IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Coming from an LS430...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 03:54 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Don't forget to use the PWR switch to the right of the steering wheel. There is Normal and PWR mode, it will wake up the transmission and make the throttle more responsive.
Definitely what he said. There have been times where I have been on the freeway and I've been accelerating and had to let off the gas, (because of a slow car) and then when I press the gas again (to pass them), I almost get some whiplash because it just takes off.

I just lowered my car on H&R springs and the handling feels more responsive. Only thing is that "cushy" feeling you felt in your LS430 will be a long and distant memory. There are some bumps on the Houston freeways that have made my IS350 dip so hard I almost got whiplash... then again I was going just a little faster than the speed limit. As for your other mods you've planned for it, good choice!

Like others have said, throw some coils/springs, good tires and sways on your car and it will handle beautifully. If the PPE headers come into production, that will be a good performance thing to put on there.

Remember: You are coming comfortable LS430 to a sport sedan. It won't be as comfortable, but there are other things that make up for it.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-09, 04:06 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are serious about this being a 10 year investment, I'd go with the IS hands down.

Not to hate on BMW at all. But long term, I'd take a Lexus over any german in the long haul. That being said, I'd also invest in an extended warranty. Lexus electronics are just as expensive as the next to fix out of warranty. Engine wise you SHOULD be good to go.

However, I'm sure a Maxima makes more FINANCIAL sense in a 10 year old depreciating investment.

Few things I don't like about my IS: Small back seat for full size adults (temporary 4 passenger usage at best), wish the back seats folded down some how to make the trunk more versatile (yes I know it would mess with stiffness or sound dampening but whatever..), fuel economy could be a LITTLE better(more due to driving style though)

Other than that, I love it.

Are you buying used or new? If brand new, I'd suggest checking out some 1-2 year old IS and 3 series and test driving them. Both cars will feel nice, fresh off the factory floor, but a year or 2 down the road, once the cars loose their initial "stiffness" you may change your mind.

Sure my IS has a few rattles etc, but nothing like a BMW would. I really wanted an M3 vert a few years ago, but I test drove about a dozen CPOed versions and they all rattled like CRAZY and drove like crap after about the 30k mark. Granted, those were convertibles so prone to it, but still. Just something to consider.

good luck
Old 11-02-09, 04:13 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go with the IS, you absolutely MUST get the Mark Levinson. Unless you are a SUPER audiophile. or want house thumping bass.

The IS isn't very mod friendly due to the integrated navigation or even the standard non navi dash climate controls. So if you think you care about high quality audio, pay for the upgrade now. Its must harder and more expensive to get better audio going aftermarket.

Sure it can be done, but be prepared to spend a lot of time on CL..... Its worth it for some, but not for many.

Its hard to notice ML during a test drive, but once you have it, you can easily notice the differences. Especially when you take your car in for service and they give you a non ML IS for a loaner.
Old 11-02-09, 06:11 PM
AKsIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. I absolutely love the audio from the ML in my LS430 (but the sub kinda died, so I get rattle on certain R&B songs). Also, the LS430 has some noticeable cabin rattle as well. Is that still an existing problem in the IS?

And I REALLY wish I could get the Mark Levinson option, but in SoCal, all of the IS350s (which is like, two or three per dealership) come with the same package bundle (Nav, premium plus, xenons with AFS, 18" wheels). I'm not really willing to wait 4 months on a special order either. If someone could find me an IS350 with sports package and nav/ML (new especially) I would love you. Seriously, I still think the ML in the LS430 is better than the Logic 7 in my dad's S550. I don't know why, it just sounds more....home theater-y. The Logic 7 is too....."dynamic" if you know what I mean.

Passenger leg room is definitely something I've taken into consideration, but I doubt I'll be driving a full car of people in my life. I don't think I'd want to either. Whenever I have a full car of people, I see little shoe scratches on the backs of the front seats and dirty floor mats by the end of the day T_T.

Quick opinion/logic based question. Shall I go for a Smokey Granite Mica or a Starfire Pearl? I'd wash the car about once a week. But the dust where I live (oddly enough, even though it's by the ocean) is killing me. Literally, within hours of washing my car(the LS430), I get dust on it. And wax doesn't help. T_T
Old 11-02-09, 06:33 PM
willi3ja
Rookie

Originally Posted by AKsIS350
Hello Club Lexus!

