IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav dimming problem - I think???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 06:25 AM
bones714
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav dimming problem - I think???

Hey guys, I have an 06 and while driving to work today I noticed my Nav screen was at full brightness. I usually have it dimmed. As I was driving - once or twice the screen flickered and dimmed to how I usually have it set but for only a second and then it went back to full brightness. I've never had this problem or at least I never noticed. I turned the dimmer **** all the way to the left and only my dash lights dimmed not the Nav screen. I know that if the **** is turned all the way to the right and clicks the Nav screen will be at full brightness but the **** is turned all the way to the left. Also I haven't touch the settings for "Daylight" mode on the Nav itself so I have no idea why it's acting funny. I haven't been able to dim the Nav screen since. If anyone has any clue what the problem might be I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Old 10-22-09, 06:49 AM
Weezy$Baby
Driver

battery..............
Old 10-22-09, 09:04 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Isn't this normal when the headlights are on? When I drive in the cloudy day morning my nav and the whole dashboard dim and goes back to bright depending on daylight brightness. It's just auto brightness adjustment kind of like iPhone screen.
Old 10-22-09, 10:19 AM
bones714
Driver School Candidate

dojoman, thanks for the response. You know I was hoping this could be the issue, it's just that I never seemed to notice it before (thats' why I said "I think???) and because I seen it dim for a second and then brighten up and stay bright. I haven't messed with the brightness in weeks but I thought you could set the brightness of the Nav screen anytime (dim it)? Or is that only for night driving?

Thanks again
Old 10-22-09, 11:00 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bones714
dojoman, thanks for the response. You know I was hoping this could be the issue, it's just that I never seemed to notice it before (thats' why I said "I think???) and because I seen it dim for a second and then brighten up and stay bright. I haven't messed with the brightness in weeks but I thought you could set the brightness of the Nav screen anytime (dim it)? Or is that only for night driving?

Thanks again
Correct. You cannot dim the Nav screen with the ****, only night screen. I think the light sensor on the dash is very sensitive, when I drive under freeway overpass the screen dims for a few seconds and comes back just like you said. It seems like a malfunction but it's normal I think.
Old 10-22-09, 08:00 PM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

I think It does that for a bit when its real cold and your car is warming up.
Old 10-22-09, 09:42 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

if you have it clicked fully to the right for full brightness. it will never go into dark mode. but if your **** is in a dimming position for night mode while driving in the day time.. there's a sensor on your dashboard which will put your car in the dimming night mode position if you drive under a bridge or something where it casts a shadow making the sensor to believe it's dark out and puts it into night mode until you're back out in the daylight the sensor will go back to full brightness daytime mode.