check it out, its what i used to install my aftermarket HID low beams.

Heres the link

I dont have stock HID's so i dont know if the aftermarket wiring harnesses will be plug and plug, maybe someone can chime in with that info.

video shows you have to remove the air filter box to get access to the headlight covers, which is why Autozone had no idea how to access it.
Old 01-05-10, 12:26 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BounceNY
How long did u have the XenonDepot D4S bulbs in for?
About 1 1/2 years. I do not keep my headlights on during the day and I don't do too much night driving. So the amount of hours the bulbs have been used for isn't that much. I have the 6000k bulbs. Will report later on OEM D4S bulbs.
Old 01-05-10, 09:09 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Alright the XenonDepot D4S bulbs were the culprit. My OEM D4S bulbs work fine. I didn't think my HID's would die so soon though and without heavy use.

Anyone know of another company that matches the color of XenonDepot 6000k? I really liked the color output of these bulbs (and they match great with my 6000k fog kit) but they are bit expensive when other places have D4S bulbs for much cheaper.
Old 01-06-10, 07:11 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dclive
Costco gives me a 15% discount on all Lexus service
Please explain this? I'm a Costco member and have never heard of anything like this.
Old 01-15-10, 12:37 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

This just happen to me as well, driver side hid just goes out after 5 minutes. I just bought a oem bulb off ebay for 40 buck and need to install it myself. The DYI guide posted above sucks, the picture doesn't really help.
Old 01-15-10, 12:55 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

v-leds is selling a pair of HID bulbs for 50 dollars. you guys should try it out, ive had them in for about 2 months now and no problems (knock on wood)
Old 01-15-10, 06:34 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by edgeucated
v-leds is selling a pair of HID bulbs for 50 dollars. you guys should try it out, ive had them in for about 2 months now and no problems (knock on wood)
Yup that's cheap, I'll pick some up soon, what's the warranty?

Lexus are expensive, i'm used to paying 4 dollar per regular bulb. I guess you have to pay to play.
Old 02-12-11, 08:15 PM
DJSIs350
Driver School Candidate

Default passenger side light out - 2006 lexus is350

Originally Posted by dclive
What's done is done - I didn't want to wait a few days for a bulb and possibly get a ticket for having a headlight out, plus have the risk of not getting the right part, breaking something, or having a larger problem if it was more than just the bulb. I went to another Lexus dealership (where the price was cheaper!) and saved about $40 from the first Lexus dealer's quote - $260 list, $220 or so after 15% discount. Robbery, but at least it's fixed.
So what was the problem according to lexus/ what did the dealership do to fix the problem?

My passenger side low beam is doing the same thing, bought the car used, 2006 38k miles 2 weeks ago, went thru a touch-free car wash and i dont think its a coincidence the light goes out and and the jet of water i drove over to rinse the car's undercarriage. Anyway my bulb could jsut be loose? I suppose I'll switch bulbs and to diagnose... im not to pressed on the looks, where is the cheapest most reliable place to buy new OEM bulb? $175 @ autozone...
Old 02-13-11, 01:32 AM
DzdIS
Driver School Candidate

My 06 had the same thing occur a few weeks ago. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-help-plz.html). My passenger lights would go on for 1 sec and turn off. I swapped the bulbs and found that the issue was in fact the bulbs. Got me some Garax 6000K's for replacement ~$95CAD shipped. So far no problems and very happy with them, in fact, i would replace these from OEM even if there was no issue ...nice crystal white color, hard to tell when looking visually at the bulbs from outside, however while driving at night on the dark roads you can see the slightest hint of blue.

Honestly, I gave it a shot at first trying to get to the lights without a DIY, and couldnt do it cuz the lower box (passenger side) and washer fluid tube (driver side) was in the way, but looked at these DIY guides on the forum and it helped ALOT, saved me some $$. It's reallllyyy simple...If you were in my area i would help do it for you .... but I can understand if you feel it is a hassle or confusing to replace...... just go to the dealer if you don't care to spend the $ or time.
Old 02-14-11, 04:05 AM
DJSIs350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DzdIS
My 06 had the same thing occur a few weeks ago. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-help-plz.html). My passenger lights would go on for 1 sec and turn off. I swapped the bulbs and found that the issue was in fact the bulbs. Got me some Garax 6000K's for replacement ~$95CAD shipped. So far no problems and very happy with them, in fact, i would replace these from OEM even if there was no issue ...nice crystal white color, hard to tell when looking visually at the bulbs from outside, however while driving at night on the dark roads you can see the slightest hint of blue.

Honestly, I gave it a shot at first trying to get to the lights without a DIY, and couldnt do it cuz the lower box (passenger side) and washer fluid tube (driver side) was in the way, but looked at these DIY guides on the forum and it helped ALOT, saved me some $$. It's reallllyyy simple...If you were in my area i would help do it for you .... but I can understand if you feel it is a hassle or confusing to replace...... just go to the dealer if you don't care to spend the $ or time.
I swapped bulbs from driver side to passenger side... its def. The bulb. I ordered 6000k from xenonsupply.com hopefully they'll be here soon and ill replace.

This thread was a HUGE help. Hands down very easy to do, no need for dealer to intervene imo.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Driver's side low-beam headlight died (kinda)