IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best iPod solution for Non Nav / Non ML?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 11:27 AM
FlipZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best iPod solution for Non Nav / Non ML?

I've tried doing some searching on the forums to see what the best solution might be for me, but I haven't really been able to find one since the majority of people that get the Vaistech kit seem to have Nav units.

I was wondering, for those of you that don't have Nav units, what the best thing is to get so that I can control my iPod through my steering wheel.

Also, do these kits REQUIRE that you have all of your music in playlists? I always just stick my music on shuffle in the car...

Thanks!
Old 10-22-09, 12:06 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

To be honest. I don't have steer wheel control and I just use my Aux cable to listen to my music through the iTouch. It works perfectly. Just you gotta be more careful.
Old 10-22-09, 04:43 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't have nav in my IS and used to use the AUX cable method but got really annoyed trying to change songs off my ipod. I eventually went with the VAIS integration kit and couldn't be happier. Nothing like being able to quickly change tracks/albums without having to fumble around in ur armrest.

Yes everything will be organized as playlists.... you can turn random mode on/off with a touch of a button on the stock radio.
Old 10-22-09, 05:02 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get an aux cable and make a playlist!
Old 10-22-09, 05:09 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vaistech. Nuff said.
Old 10-22-09, 05:09 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

If you're gonna go with the AUX route i highly suggest getting something with a dock connect like the Ram din so you get better sound with fixed volume. That way u can control volume via your stereo volume control. Otherwise u'll end up having to turn your ipod volume all the way up and end up draining the battery faster...

http://www.sik.com/ram_din.php
Old 10-23-09, 04:41 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

VAIS has integration kits that work fine on cars without NAV and ML. Check the application guide on their site.

For connecting without an integration kit, I agree with XprincoX about using an aux cable that connects to the dock connector instead of the headphone jack. The sound quality is noticeably better, as it bypasses the headphone amp entirely. If you don't want to spend the money for the ram din, there are many ebay sellers with a cheap ( < $5 shipped ) alternatives like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/iPod-Dock-Connec...#ht_3015wt_939
Old 10-23-09, 05:47 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RamDin. It doesn't work on newer iPods/iPhone/Touch. Those are chipped so you should buy a dock to 3.5 mm cable that is chipped or Apple approved. Look for "made for iPod/iPhone" logo. I have the Apple made A/V cable set with USB and it works on all iThings. I had it mod from RCA to 3.5 mm by Monster Cables.
Old 10-23-09, 02:46 PM
LexusRuss
Pole Position

Help me out here guys becuase, it sounds like your saying I can listen to my ipod in my car for less than 20 bucks.

I have an 07, no Nav. If I buy the Ipod/ebay little gadget and I get an aux cable, where's the jack to plug it in? I'm encourage by what I'm reading...have I really been this close all along?
Old 10-23-09, 03:00 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusRuss
Help me out here guys becuase, it sounds like your saying I can listen to my ipod in my car for less than 20 bucks.

I have an 07, no Nav. If I buy the Ipod/ebay little gadget and I get an aux cable, where's the jack to plug it in? I'm encourage by what I'm reading...have I really been this close all along?
This has been discussed many times in a couple threads...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...mp3-input.html

If you're looking to get that Ram Din cable yes it'll work... the AUX plug is in the armrest.
Old 10-23-09, 10:38 PM
FlipZ
Rookie

Cool

Thanks everyone.

I've been using the Aux cable ever since I bought my car in 06/07... I'm just getting tired of the cables always breaking since I like to be able to change music, so I have the cable sticking out the arm rest while it's shut.

Listening to music while the cable is broken is REALLY annoying... Having to buy cables every few months is also annoying...

Another thing, is that here in BC, a new law is getting implemented in 2010 restricting a lot of the different things a driver is legally allowed to do while behind the wheel... Playing around with an iPod can end up being a $167 fine

With the Vaistech solution, can I just have my iPod on Shuffle? Or does it HAVE to be in playlists? Do the song names appear at all in the little display?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-09, 11:04 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FlipZ
Cool

Thanks everyone.

I've been using the Aux cable ever since I bought my car in 06/07... I'm just getting tired of the cables always breaking since I like to be able to change music, so I have the cable sticking out the arm rest while it's shut.

Listening to music while the cable is broken is REALLY annoying... Having to buy cables every few months is also annoying...

Another thing, is that here in BC, a new law is getting implemented in 2010 restricting a lot of the different things a driver is legally allowed to do while behind the wheel... Playing around with an iPod can end up being a $167 fine

With the Vaistech solution, can I just have my iPod on Shuffle? Or does it HAVE to be in playlists? Do the song names appear at all in the little display?

Thanks!
Yes you can select random "shuffle" mode by pressing a button on your radio. Or you can play directly, or repeat tracks off your playlist.