It has gotten me from A to B on many occasions, but now, as I move onto college and such within a year, I need a new car of my own.

And so that my parents don't have to yell at me anymore to get off the computer and to stop looking at cars online all the time.
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but being in college (not having a steady, full time, well paying job) you should probably keep the point A to B car until you graduate and get stabilized in the real world rather than dropping 35-40k on a depreciating asset.
Old 11-02-09, 09:25 PM
AKsIS350
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually getting it for less potentially thanks to certain connections I have and something called an introductory system or whatever. I'll also be paying off my parents for the car throughout college as well. Quite honestly I really enjoy my LS but it's slowly starting to come apart and my dad likes to cycle his cars every 5-10 years or so. Quite honestly, it's the ~13mpg (sometimes less) combined that's really hurting my wallet. On one full tank I get about 250 or so miles. We'll see. I definitely understand where you're coming from but the plans are pretty much in place now.
Old 11-02-09, 09:26 PM
ebb100z
Lead Lap

I suggest the Lexus IS350!
Old 11-03-09, 03:39 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

from a financial standpoint, if your wallet is hurting from spending on gas, it won't make any sense to get a new car. the money you'll be spending to pay for it is WAYYYYY more than the cost of gas, even if you were currently driving a hummer.

it's an ls430, it's not an a-b car, it's a luxury car. even paying for repairs on the car would make more financial sense than paying for a new car, or even a used 2is. be a little pragmatic.

if you're that worried about gas money, walk, bike, take the bus (you're on a college campus). don't buy a 30k-40k car to solve your money problem, because it'll just make it worse
Old 11-03-09, 05:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ebb100z
I suggest the Lexus IS350!
Yes, works for me.
Old 11-03-09, 07:24 PM
AKsIS350
Driver School Candidate

Okay well. I didn't mean it in terms of I'm going bankrupt. I'm well in the green. But I'm just saying, for one person, a huge car as such seems a bit impractical, and the amount of gas it costs for that one car alone seems impractical as well. It's comparing $60 for a tank to $40 for a tank. As little as it is, I think that $20 can go a long way, whether it be for dinner or saving up for mods. So to clarify, financially, I am fine. I can afford the car, and the gas. The LS is just too much of a gas guzzler for my own single-person use. I swear, I think I was excited for about two minutes when I saw that my average mpg per tank went up to 13 today. I know where all of you are coming from in terms of me not needing a new car. It's just a switch. My dad and I both agreed on the choice we will be making.

On a side note, I went to the dealership today again. The test drive got delayed again, but we're getting some good quotes on pricing off of MSRP. As of now, the IS350 is finally on top, with the 328i out of the picture completely, and the C350 (which was momentarily in the picture) gone as well.
Old 11-03-09, 09:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AKsIS350
Okay well. I didn't mean it in terms of I'm going bankrupt. I'm well in the green. But I'm just saying, for one person, a huge car as such seems a bit impractical, and the amount of gas it costs for that one car alone seems impractical as well. It's comparing $60 for a tank to $40 for a tank. As little as it is, I think that $20 can go a long way, whether it be for dinner or saving up for mods. So to clarify, financially, I am fine. I can afford the car, and the gas. The LS is just too much of a gas guzzler for my own single-person use. I swear, I think I was excited for about two minutes when I saw that my average mpg per tank went up to 13 today. I know where all of you are coming from in terms of me not needing a new car. It's just a switch. My dad and I both agreed on the choice we will be making.

On a side note, I went to the dealership today again. The test drive got delayed again, but we're getting some good quotes on pricing off of MSRP. As of now, the IS350 is finally on top, with the 328i out of the picture completely, and the C350 (which was momentarily in the picture) gone as well.
Why was a test drive delayed (again)? That sounds odd as far as a dealership goes. Usually they want to woo you into a car by showing you how wonderful it drives, etc.
Also, you should never deal off of sticker. You should know the invoice price and bargain below it or slightly above it if the model is all new (which it is not) or it's a rare color (which doesn't happen much with the IS). This car has been out since the end of 2005 and should be going for under invoice. Go to Edmunds.com's Town Square and look up what people are paying for IS's in your local area.
BEST OF LUCK!
Old 11-08-09, 07:53 PM
AKsIS350
Driver School Candidate

Okay so I went out and finally test drove the IS today, and the occasions where the test drives were previously delayed were due to my own busy hours and such. SO. I started off my day test driving the IS350. What's sad is that the one that I was test driving was a starfire pearl that I was possibly going to get a fairly good deal on, and as soon as I took a look at it, the first thing that caught my eye was a big rock chip on the front chin. So the dealers said they would touch it up if I did buy it, but still, it irked me.

