IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09 | 12:40 PM
outlaws
Rookie

Default Cracked windshield

I was driving to work on the freeway today and out of nowhere this rock flies and hits my windshield. I don't know how it happened since there were no cars in front of me. What a great way to start the weekend.

I searched the forums and decided to go with Safelite as people seem to have good experience from them. Just got a quote to do a repair first tomorrow and see how it goes. If I am not satisfied then I will shell out some bux to get it replaced. Good thing is they said the cost of the repair can go towards a new windshield so that is good to know.

I was just wondering how it will look with just a repair. Will it be back to normal again? It really is a eyesore to have a crack in the windshield. Especially when it's in the middle of the car.
Old 11-06-09 | 01:01 PM
DaSyce
Instructor

Any chance you were driving past a golf course.. ? (happened to my GS when it was a month old.. )

Could have been and angry squirrel with an acorn.
Old 11-06-09 | 03:30 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

I just got my windshield replaced by safelite they are good company. but the tech had to do it twice the first time he tryed to use the same molding on the sides and it didn't sit right and let alot of wind noise so he ordered some oem moulding and trim from the dealer at no cost to me. This time it went in perfect and has no road noise yet but will update after a couple days.
Old 11-06-09 | 03:32 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Pictures of the damage? Because if it isn't too serious, you can just buy those kit at kragen and repair it yourself.
Old 11-06-09 | 06:53 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJSirkit13
I just got my windshield replaced by safelite they are good company. but the tech had to do it twice the first time he tryed to use the same molding on the sides and it didn't sit right and let alot of wind noise so he ordered some oem moulding and trim from the dealer at no cost to me. This time it went in perfect and has no road noise yet but will update after a couple days.
I had a patch done once, couldn't stand it. The so called invisible repair, isn't.
I would go with replacment
Old 11-06-09 | 10:36 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

I have replaced my windshield many times... CA roads always have debris flying everywhere even if there isn't any cars around... something hit my room and left a huge chip with no cars around before.
Old 11-07-09 | 10:56 AM
outlaws
Rookie

Update:

They said it was unrepairable because of the length of the crack so I went ahead and got a quote to get it replaced. The repair would have been around $75 and ended up getting it replaced for $220. Over the phone the guy tried to quote me for $270 so I even got a cheaper quote today. I went to the Safelite in Santa Ana and they were really friendly people. Overall I am pleased how it turned out.

This is how the damage looks

This is how it looks after

Old 11-12-09 | 09:32 PM
outlaws
Rookie

I've been driving the car around, and there are loud wind noises going 65mph-75mph that wasn't there before? Is this normal? I know the wind noise is louder because I turn up the radio and the wind noise is still louder than the music.
Old 11-14-09 | 06:33 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Crap! I just saw your post. I would have talked you out of Safelite. I have the same problem on the highway. They replaced mine twice and it is still there. Never again! Call them up and ask for a refund. Go to the dealership and have them install the OEM glass. You will have to pay for your deductible, but its worth it.
Old 11-14-09 | 07:16 AM
Jayson
Advanced

VikH, I'm glad you posted your comment because I was getting ready to call Safelite on Monday. Both of our vehicles have cracks in the windshield, mine in the GS being more severe, so its good to know that the only way to go is through the dealers oem process.

Since we bought my wife's LX back in '07 I've always thought there was way too much wind noise coming through the windshield. I bet it has been replaced in the past and they used aftermarket parts to perform the job.

I do have a question though; is it necessary to use Lexus glass or is it simply a must to use new trim seals, etc? Glass is glass, right?
Old 11-14-09 | 07:47 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

The Lexus glass is 4 or 5 times more expensive than the safelite glass. I believe its in the range of $1200-$1500, so if your insurance doesn't have special coverage for windsheild rep, then you will have to pay your deductible.

Most of my wind noise is coming from the top of the windshield and it may have to do with the way the glass is shaped at the edge. Although, I think the important part is that the Lexus techs know what they are doing and they have the correct parts (trims, seals) to get the job done right.