IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How much was your 60k mi service?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-09, 06:36 AM
nch2oracer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much was your 60k mi service?

I just dropped my 06 IS250 off at the lexus dealer in Durham, NC. I was quoted $760 for the service. It seems rediculously high. What did other people pay?

Another question. Why did my original brakes last 40K mi and now it seems I need some sort of brake service every 7 or 8k miles? Did these things come with defective brakes?

This car has cost me so much money in service over the past year that I'm ready to sell it. If I'm going to pay this much for maintenance, I'd rather have an M series BMW or Porsche. I bought the IS250 because I thought it might be somewhat economical. I was mistaken.
Old 10-19-09, 07:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nch2oracer
I just dropped my 06 IS250 off at the lexus dealer in Durham, NC. I was quoted $760 for the service. It seems rediculously high. What did other people pay?

Another question. Why did my original brakes last 40K mi and now it seems I need some sort of brake service every 7 or 8k miles? Did these things come with defective brakes?

This car has cost me so much money in service over the past year that I'm ready to sell it. If I'm going to pay this much for maintenance, I'd rather have an M series BMW or Porsche. I bought the IS250 because I thought it might be somewhat economical. I was mistaken.
Your first mistake was every asking for the "X miles" service.

Just ask for the actual work you need done.

For example- "10k service" is $150. An oil change is $50. The exact same work is done for both, they'll just list a bunch of "inspections" that they do anytime they have your car for free to justify the higher price listed for the "10k service" which is simply an oil change.

Once they hear "I want the X miles service" that's code to them for "This guy knows nothing about his car, we can jack the price up"

At 60k you would need an oil change, a brake fluid change, and a spark plug change. Which should add up to a LOT less than $760.

(you also need air/cabin filter changes, but you should be doing those yourself as they take 5 minutes each and are cheap if done yourself).

You don't say exactly _what_ they're supposedly doing to your brakes, but there's no reason you should need any sort of service on them nearly as often as you're describing.

What the car -actually- needs in its service life is pretty minor:

Every 5k: Oil change (unless you go synthetic and to longer change intervals)

Every 15k: cabin/air filter changes- do yourself.

Every 30k: brake fluid change

Every 60k: spark plugs

Every 100k: coolant

That's it.

Brake pads, rotors, tires, wiper inserts, and other wear parts will be replaced as they wear out, but none should happen significantly more often than any comparable vehicle.
Old 10-19-09, 07:36 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Your service manual tells you that service needs to be done at what mileage. You first mistake was taking the car to Lexus for maintenance.
Old 10-19-09, 07:52 AM
nch2oracer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info.

From now on, I won't be taking my car to Lexus for service. With previous vehicles, I rarely took my car to the dealer for service. However, after living in this area, I do not trust the quality of work done at other automobile service facilities. Not to mention the poor customer service, inconvenience, shady service techs trying to replace parts that don't need replacing, etc.... So, I've sort of been at the mercy of the Lexus service dept. since I bought this car.
Old 10-19-09, 08:15 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nch2oracer
From now on, I won't be taking my car to Lexus for service.
Find a reliable Toyota Dealer or a shop that specializes in Toyota's, and tell them exactly what you want done.

The only other time i'll return to the Lexus dealer is so they can fix my AFS, and for them to do several TSIB's that they didn't want to perform when i had a new ECU installed.
Old 10-19-09, 09:47 AM
Madsci625
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Your first mistake was every asking for the "X miles" service.

Just ask for the actual work you need done.

For example- "10k service" is $150. An oil change is $50. The exact same work is done for both, they'll just list a bunch of "inspections" that they do anytime they have your car for free to justify the higher price listed for the "10k service" which is simply an oil change.

Once they hear "I want the X miles service" that's code to them for "This guy knows nothing about his car, we can jack the price up"

At 60k you would need an oil change, a brake fluid change, and a spark plug change. Which should add up to a LOT less than $760.

(you also need air/cabin filter changes, but you should be doing those yourself as they take 5 minutes each and are cheap if done yourself).

You don't say exactly _what_ they're supposedly doing to your brakes, but there's no reason you should need any sort of service on them nearly as often as you're describing.

What the car -actually- needs in its service life is pretty minor:

Every 5k: Oil change (unless you go synthetic and to longer change intervals)

Every 15k: cabin/air filter changes- do yourself.

Every 30k: brake fluid change

Every 60k: spark plugs

Every 100k: coolant

That's it.

