IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ect pwr on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 09:54 AM
kdii02
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any negative affect on the trans over time if we leave this in PWR 24/7? Just curious because I like the shift points better in PWR.
Old 11-06-09, 10:00 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i hate power mode for normal driving, if your in traffic you just tap the gas and your head snaps, its not very pleasant...
Old 11-06-09, 10:48 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kdii02
Is there any negative affect on the trans over time if we leave this in PWR 24/7? Just curious because I like the shift points better in PWR.
that may be hard to answer. i think the PWR mode come out in the 06 models. i may be wrong it may have been out years before that. im new to cars but i have only seen it in 06+. unless someone has high miles on thier car that uses pwr 24/7 they can tell you
Old 11-06-09, 10:55 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0723
that may be hard to answer. i think the PWR mode come out in the 06 models. i may be wrong it may have been out years before that. im new to cars but i have only seen it in 06+. unless someone has high miles on thier car that uses pwr 24/7 they can tell you
There's been some version of ECT-Power on toyota cars for at least 20-25 years now.

All it does is change the computer behavior of the transmission a bit.

If you wanna know -exactly- what it does on the 2IS it's posted here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3305550-post10.html
Old 11-06-09, 03:34 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i hate power mode for normal driving, if your in traffic you just tap the gas and your head snaps, its not very pleasant...
i only use pwr mode at night with little traffic.great feature
Old 11-06-09, 04:03 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

well the power mode on corolla and on camry does make the car go faster than normal mode though.
Old 11-06-09, 04:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by someboy
well the power mode on corolla and on camry does make the car go faster than normal mode though.
Really? Do you have any supporting data for that conclusion? (ideally something like Gernby posted for the 2IS to show the opposite, or something like I linked earlier in this thread to show exactly what the mode does on the car)
Old 11-06-09, 10:54 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kdii02
A auto trans. shifts by slipping the power connection so faster shift= less slipping= less wear
Old 11-06-09, 11:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I definitely feel more power with mine on. But I did notice a very slight drop in economy.
For those saying it's better off during WOT, how can this be when under regular driving conditions it's helpful to have it on? Just curious what makes it go from good to bad under more aggressive conditions.
Old 11-06-09, 11:24 PM
P34R1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a question i've had since i got my 2is ,and i would LOVE a solution with a foundation.

personally, when driving around normally, i leave it in normal, drive, traction control on.
when i pull up to someone (or visa versa), or when i see incoming hids in my rear view (), i slip it into sport, hit PWR, and TRAC off.
i have no real proof that PWR in sport vs NORMAL in sport makes ANY positive/negative difference at all, so no bashing. thats why im here. i want answers!

edit: what does WOT mean. im usually good with figuring out acronyms...
Old 11-07-09, 12:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

WOT=Wide Open Throttle. Flooring the car.

Perhaps if either of the previous 2 posters would bother to read the link I provided they'd have their answer explaining what it actually does.

ECT-Power doesn't add any power to the car at all.

It changes shift behavior in part-throttle and on/off throttle driving so that the car "feels" sportier. This will improve performance/response when you're taking your foot on and off the gas (for reasons explained in that link).

From a dead stop having it on reduces performance because nothing it does for you helps in that situation and it shifts at lower rpms than in normal mode (as proven by Gernbys datalogging...you can see THAT data here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3042656-post38.html
Old 11-07-09, 09:20 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

if u wanna go fast turn of ur a/c....

Kurtzzzzz brooooooo i have been trying to figure out how to keep my traciton control off for 2 years THANK YOU!!!!!!!! im so much happier now I need new tires anyway so im going to have some fun now
Old 11-07-09, 09:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
if u wanna go fast turn of ur a/c....

Kurtzzzzz brooooooo i have been trying to figure out how to keep my traciton control off for 2 years THANK YOU!!!!!!!! im so much happier now I need new tires anyway so im going to have some fun now
You're welcome

regarding the AC though- actually the 2IS turns off the compressor at WOT so that won't make a difference
Old 11-07-09, 10:14 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

I know nothing lol Im more of a designer
So I can leave my a/c on and still have max power?
Old 11-07-09, 08:37 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Really? Do you have any supporting data for that conclusion? (ideally something like Gernby posted for the 2IS to show the opposite, or something like I linked earlier in this thread to show exactly what the mode does on the car)
i don't but i tried it myself, does that count? i know they say normal mod is actually faster than power mod for the 2is, that i never tested out, and a lot of people seem to have tested it out, so i believe it also. but as i was racing with my buddy the other day with a corolla vs his integra, neither one of us was another to gain any advantage on each others, until i pressed the power button( overdrive off) my car instantly went faster than his car and slowly gaining more advantages.

Quick Reply: ect pwr on or off?