IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I want to add oil need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 12:17 PM
DVac3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to add oil need help

So my oil is a little low and I bought synthetic 5W 30, can I use synthetic or should I get something else
Old 10-11-09, 01:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Synthetic is fine
Old 10-11-09, 01:19 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Synthetic ONLY! $26 for 5 quarts of MOBIL 1 Fully synthetic extended performance at walmart!
Old 10-11-09, 01:54 PM
DVac3
Pole Position

the car has only 8k miles on it so it has its oil from Lexus no oil change yet, so can I add some mobile synthetic 5W 30
Old 10-11-09, 03:52 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

If its oil from lexus then its probably not synthetic. Don't mix them.
Old 10-11-09, 04:09 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ what he said .
Old 10-11-09, 04:11 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by DVac3
the car has only 8k miles on it so it has its oil from Lexus no oil change yet, so can I add some mobile synthetic 5W 30
You should probably go to the dealership and tell them that your oil is low... if something happens and it's not been noted in the service records, you're in trouble warranty-wise.
Old 10-12-09, 05:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350ty
If its oil from lexus then its probably not synthetic. Don't mix them.
Why?

Not only are synthetic and non-synthetic fully compatible, they sell it that way

What do you think synthetic blends are?

(note: you lose nearly all the benefits of using purely synthetic oil when you mix the two, but there's no problem adding some syn to a fill of regular oil if it's what you have available)
Old 10-12-09, 10:29 AM
jimnordon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVac3
I'd say it's time for an oil change. How many miles are you planning on going b4 changing your oil. 8k on dino oil is pushing it, especally on the initial oil. On a new motor, I like to change around 2k mi. to get any leftovers from assembly.
Old 10-12-09, 10:37 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

They sell it as a blend, a homogenous mix, not the synthetic just sitting on top of the dino ad vitam eternam.
Old 10-12-09, 12:01 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimnordon
I'd say it's time for an oil change. How many miles are you planning on going b4 changing your oil. 8k on dino oil is pushing it, especally on the initial oil. On a new motor, I like to change around 2k mi. to get any leftovers from assembly.
Yeah, why have you not had an oil change yet? Is your oil light on? Am I missing something? Shouldn't the dash be flashing at you telling you it's time for an oil change?
Old 10-12-09, 12:56 PM
aron7awol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FisforFast
They sell it as a blend, a homogenous mix, not the synthetic just sitting on top of the dino ad vitam eternam.
It is fine to mix the two. Using terms like homogenous and latin phrases doesn't make what you're saying any less wrong. That's like saying if you pour tap water into bottled water, the tap water will sit on top.

I wouldn't mix them to save money. I use solely synthetic. But if you're topping off and you already have the synthetic, go for it.
Old 10-12-09, 01:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Why?

Not only are synthetic and non-synthetic fully compatible, they sell it that way

What do you think synthetic blends are?

(note: you lose nearly all the benefits of using purely synthetic oil when you mix the two, but there's no problem adding some syn to a fill of regular oil if it's what you have available)
Not only should you not mix dino and synthetic, but you should also not mix different brands. The additive packages each manufacturer uses are different, and they may not interact properly with each.

The OP is overdue for an oil change anyway. Hw should just have it changed, or change it himself.

Lou
Old 10-12-09, 02:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Not only should you not mix dino and synthetic, but you should also not mix different brands. The additive packages each manufacturer uses are different, and they may not interact properly with each.
Source?

Because the people who make oil say you're wrong too.

Mobil-
https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...entionals.aspx

Yes, synthetic oils can be blended with conventional oils.
Shell-
http://www.imakenews.com/rotella/e_a....cfm?x=b11,0,w
Will I Harm My Engine By Mixing Synthetic Oil and Mineral Oil?

No, you will not. This is an all too common misconception, and one with no scientific data to support it.
And so on...

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
The OP is overdue for an oil change anyway. Hw should just have it changed, or change it himself.

Lou
Yup, he sure should change his oil. But if topping off there's no reason he can't mix.
Old 10-12-09, 07:14 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by aron7awol
It is fine to mix the two. Using terms like homogenous and latin phrases doesn't make what you're saying any less wrong. That's like saying if you pour tap water into bottled water, the tap water will sit on top.

I wouldn't mix them to save money. I use solely synthetic. But if you're topping off and you already have the synthetic, go for it.
Synthetic oil is composed of molecules both smaller and of uniform size and weigh, where-as regular oil is composed of different sized molecules which are larger and of different weights. Following the basic laws of physics, an unhomogenized blend of synthetic and regular oil will see the synthetic seperating from the regular and sitting on top. If you do not comprehend this then you are a lost cause.

Quick Reply: I want to add oil need help