IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Am I alone on this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 06:00 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys would complain if you were beaten with a brand new stick.
Old 10-25-09, 06:15 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The only problem I have is the blind spots, even with nice and big sideview mirrors.

Koz
Old 10-25-09, 07:48 AM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
You guys would complain if you were beaten with a brand new stick.
lololol
Old 10-25-09, 08:47 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree that the A pillars are a problem. The ISxxx has moreblnd spots that my new Honda Civic.

Back to the pedals. From my seated position the pedals seems to be designed to be used with both feet. The brake pedal lines up comfortably with the left foot and the gas pedal lines up with the right. Maybe it is designed with a racer in mind. Check it out yourself and see if you agree with me on where your foot lines up.

Looks like I need to learn to drive with both feet.
Old 10-25-09, 09:16 AM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lam N 002
u must have a lot of time on your hands to be posting that
lolll damnnnn
Old 10-25-09, 10:11 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I have to agree that the A pillars are a problem. The ISxxx has moreblnd spots that my new Honda Civic.

Back to the pedals. From my seated position the pedals seems to be designed to be used with both feet. The brake pedal lines up comfortably with the left foot and the gas pedal lines up with the right. Maybe it is designed with a racer in mind. Check it out yourself and see if you agree with me on where your foot lines up.

Looks like I need to learn to drive with both feet.
The A,B,C pillars are blind spots on the IS. Terrible design.

I have no problems with the pedal. I think it is all in the seating. Might want to tweak with that. Trial and error.
Old 10-25-09, 03:26 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only the to get used to was that my foot rummed on the carpet next to the gast pedal, size 12 shoes also. but imo i like my car enough to not complain and get used to the way things are. just like how people get a ferrari or lambo and complain about trunk space
Old 10-25-09, 03:58 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah those pillars suck! Our windshields are straight tiny, my buddy with an 02' Toyota MR-S once said that the 2IS windshield is smaller than his! lol
Old 10-25-09, 07:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Big A pillars are there to support the side airbags deploying from them. Given a choice, I wouldn't have them, but the government says I'm safer with them there. I'll be happy to argue that with them when the airbags put me in a wheelchair. I'll sue Joan Claybrook personally.

AFA the foot positioning - you really need to experiment with different positions. I've tried a few different ones to eliminate this exact pain. The best thing I did was raise the front of the seat to better support underneath my thighs. That made a HUGE difference especially on trips over 200 miles.
Old 10-26-09, 12:57 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i guess having big feet is good for something. the main issue i have is the door handle sticks out a bit much and rubs the side of my left knee. plus i hate how the bottom seat cushion is very short and has no adjustment for length, like toyota decided that everyone driving the car would be under 5'5.
Old 10-27-09, 10:29 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AM1
i guess having big feet is good for something. the main issue i have is the door handle sticks out a bit much and rubs the side of my left knee. plus i hate how the bottom seat cushion is very short and has no adjustment for length, like toyota decided that everyone driving the car would be under 5'5.
+1 on the bottom seat cushion.

I hate the low roofline. Everytime i do my hair it keeps hitting the roof.
Old 10-27-09, 11:10 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
In order the place my foot flat on the entire brake pedal, my leg is turned left uncomfortably far. I tend to place my foot on the edge of the brake pedal closest to the gas pedal.
I suppose this is why I don't have an issue with it, as I don't try to have my foot cover the entire pedal. I typically have my heel planted between the two pedals, and depress the righter-edge of the brake, since I tend to coast more, while pivoting back and forth to the throttle. I can see where it would be an issue for others, though, depending on a few factors mentioned.

If I had to critique the cars ergonomics, I think the further mirror adjustment buttons, the switches behind the wheel (traction/throttle sensitivity), and central cup holders, for example, could be better. The a-pillar is an a-pillar to me...always there when you don't want it to be.
Old 10-27-09, 03:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I suppose this is why I don't have an issue with it, as I don't try to have my foot cover the entire pedal. I typically have my heel planted between the two pedals, and depress the righter-edge of the brake, since I tend to coast more, while pivoting back and forth to the throttle. I can see where it would be an issue for others, though, depending on a few factors mentioned.

If I had to critique the cars ergonomics, I think the further mirror adjustment buttons, the switches behind the wheel (traction/throttle sensitivity), and central cup holders, for example, could be better. The a-pillar is an a-pillar to me...always there when you don't want it to be.
One more - the position of the window switches is totally wrong. I've owned a 2IS since July 2006, and I still have to look down to be sure I'm not hitting the rear window instead of the front.
Old 10-28-09, 01:09 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I got a smaller brake pedal
Old 10-28-09, 09:04 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah the cup holder is in an awkward location. The driver window switches are too low. My left knee ends up resting against it. The rear window is too small and the trunk lid is too high. It makes parallel parking a nightmare without hitting the rims. If I had driven the car for a day instead of a short (fun) test drive, I may not have bought it.

Quick Reply: Am I alone on this?