Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Couple Q's about IS250 to owners from a to be possibly

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 12:18 PM
s4m222
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Q's about IS250 to owners from a to be possibly

Is250 is my most likely candidate for a used car purchase.

Taking a poll on current owners for comments and thoughts on Manual Vs Auto.

Im not buying the car for speed, just for a snappy ride, thats fairly luxurious. Im a fan of manual, but might get auto depending on if people have been having tranny problems or any other issues...

Why did you get the transmission you got?

Any problems with the 06 is250's? ive notice with alot of cars 1st years are buggy sometimes.

Anything else a potential is250 buyer should be aware of? i am sifting through various is250 forums... but i cant read them all
Old 10-28-09, 12:27 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cant comment on the 250's....

Originally Posted by s4m222
i am sifting through various is250 forums... but i cant read them all
BUT here is the best board for 2is cars on the net. Read the FAQ sticky, a wealth of info on our cars.
Old 10-28-09, 12:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by s4m222
Is250 is my most likely candidate for a used car purchase.

Taking a poll on current owners for comments and thoughts on Manual Vs Auto.

Im not buying the car for speed, just for a snappy ride, thats fairly luxurious. Im a fan of manual, but might get auto depending on if people have been having tranny problems or any other issues...

Why did you get the transmission you got?

Any problems with the 06 is250's? ive notice with alot of cars 1st years are buggy sometimes.

Anything else a potential is250 buyer should be aware of? i am sifting through various is250 forums... but i cant read them all

Numerous folks have reported issues with the manual, ranging from it just being generally unpleasant to use, to being noisy and difficult, to being poorly designed, to going through more than 1 transmission already.

Don't recall anyone having an issue with the auto.

Plus, the auto gets better mileage too.

Skip the manual in the 250, it's kinda crap.
Old 10-28-09, 01:32 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

test drive both and decide
Old 10-28-09, 01:44 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Auto in the IS250 shifts through gears way too fast IMO. (35 mpg in 6th gear, and down shifts when you press on gas a little more than usual)
Old 10-28-09, 02:32 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Get an A/T. M/T is pretty much out now and it is not really faster by all means.
Old 10-28-09, 03:13 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manual transmission is a total slushbox. Its design was derived from a light trucka application and it drives like one. Attempting to rev match with this car is more annoying than any manual car I've ever driven! The throttle response is just not that of a manual transmission...totally sorry transmission. Get the auto in years 07+above
Old 10-28-09, 03:18 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a manual transmission and love it. I haven't had any problem aside from the occasional jar of marbles noice.

To those that say it's a bad transmission I don't think it it. I have no problem rev matching on my down shifts or anything, and to those that say that have been through more than one transmission. I think its more because Lexus/Toyota refuse to admit that the flywheel is the problem and rather replace the transmission.

The only complaint that I really have is that the clutch pedal is very soft but than again I'm use to my Integra's Dual diaphragm pressure plate and 6 puck ceramic clutch.
Old 10-28-09, 07:44 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

there was no manual avail. i kinda regret it most of the time for not waiting
Old 10-28-09, 07:49 PM
s4m222
Driver School Candidate

thanks, looking into is250, or possibly TL~~

seems like with a 250 id get an AUTO, not sure about TL's yet
Old 10-28-09, 09:06 PM
thechosun
Driver

Id say it depends more on how much traffic you have to deal with

My manual tranny has held up well thus far (45k on the odo) and has not experienced any of the tranny troubles others have had. My friend has an 06 is250 6mt and has a bit more of a shake in 1st gear only. In my opinion, if the tranny already has a bit of shake, itll stay that way until you get the clutch replaced. If you want the manual, take care to really feel the clutch out when you test drive it. if you have to drop the clutch in above 2k rpm when shifting into 1st to remove that shaky start i would think twice.

who wants all wheel drive anyways? getting a lil slip through the on ramp on your daily drive always gets me smiling
Old 10-29-09, 11:43 AM
08mica
Pole Position

Manual. Love mine, but have to sell it. Never had a problem with it. fun car to drive, looks damn good, not fast but not a big deal.

Overall great car to cruise around in.
Old 10-29-09, 12:04 PM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Manual as well and no problems what so ever. I just love pounding through the gears. Not the fastest car but fun to drive and honestly all the power you'll need for daily driving.

Most will say the manual is crap and has a lot of weird sounds and such. Personally I have had none of this. MT is a hell of a lot enjoyable than auto any day IMO.
Old 10-29-09, 12:14 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

This subject has been beaten to death on the IS250 and I believe that the general concensus is that the manual transmission, coming out of a Tacoma truck, is notchy and unpleasant to drive. I'd dare say that they should have stuck with a 5-speed from out of a Yaris and it would've been much more fun to drive, even with one gear less (which the car doesn't really need, regardless). Now, the automatic is a total slushbox that's for sure but it does its job smoothly and granted that you don't absolutely need the manumatic mode (which is utterly useless), it's plenty.

Drive both and decide for yourself. If you're a die-hard manual tranny fanatic you will get it regardless of what is being said here. Imho, however, there is no point in buying a Lexus if you're going to get the manual tranny. For the same amount of money (or even less), and better performance, I would go out and buy an Acura CSX Type-S if I really wanted a 6-speed manual. It might be a Civic with leather and moonroof at the end of the day, but it's still 'luxurious' and comfortable.
Old 10-29-09, 12:28 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

understand that most guys have automatics here (which is proportional to the fact that they didn't make many manuals).

that being said, i have a manual, and i love it. i'd hate to have an automatic. i commute through chicago traffic, and i still love it. manual makes driving fun.

as to having problems with the transmission, it's really not that bad. yes, they could have done a better job, but it's still fun to drive.

GO FOR THE MANUAL!

Quick Reply: Couple Q's about IS250 to owners from a to be possibly