Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

How do I blackout my headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 09:54 AM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I blackout my headlights?

Is there at DIY post that shows me how to blackout my headlights? I have been wanting to do this for a while and I have decied to just go for it! But I need help on getting started, I don't want to mess anything up. If anyone can help I would definately appreciate it. :-) also, does anyone know where I can get yellow overlays on my fog lights? Also, where would I install the over lay, on the top of my fogs, or on the inside?
Old 10-28-09, 02:50 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taken from my writeup on my.is...
Instructions for y'all wanting to do this:
Sorry no pics, but the steps are here.

How to remove the front bumper: YouTube - How to remove the bumper from a Lexus IS250 / IS350 to install Lite-Eyes CCFL Halos / Angel Eyes

Alright, I just heated the oven to 200F and put the headlight in, wiring and all, for 15 minutes. Everyone freaks out about this, but you're not going to melt anything at 200F. This will barely even make the glue holding the housing pliable enough to pry the lenses off. Trust me, I've taken 3 sets of headlights apart - my old '97 Prelude that I did an HID retrofit on, my '94 Supra that I did an HID retrofit on, and finally these where I just blacked out the chrome piece.

So, get a flathead screwdriver you don't really care about because you're gonna get the goop that holds the two pieces together all over it. Do one light at a time in the oven - let sit in the oven for 15 minutes, take it out (use oven mitts, lol). Now, down towards the inner corner is where I started prying (the pointy part of the headlight that is near the grill.) It takes patience - don't go crazy on it jamming the screwdriver in between the plastic and lense because you'll warp the black plastic. Just work small areas at a time. It'll take a while to get a good 5-6" section kinda "loose", but when you do, use your kung-fu grip and start pulling the two apart. It'll be hard, I won't lie. These lights were some of the hardest to pry apart. Once you get 'em going though, be aware that the glue that holds them will be real stringy; just make sure it doesn't get on the chrome reflector as you're pulling it apart. Also, as you pull the two apart, be aware that there are little clips every few inches on the black housing. As you get to them, gently unclip them. I broke a couple on my first light because I wasn't patient. Just take it slow. As a sidenote, my headlight made a lot of noise, creaking, etc when it was coming apart. I thought I was breaking it, but there's nothing holding the two pieces together except the goop, so don't be afraid if the thing makes weird noises when you're pulling it apart.

Once the two pieces are apart, I'd go ahead and put the headlight back into the oven for another 15 minutes (the assembly, not the lense) and then take it back out, and run your screwdriver through the 'channel' that holds the goop. You will later re-seal the headlights using black silicone RTV (often called gasket sealer) - you can get it at AutoZone.

So now that the two pieces are apart, set the lense aside and you'll see the chrome assembly is attached to the lense. There are 3-4 (can't recall for sure) little bitty Phillips screws that hold it on to the clear lense. Unscrew them and it'll come free. Now don't touch it cause you don't want oils from your fingers on the chrome part. I personally did not sand them down before I painted - I just used small, light coats of flat black. Be patient. It'll take 5-6 coats, and space 'em out about 20 minutes. Again, just use enough paint to lightly coat, then stop. Otherwise you'll start getting runs, bubbles, etc.

Once they're how you want them, you just basically reverse the process. Get the housing screwed back in and then go ahead and fill the 'channels' with goop (don't be afraid to fill the thing with silicone. The more you use, the better seal you'll get). I then used woodworking clamps to actually hold the lense to the housing. You can get them at Lowe's or any Sears. I put about 3 on each light and let them sit for a full day. That silicone will need a long time to cure. I don't have any condensation issues and I think they're sealed better than stock.
Old 10-28-09, 03:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Nice DIY four o two. One of these days when I get around to it, I'll definitely follow this.

To the OP, Aerotect makes good vinyls and films for headlights and fogs.
http://www.aerotect.net/Auto.html
As for the overlays, they would go over the fogs. Its simply a vinyl that you apply with soap and water and squeegee the bubbles out
Old 10-28-09, 03:54 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the advice guys
Old 10-28-09, 04:06 PM
LEXX135
Pole Position

stock headlights better imo
Old 10-28-09, 05:09 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

You guys are Awesome!!! Thank you sooo much, this is gonna make my Lexus even sexxier!!! :-)
Old 10-28-09, 07:41 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

here's mine currently im happy with them.. my 5th set i've done for the IS haha the outcome is this

Old 10-28-09, 10:46 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Im diggin those lights mistaboi, and lovin the SGM, it makes it easier to see if the lights would actually turn out good on my car since we have the same color. lol
Old 10-29-09, 09:37 PM
BUST
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
here's mine currently im happy with them.. my 5th set i've done for the IS haha the outcome is this
I've always wanted to black out my headlights but have had mixed feelings about them. Did you black out just the inner part or your headlights? Your fogs as well? Looks good man, got a full front view shot?
Old 10-29-09, 10:26 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I did the fogs too:

Javier
Old 11-18-10, 05:47 AM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I did the fogs too:

Javier
Is the process for blacking out your fog lights the same as for your headlights? I have already blacked out my headlights but was not sure if I could use the same procedure for my fogs. Thanks...
Old 11-18-10, 07:24 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I did the fogs too:

Javier
Looks really good! I've been wanting to do this. I'm just not looking forward to baking my headlights
Old 11-18-10, 03:10 PM
ILL250
Driver

^ looks really nice guys, I really want to do this on mine because I dont like the silver but I'm afraid I might mess up.