So on the drive I found the car to be more roomy than I expected. Rear seat space was actually quite good. What did end up bothering me was really how numb the steering in the car really felt. I've read the online reviews, and I really didn't think the car would be that numb during handling, but really, I practically received zero feedback from the wheel. Another thing I found strange was my feel of the pedal. When I pressed it, I could tell it was accelerating, clearly, but when I eased off, I couldn't tell if my foot was off the pedal or not. I'm really not sure how to describe that feeling. Still, I think the handling could be something I just need to get used to, and the pedal issue is probably cuz it's set up differently than that of most other cars I've driven. (Not really a billet pedal on the IS, it's the little..clutch-like..? pedal.) Acceleration was good, cabin noise was practically non-existent, and braking was really predictable.

So after the test drive, we talked to the dealer for a bit, considered some pricing, and then went off with my dad to look at some other cars with him. Right next door was a Mercedes Benz dealership, where we're quite familiar with the salesmen there. (Three of our other cars excluding mine are all Mercs bought from there). We decided to take a look at the C350 for some comparison. They had some great deals on the 09 models so we said why not. I have to say, the handing in the C was much better than that in the IS. I could get a general feel of the direction the car was going in and the acceleration was quite easy to grab. Brakes were WAY to sensitive though. The options that came with the C350 were amazing though, it had the Premium 2 package, which includes memory seats, bi-xenons, cornet illuminating fogs, split fold down rear seats, etc, and the Multimedia package, which has a 7" nav screen, Logic7, COMAND, and some other goodies. And what did the dealer quote us? Lets just say it was too good to be true.

Lastly, we went to the BMW dealership. I'm not even going to discuss it. Handling was overrated and disappointing honestly. Maybe a tad more nimble, but nothing to rave about. Quite honestly, it was disappointing. Options weren't that great either.

So I ranked the cars like this. The IS and the C class were in a tie for first, but I put the bimmer in 5th place, skipping 2nd to 4th place entirely. In terms of pricing, the Lexus was more expensive, so we went to the Benz dealer to see what they had to offer. They offered us the highest bid for our LS430, and $10,000 off of MSRP. I kid you not. $10,000. So what was the downside? A 6.9% APR financing rate.

As of now we'll decide within the week or so. Just a quick update. The merc is cheaper, but I still love the IS in terms of looks and power. Blah. Sports sedan shopping is conflicting.
Old 11-08-09, 08:47 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

to the OP:

i commend you for going in for a test drive. imo it's certainly the best way to come to a conclusion about whether a car suits you - or not.

i've test driven a c350 before, and i agree with you that it feels more sturdy and seems to handle better than the is350. while the is350 is feels more isolated and receives less feedback from the road, you'll appreciate that on bumpy california roads the is350 is more isolated (less jarring) than its deutchland counterparts.

although the c350 may sound like a good deal, remember that signing for the car is just the start of the ownership experience. considering that you're looking to keep your next car for a while, and that german cars aren't known for their frugal long-term cost-of-ownership experience... well, come to your own conclusions on that.

regardless, keep us updated.
Old 11-08-09, 09:34 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

if you can afford it, why do you need to finance it?

financing a quickly depreciating item doesn't make sense.

if you can't pay for it in cash, don't buy it.
Old 11-09-09, 10:35 PM
AKsIS350
Driver School Candidate

For the credit. Even though my dad has like, practically perfect credit, or near 800 anyways, he still wants that extra boost. And another thing is that idk, out of some sympathy for the salesmen, my dad finances, since apparently if you pay cash they get nothing...(which I doubt) but that's my word against my old man's. Like he'd listen. (Unless it's true...?) But yeah. The decision comes this week.

Quick Reply: Coming from an LS430...