IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

To buy or not to buy......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 06:58 AM
07SGM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy......

I really like the AVS visors. I used the search and found a couple posts from awhile ago and it seems like most people say buy JDM. I just can not justify paying $400 (versus $112 shipped) for something just because it has the Lexus name on it. Is there really that big a difference in quality or no? Just wondering what everyone's opinion is.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-09, 07:00 AM
rukkus2IS
Lead Lap

The JDM visor does look good but it's def not worth $400.
Old 10-09-09, 07:30 AM
ijulmimi
Lead Lap

I agree, same goes with the AVS visors. But for me I have to get JDM visors, even though I would love to get the AVS visors but they don't provide shippin to my country. Emailed them but no reply...yet. :/
Old 10-09-09, 08:35 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to have JDM visors on my old IS350. IMO, it flows much better than the AVS ones. I agree it is expensive but as far as aesthetic goes, JDM visors are the way to go. I'm planning to get the JDM ones for my new car again.

Here's a pic of my old car with the JDM visor.

Here's a pic of AVS visor on one of the member's car. I hope he doesn't mind me using the pic.

Terrance
Old 10-09-09, 09:11 AM
Thr3350
Pole Position

True, the JDM ones flow much better IMO. It's not just because they're Lexus. But they are pricey so if you like the AVS visors, go for it
Old 10-09-09, 10:07 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

I would also have to agree with what everyone else has said. Even though the AVS ones are about 1/4 the price, they don't flow with the lines of the IS as nicely as the JDM ones. As you can see from the pictures T-Rex06 put up, you can see the differences between the two.

I would say buy whatever you like or can afford. In the end, it doesn't really matter what we say because you're the one thats going to be driving the car.
Old 10-09-09, 11:02 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

they both look the same to me
Old 10-09-09, 11:07 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AVS are much bigger so it looks off. It may be cheaper but you get what you pay for IMO.
Old 10-09-09, 01:46 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

i really cant tell the difference by the pictures
Old 10-09-09, 02:07 PM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

i cant tell either
Old 10-09-09, 02:57 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The talk of 'price' always seems to amaze me here on CL... if we were soooo concerned on price we wouldnt have bought a Lexus now would we? (but this is a different topic for another thread)

Heres my take on JDM vs AVS, yes the JDM cost more BUT you wont be disappointed at all. The AVS cost less and you wont be disappointed either... BUT... the JDM does look better AND since your on the east coast having something thats true JDM im sure will give you extra brownie points with your friends Just as you wouldnt buy your gf/wife a fake gucci why shouldn't you have the real deals too?
Old 10-09-09, 03:29 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

I had the AVS visors first then sold them and bought the JDM ones personally i used to say the same thing but after seeing the JDM ones in person no going back. The AVS visors i noticed with heat start to bend toward the window. JDM ones overall are built much better Keep saving some $$$ and hit up Nigel for the visors.
Old 10-09-09, 03:36 PM
kbkura
Driver

Honestly, no one but you, people on CL, and JDM/car enthusiasts are gonna know the difference. I asked one of my friends what he thought of the JDM ones when we happened across someone else's car (I don't know who that person is!) and he went on to tell me he thought they made the car looked cheap. I, of course, disagree; but that just goes to show you that most people won't recognize that minor of a difference.

I agree, the JDM looks nicer since it's slimmer, but I also agree that it doesn't seem worth the cost difference. Personally, I'd probably hop on the save-my-money-for-another-mod bandwagon and buy the AVS visors. 600rr05, that sucks that they started bending like that. Did anyone else have that problem?
Old 10-09-09, 08:11 PM
07SGM
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
The talk of 'price' always seems to amaze me here on CL... if we were soooo concerned on price we wouldnt have bought a Lexus now would we? (but this is a different topic for another thread)

Heres my take on JDM vs AVS, yes the JDM cost more BUT you wont be disappointed at all. The AVS cost less and you wont be disappointed either... BUT... the JDM does look better AND since your on the east coast having something thats true JDM im sure will give you extra brownie points with your friends Just as you wouldnt buy your gf/wife a fake gucci why shouldn't you have the real deals too?

I bought a Lexus because it was the best deal for the money. Don't regret it one bit. Considering I'm only 22, I think I'm doing pretty good. Oh and I don't have a gf/wife. I have a boyfriend, I'm a girl and def straight. Nice guess though.

Originally Posted by 600rr05
I had the AVS visors first then sold them and bought the JDM ones personally i used to say the same thing but after seeing the JDM ones in person no going back. The AVS visors i noticed with heat start to bend toward the window. JDM ones overall are built much better Keep saving some $$$ and hit up Nigel for the visors.

it seems like everyone agrees that the JDM ones are nicer. My bf was looking at the difference ( I personally don't notice it that much) and thinks they are alot nicer looking. So I guess I gotta save up for them!
Old 10-09-09, 09:45 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Good decision to save up for the JDM visors. You won't regret it nor will you be disappointed.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy......