Coming from an LS430...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 09:47 PM
AKsIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming from an LS430...

Hello Club Lexus!

This is my first post on this forum (I think) and I was hoping for some insight on what car I should buy in the near future. I currently drive a 2001 LS430, which belonged to my father. He has moved onto an 09 S550 in its stead. I definitely don't consider the LS430 a bad car in any way. It's rather comfortable; I enjoy the ML audio (even though I have a practically dead sub that rattles and shakes on even the most bass-less songs now), and the other amenities that can be found in it. It has gotten me from A to B on many occasions, but now, as I move onto college and such within a year, I need a new car of my own.

I'm sure most of you who see this post will be like, ugh, here comes another "which car should I get" thread. To those who did predict such a happening. I apologize, but you are 100% correct. After practically a year of research now, comparing prices, options, etc, I have narrowed my options down to two, or maybe three choices:

1. The Lexus IS350.
2. The BMW 328i.
The potential number 3. The Nissan Maxima.

I know possibly every little detail, pros and cons, about these cars, and quite honestly, I know the obvious choice, in terms of good performance, reliability, and comfort is the IS350. Due to this, it is my current number 1 choice. BUT. There is something about the 3 series that continuously pulls me back to it. In terms of pricing, the bimmer and the lexus are similarly priced. The Maxima, might be a few thousand cheaper.

In terms of styling, all three appeal to me greatly. None of the three are in anyway, shape or form ugly, and appeal to my typical young adult tastes quite nicely. So here's my real dilemma. Choosing the side between good ride quality and handling (the bimmer) and comfort and reliability with a good kick of power in it as well (the IS350). I'll be honest, I'm not one to go out to tracks for lap times, but I enjoy flooring it occasionally for the thrill. Even in my LS430. Also I have this horrible urge to pass terribly slow traffic (40% of the time being elderly men/women driving Priuses). But I look for much more in a car than just speed.

From my LS430, I think I became softened by the luxury of premium sound, squishy yet supportive seats, and virtually numb, yet surprisingly nimble, ride quality and handling. Yes, from my driving the LS430 I found that the handling was quite nice. But then again this was my first car, so I wouldn't know how any other car handles like. So from this, would I be disappointed by the supposedly not-as-exhilarating handling/ride quality of the Lexus IS? I honestly doubt it, but still, my young and naive mind could be wrong. ALSO. My LS430 is black. That is possibly the most horrendous color for a car in the world. For me at least. Every summer, it reaches a good 80-100 degrees in SoCal where I live, which means the inside of my black and not-so-well-tinted car gets much much hotter. My back practically gets GLUED to the back of my seat. The IS350 however would fix this problem, since it has the ventilated seats. On the other hand, a good ceramic tint job and a white exterior color could do the same. In terms of options, the two are pretty much equal, save for maybe a few electrochromatic mirrors, comfort access/smartkey, memory seats, etc.

SO here's where the importance kicks in. And where the choice should be obvious. This car is going to be a 10 year investment. And yes yes, I know, reliability will be huge. On the 328, chances are my wallet will suffer. Not as much on the IS350. And over the period of half a year or so, I've made mod lists for both cars. The IS350's list being H&R Springs, a Joe Z intake pipe, HKS Hi-power exhaust, redouts, a nice Wald kit, and rims are still being decided. Probably Volks or FiveAxis.

So it's probably been a pain in the rear for you guys to read all of this, and I've basically answered my own question honestly of how I should get the IS350. I've gone over the other thread with the BMW328 vs. The IS350 and an Infiniti G35, but quite honestly, I still can't bring to my thick head what car I should get. If I do get the IS350, it'll just be with the basic Nav/premiumplus/XenonwithAFS/18"wheel package on the Lexus Website, since it's impossible for me to find a new 09 or 2010 model with the sports package down here for some reason. Also, my friend whose mother works for Lexus has also offered me some incentive. Apparently by going through Lexus/Toyota Headquarters and having them "introduce" you to a dealer, you can get a significantly higher discount on an IS350. He, since he doesn't care much for cars, hasn't given me much detail on this process, but that it only applies if one is for sure buying a Lexus/Toyota. Some final advice on this would be greatly appreciated so I can get some peace of mind. And so that my parents don't have to yell at me anymore to get off the computer and to stop looking at cars online all the time. Ha....Hope to hear your input. Sorry for possibly answering my own question though.
Old 10-25-09, 09:52 PM
AKsIS350
Driver School Candidate

Quick question...I don't have this is the wrong section by any chance....do I?
Old 10-25-09, 10:01 PM
ijulmimi
Lead Lap

