IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I want to add oil need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 09:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Synthetic oil is composed of molecules both smaller and of uniform size and weigh, where-as regular oil is composed of different sized molecules which are larger and of different weights. Following the basic laws of physics, an unhomogenized blend of synthetic and regular oil will see the synthetic seperating from the regular and sitting on top. If you do not comprehend this then you are a lost cause.
Personal insults are unnecessary. Besides, he's right and you're wrong. See Kurtz's links above.

You can mix conventional and synthetic. You can mix different weights. You can mix different brands. None of these things will result in disaster. It's not the ideal thing to do, but it won't hurt anything.
Old 10-13-09, 09:22 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will not result in disaster, no, but it is utterly pointless and a waste of money to do so. As stated in the links posted, the correct ratio of synthetic and regular, in order to allow constant homogenous use of both oils and get the best of both worlds, is 'proprietary' information.

Last edited by FisforFast; 10-13-09 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-13-09, 09:38 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It will not result in disaster, no, but it is utterly pointless and a waste of money to do so. As stated in the links posted, the correct ratio of synthetic and regular, in order to allow constant homogenous use of both oils and get the best of both worlds, is 'proprietary' information.
Except the links didn't state that. There's no such thing as a "correct" ratio since the two things are 100% compatible in ANY ratio.

They stated two salient things:

1) You're completely wrong when you stated you shouldn't mix the two, and the links clarified they're completely intermixable.

2) One of the links mentioned that the particular blend that company used was proprietary, as are the blends of every company; A fact having no relevance at all to the topic at hand...and at no point did they claim theirs was the only mixture that was "correct" it's just the blend they use. Your continued misuse of the phrase "homogenous" continues to be nonsensical in this context as well.
Old 10-13-09, 09:47 AM
aron7awol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that it is a waste to blend them to save money, but the OP was simply asking if it was okay for him to top his conventional fill with synthetic. The answer is an unequivocal yes.

In this case, I take the word "proprietary" to mean, "We'd rather not disclose that our blend only contains 20-30% synthetic and you are wasting your money buying this oil." Similar to how dietary supplement companies have 5000mg of a strategically named "proprietary blend" containing 10mg of some active ingredient and 4990mg of inert filler. It allows them to list the ingredients but not the actual amounts of each.

Off-topic: I'm jealous of your IS-F. Congratulations on owning that fantastic ride.
Old 10-13-09, 02:59 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DVac3
the car has only 8k miles on it so it has its oil from Lexus no oil change yet, so can I add some mobile synthetic 5W 30

You are 3K miles past due from your 1st FREE oil change...

Joe Z
Old 10-13-09, 08:02 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Source?

Because the people who make oil say you're wrong too.

Mobil-
https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...entionals.aspx

Shell-
http://www.imakenews.com/rotella/e_a....cfm?x=b11,0,w

And so on...

Yup, he sure should change his oil. But if topping off there's no reason he can't mix.
As a certified ASE Master technician, and forensic investigator I could NOT agree MORE!! All of the major oil manufactures, I repeat ALL say that there is NO issue with mixing their oils with non synthetics oils. As a matter of fact I have done this myself, and have NEVER had an issue, and would challenge anybody whom says they had.