IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Right Head light damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 09:33 PM
PrincessK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Right Head light damage

so..i was driving to my boyfriends place and i was on the high way during, there was quite some traffic. Something fell off a truck i guess and some stuff happened to be like..some sort of cardboard, but it wasn't the cheap stuff, It was like..tough hard cardboard used to build with. Well, it hit my right side of my car basically, and the clip inside my right headlight is broken, is there a good place i can find a new head light? because i doubt i'll be able to really fix this. And there's scratches all over my light cover
Old 11-01-09, 09:46 PM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iono, post some pictures maybe?
but wow that sucks. sorry to hear.
Old 11-02-09, 09:37 AM
PrincessK
Driver School Candidate

yeah i know it also left scratches on my bumper and hood, i'll get some pictures asap.
Old 11-02-09, 02:19 PM
lilbluu
Driver

I had a tire hit the rear of my car that came off a truck from the opposite side of the freeway one time. damaged the rear quarter panel and took out the tail light with it. well, luckily that was on my old car. flying tires = unpredictable movement. its like trying to catch a bouncing football.

but anyways. i got a replacement from a junkyard for imports. they normally have all kinds of stuff in stock. just google a location and go there. most places will have it inventoried and theyll just go get it for you if its in stock.
Old 11-02-09, 09:23 PM
ebb100z
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear! When time permits, please post some pics so that we can all analyze the damage.
Old 11-04-09, 03:21 PM
Ghost ES3
Rookie

these parts aint cheap...I saw a person selling some headlights for 750...I think he paid 1500 for one headlight with all the hid ballast of course, but still expensive.
Old 11-04-09, 03:59 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can post pics of the damage and if possible point out which tab that is broken. Usually it is easily repairable. Some guy backed up and tapped my bumper pushing it upwards and made my headlight shift up a bit. That took off the side tab of my headlights. So I used superglue to hold it in place and use pieces of plastic from my old headlights and used a small torch to melt the plastics into place and shaped it while it was still soft.
Old 11-05-09, 12:53 AM
PrincessK
Driver School Candidate

kay guys, im going to post pictures later today. yeah..it scratched my bumper paint and my hood too. i'm pretty bummed. TCHAN- what do you mean by small torch, like how do you get it and use it?
Old 11-05-09, 06:26 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

you didnt catch the plate on the truck to report him?
Old 11-05-09, 04:08 PM
PrincessK
Driver School Candidate

no it was just all over the highway i'm not sure what it fell off of, but i just took a guess. but it pretty much ruined my night and everytime i look at my front right head light..it's pretty sad. i have pictures i took today and will post them tonight. i do no want to deal with insurance companies.. so my boyfriend is going to help me fix it, but i dont know how to yet or what i should do.
Old 11-05-09, 07:40 PM
PrincessK
Driver School Candidate

Here are the pictures, don't be too harsh, i love my car still!

But overall.. i haven't done anything to my car yet..totally stocked.

Last edited by PrincessK; 11-06-09 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 01:31 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PrincessK
kay guys, im going to post pictures later today. yeah..it scratched my bumper paint and my hood too. i'm pretty bummed. TCHAN- what do you mean by small torch, like how do you get it and use it?
I actually used my gf's mini torch that she uses to make creme brulees. I think you can get one at bath and beyond stores for like 10 bucks. Your headlights don't look that bad, it can easily be fixed. Probably need to wetsand it down with 800 girt, then with 1000 grit, and finally 2000 grit to smooth it out. After sanding use plastic compound and polish it out. Remember to be generous with the water when wetsanding. But the fender needs to be repainted though. It's peeling right now and over time it's going to peel even more.

Last edited by Tchan1; 11-06-09 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 01:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

This just happened to me last month, but with a truck blowing it's tire. I was fortunate enough to track down the truck and make a report with the highway patrol (was late at night). Long story short, I'm not paying a dime and my car will be fixed. Highway patrol guy told me he's rarely ever seen someone go through the trouble of tracking down the offender. But hey, this is the IS we're talkin about here! hehe
Old 11-06-09, 07:37 PM
PrincessK
Driver School Candidate

T-Chan, if i purchase this torch, do you mean get into my headlight and fix it or how do i use the torch? and to get my fender painted..won't they have to paint my entire hood area where it is peeling? man oh man...this is so sad
Old 11-06-09, 09:43 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PrincessK
T-Chan, if i purchase this torch, do you mean get into my headlight and fix it or how do i use the torch? and to get my fender painted..won't they have to paint my entire hood area where it is peeling? man oh man...this is so sad
You can purchase a plastic welder. It will probably be more easier, but just a little bit more expensive. Here is a guy on youtube welding plastic together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuA6d49Z7Rc

You can purchase a plastic welder on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...motiveQ5fTools

I don't think you need to paint the hood. I don't see any damage on there. I just see it on the fender, so probably just paint the fender.

Quick Reply: Right Head light damage