Lexus IS350!!
Old 10-25-09, 10:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Ultimately, it's going to come down to you driving all three cars and deciding. Everyone is going to have an opinion on this, but it's your taste and priorities that will dictate what you get. I've learned over the years one can only research a car so much. Sitting in them and driving them is most revealing.
A couple of things...
With the seat fans in the IS, your butt and back won't get glued to the seats.
Everyone says they'll hold onto their car for ten years, but it rarely ever happens.
When you are ready, consider emailing all dealership's internet departments for pricing. Get them to give you their best price and you'll be in the driver's seat $$$.
You can't go wrong with either three. All are highly rated cars, with the front drive Maxima kind of off in it's own land. Be sure to pay close attention to how the CVT feels. It's not loved by all.
Also bear in mind the IS and 3-series have been out for most of their runs and will be redone soon.
Best wishes!
Old 10-25-09, 10:05 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you're in the right thread. welcome to CL and the 2is section.

i think you're on the right track as far as making a decision for your next car is concerned.

have you test-driven all three on your list? that might help you in your decision-making process.
Old 10-25-09, 10:08 PM
AKsIS350
Driver School Candidate

I think I am going to leave it up to the test drives regarding final preference. I'll be test driving them either next week or in the beginning of November. As of now though, in terms of basic "on-paper" preferences/options, the IS350 is on top. And yeah, I really know what you mean Fixxboy, but in my case, it'll probably be a 10 year investment, because the folks are moving back to "the motherland" as soon as I'm away and on my own. So throughout college and probably grad school I'll be stuck with he car I have. Until I rack up enough dough to upgrade. And yeah, the one thing that bugged me, well actually two, about the Maxima was the front wheel drive and CVT. I like shifts, and I like taking somewhat fast corners without worrying about under steer. In regards to the whole, 2011 and 2012 remodels, I can't really wait that long I guess, but I've grown to the look of both cars; even now I think the E46 BMW 3 and the IS300 look fine. But this LS430 has got to go. I'm getting an average of 11.7 MPG per tank. It hurts. So much.

Last edited by AKsIS350; 10-25-09 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-25-09, 10:31 PM
yOyOYoo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IS350 will feel a LOT smaller than the LS430. Have you thought about getting a GS?
Old 10-25-09, 10:35 PM
AKsIS350
Driver School Candidate

At my age I don't think a GS would be rational. And I don't mind the size. It'll only be me driving around. Honestly I think the LS is far too big and unwieldy. Even though I have mastered its maneuverability . I'm perfectly fine with driving a mid size sports sedan. I have occasionally driven my sister's C350 and found it to be more than enough. ALSO. Quick question. Is the trunk space vast enough for me to fit a set of golf clubs? :O From photos and such it looks to be enough, but it says it's only like, 13 cubic feet or so. Or was it less...? I don't recall. Agh. It was just less than the bimmer.

And a late "for the record." I have researched quotes and prices on all of the cars above. The best offer for an IS350 I've had so far was an 09, which...was probably already bought by now. $38,898. For a 2010, $39,806. Other "stealerships" refused to budge from MSRP......

Last edited by AKsIS350; 10-25-09 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-25-09, 11:21 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The IS has a fairly good sized trunk. Can fit 2 or 3 golf bags ... plus other smaller items.

Oh and go for the IS. My mom has a 330. Right now, its at 65,000 miles and the oil light always flashes (burns through oil), and the passenger door lock seems to have a mind of its own.

For a long term car, lexus all the way
Old 10-25-09, 11:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The Lexus is going to give you power (306hp vs 230), reliability, style (subjective), function, and good safety. The BMW may drive and handle well, but I feel its design has become long in the tooth. The interior is also very bland. Honestly all you need is some upgraded shocks, springs and sways on the IS and your good to go. Also keep in mind that the 328i will save you a little more on gas. In the end, test drive both and see which you like better. With that said, my biased side says IS350 FTW!!!
Old 10-26-09, 12:41 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

you can't go wrong with the IS350. it is reliable, stylish, and fun to drive! there's just too many words to describe it. i love mine so much! the only thing i didn't like about it is it only comes in auto. it would've been so much fun if it came with a manual option. but other than that everything is great about the car. good luck on your decision! white IS350 FTW!
Old 10-26-09, 04:25 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The 328 is nowhere near the the IS350 as far as performance. It is however close to the same price. Now, the 335 is a different story. The only problem is the 335 is having reliability issues.

Koz
Old 10-26-09, 08:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The 328 is nowhere near the the IS350 as far as performance. It is however close to the same price. Now, the 335 is a different story. The only problem is the 335 is having reliability issues.

Koz
The 335 is also a LOT more expensive, especially if you're getting any decent amount of options comparable to the IS350.

Get the IS...especially if you're keeping it a long time, best reliability, best interior, best performance, holds its value best... get the sport package and slap a set of F-sport sway bars on there and it'll handle just fine too

(and I know you say you can't find one around you, you can always buy elsewhere, or special order, and you don't need to pay anywhere near MSRP to do it from the right dealer)
Old 10-26-09, 08:54 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

You can never go wrong with an IS, they are just so good looking.
Old 10-26-09, 11:08 AM
spicaly
Driver

I would test drive all three.... are you trading the LS in?

Quick Reply: Coming from an LS430...