Brake pads, rotors, tires, wiper inserts, and other wear parts will be replaced as they wear out, but none should happen significantly more often than any comparable vehicle.
You're missing differential oil and auto-trans fluid somewhere in there. Usually diff fluid is 15-30kmiles and trans fluid is 60k (don't know what Lexus recommends for the 2IS, haven't looked yet). Personally I think 100k is way too long for a coolant flush. I wouldn't go more than 20k or 30k at the most. Is that what Lexus says or are you just making **** up? It's easy enough to do yourself, just make sure to use Toyota Red coolant ( I assume that's what they put in the Lexus' also)

Also, I haven't looked into it yet but I'm assuming we have timing chains and not timing belts (IS350?)? If they are belts, then that should be replaced every 60k along with the accessory belt and water pump since you are already in there.
Old 10-19-09, 11:53 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Madsci625
You're missing differential oil and auto-trans fluid somewhere in there. Usually diff fluid is 15-30kmiles and trans fluid is 60k (don't know what Lexus recommends for the 2IS, haven't looked yet).

How bout never?

Because if you'd looked before posting you'd have found those are the intervals for changing either on the automatic transmission 2IS. The only thing you ever do with either, by the book, is check for leaks.

In fact the manual goes out of its way to explain it's not -possible- to change the transmission fluid, it's a sealed unit. There's a 9 or 10 page thread on exactly that if you'd care to search for it, with diagrams and charts from TIS all about it.

But speaking of stuff you should have looked up before posting-

Personally I think 100k is way too long for a coolant flush. I wouldn't go more than 20k or 30k at the most. Is that what Lexus says or are you just making **** up? It's easy enough to do yourself, just make sure to use Toyota Red coolant ( I assume that's what they put in the Lexus' also)
100k is what Lexus says. Because these cars use the extra-long-life coolant rated for 100k miles of use.

Also, I haven't looked into it yet but I'm assuming we have timing chains and not timing belts (IS350?)? If they are belts, then that should be replaced every 60k along with the accessory belt and water pump since you are already in there.
Timing chains, you don't replace them.
Old 10-19-09, 12:15 PM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Personally I think 100k is way too long for a coolant flush. I wouldn't go more than 20k or 30k at the most. Is that what Lexus says or are you just making **** up? It's easy enough to do yourself, just make sure to use Toyota Red coolant ( I assume that's what they put in the Lexus' also)
I guess its up to you if you want to change your coolant that's rated for 100k every 20k or 30k..
Old 10-19-09, 12:18 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

i have an awd.... what about the rear and center diff?
Old 10-19-09, 12:49 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by intrinsic
i have an awd.... what about the rear and center diff?
Since I appear to be the only one who got an owners manual with his car

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/Sedans.pdf

That's the scheduled maintenance (it's for '10, but no changes that I note from earlier ISx50 models)

Also- for those who really didn't get a manual with the car, register as an owner at lexus.com and Lexus will provide you a new one, free.

Anyway- per the manual, you don't ever change the diff oil on the ISx50, you just check to insure none leaked out.

The only sedan you do any diff changes on, ever, is the IS-F, every 60k miles... (and that one I suspect is a change for 2010 since it's the first year they put a real LSD in the car, but it only applies to the IS-F)
Old 11-02-09, 07:44 PM
Doco21
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured since it was asked here already. I got quoted about $550 for oil change, spark plug change and brake system flush. is this a bit high?
Old 11-03-09, 12:04 AM
Wisdom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm due for a 60k myself
Old 11-03-09, 05:55 AM
Madsci625
Driver

Originally Posted by Doco21
I figured since it was asked here already. I got quoted about $550 for oil change, spark plug change and brake system flush. is this a bit high?
Rip off. Personally, I would do all of that myself...it's all pretty easy to do. You're looking at $45 for oil and filter, about $10 in brake fluid, and another $35-40 in spark plugs (maybe more if you buy really expensive ones) so maybe up to $100 in parts. You could probably go to any regular mom and pop shop or a Pep boys and get this all done for under $200 I would imagine. I would call around.
Old 11-03-09, 06:43 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Spark plugs??? seriously? They are platinum plugs rated for at least 100k miles.

I have over 90k miles on my 06' 250 MT. My 60k service was oil change, coolant change, I don't remember if my manual tranny/clutch fluid was part of it but I asked for it. $246

I changed the air/AC filters for $27 from irontoad.com and 5 minutes of my time.

Brake fluid was changed when they did the TSB for brake dust and I got new pads. They did a free inspection at 85k miles and found nothing except my tires were about bald. Original quote for 60k mile maintenance was $760 but the mechanic said usually it's done on a 5-6 year old car, not a 2 year old one and I should go by the age of the car, not the highway miles.
Old 11-03-09, 07:09 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sailing217
Spark plugs??? seriously? They are platinum plugs rated for at least 100k miles.
No, they're iridium plugs, rated for 60,000 miles in the direct injection application we have in our cars.

My 60k service was oil change, coolant change
Your coolant on the other hand was rated for 100,000 miles.

Brake fluid was changed when they did the TSB for brake dust and I got new pads.
I assume you mean you paid to have it done at this time, since one procedure (the TSB) has nothing to do with the other... it should still be done every 2 yrs/30k miles though.

Quick Reply: How much was your 60k mi service?