IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS in winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09 | 01:08 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

summer tires were that bad eh? obviously if the roads are bad I'm not going to drive like an idiot, but in florida, it rains and people act like theyve never seen rain in their lives. I drove on snow for a couple days when I was in Pittsburgh on 18" wheels with low pro summer tires, but I also couldnt get out of my own driveway, and that was in a front wheel drive car. I'm just praying the roads stay pretty clear for my trip there and back and that Lexus lied to me when they said I have summer tires and maybe by chance they're actually all-seasons. that'd make me feel a little safer.
Old 12-14-09 | 01:22 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

i wouldn't worry too much. i've got friends that drive around with summer tires year round and they don't complain. just be careful.
Old 12-14-09 | 01:14 PM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
im gonna live dangerously this winter and drive around on my summer tires
LOL!!
Me too!
Old 12-14-09 | 01:38 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

I drive year round on my summer tires, including the snow

Nah, when it doesn't look too well I drive my teg, only got caught in the snow once with summer tires and it was a bit hectic
Old 12-14-09 | 08:29 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

alright well, i guess I'll be wearing briefs on the way up north and pray I don't get stuck into anything horrible on the way up or while I'm there :eek
Old 12-15-09 | 01:48 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

the potenza re92s(all seasons) that come stock on the IS250 are P.O.S.

i knew they were bad in anything but dry weather but it snowed a little bit on sunday, so i took the IS out for a drive with 90 pounds of rice bags in the trunk. going down side streets on freshly covered powder is terrible. it's like you're on bald tires. going 10km per hour and trying to brake. ABS struggles and still slides for 5 or 6 feet before stopping. acceleration only happens because of traction control and snow mode.

in the rain(it's vancouver after all. rains everyday pretty much), the tires are so bad. they hydroplane through big rain puddles(feel the steering wheel break loose). at a stopped position try to "launch" the car lightly with traction control off...the car just spins its wheels.

trying to "launch" the car lightly with trac on, the car just starts beeping and trac light blinks. it does grip, but only because of the gizmo.

good thing i have a winter car with michelin snow tires. wooo. tried them out on another day of light snow. stopping distance is awesome, even without ABS, stability control and traction control. the tires grip snow like the roads are dry.

i'm getting really good snow tires for my IS after the winter car gets sold in the spring time.

sorry, rant over

bottom line: if you have re92s...either don't drive the car at all or get snow tires.
Old 12-15-09 | 01:51 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

get kuhmo ecsta asx. they're awesome all weather tires
Old 12-15-09 | 07:47 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shui3000
i wouldn't worry too much. i've got friends that drive around with summer tires year round and they don't complain. just be careful.
Bad advice. Wide low profile summer tires are completely inadequate for driving on snow and ice, and put you and the people around you in jeopardy.

Why doesn't the OP look at his car and tell us what make and model tires he has? I'm sure the folks here can tell him whether they are summer tires or all seasons.
Old 12-17-09 | 02:01 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

I wasnt the OP but I believe my questions are being answered now cause i didnt want to start a new topic, but I have the Bridgestones. They're definitely summer tires. I have the 09 IS with 18" wheels. I'm just going to pray i dont get stuck in snow on the way home and back. I'll park the car in the garage and wait for a dry day to drive. any bad weather, ill pray and not drive like i usually do. haha.
Old 12-17-09 | 06:55 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

goodluck with the trip man, but couldnt you just rent a car while your there?
Old 12-18-09 | 02:43 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

ill be there for about 3 weeks and I'm 20, pretty sure you have to be older to rent a car. I'd drive my parents or my brothers..but insurance kinda prevented me from doing that after my license suspension 2yrs ago, i cant legally drive their vehicles.
Old 12-18-09 | 09:02 AM
thechosun
Driver

Originally Posted by shui3000
two weeks, chances are you'll be fine. if the forecast is bad, don't drive. the best form of risk management in this case is risk avoidance.

i drive in chicago with all-season tires, and the rear end never comes out. i feel really safe. i have no idea what all the hubbub is about with snow tires. total waste of money in my opinion.

as to the snow button, i use it, but i don't really notice a difference
snow tires a total waste of money?

it depends if you are driving in a city environment where snow is plowed and thousands of cars drive constantly keeping the pavement clear. if thats the case, you dont need them.

i live in minnesota suburbia and got some blizzaks and the difference is night and day. when you're driving over compacted snow or fresh powder, nothing beats snow tires. your traction is comparable to AWD or SUV.

also, ETCS is extremely useful in my opinion. it seems to lower the responsiveness of the accelerator and thus helps with slipping and for RWD's swinging out.
Old 12-18-09 | 09:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZeroIS
ill be there for about 3 weeks and I'm 20, pretty sure you have to be older to rent a car.
This varies greatly between both states and rental agencies (and sometimes how you're renting from them) There's at least some where they'll rent to 18 or older
Old 12-18-09 | 01:47 PM
cadfael_te
Rookie

Hey, OP here. Hadn't checked in a while. I have all-seasons but that wasn't really part of my original question. Think a bunch of folks have asked different questions piggy-backing on here - ain't a big deal but just clarifying.

BTW, been through the first couple of snows here in KC and I'm really surprised how well the IS has handled. Haven't had problem one (knocks on wood). Didn't get snow tires due to the expense and the availability of my wife's 4wd if it gets really bad. I only drive about 8 minutes to work so I wasn't as nervous about it once I got used to the car.

As to the ECT snow mode - seems to work pretty well if nothing else to keep my lead foot filled with helium.
Old 12-19-09 | 06:01 PM
slickz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
Bad advice. Wide low profile summer tires are completely inadequate for driving on snow and ice, and put you and the people around you in jeopardy.

Why doesn't the OP look at his car and tell us what make and model tires he has? I'm sure the folks here can tell him whether they are summer tires or all seasons.
sup everyone..didnt wannt start a new thread but does anyone know if Falken Fk452 are summer tires or all seasons?

thx

Quick Reply: IS in winter