IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Someone broke in my 06 IS350...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-09, 04:05 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heartmyis
Sorry to hear that, my 2010 IS was broken into not even a week after I got the car. I got my window replaced (OEM) for about $360 total including tint. The window alone cost me $260 thats with my friend's discount at Lexus!!! As far as I know, the IS alarm does not detect broken windows, only force entry. I have called Lexus and asked about this, they told me only the LS and ES have the alarm for broken window. Time to consider an aftermarket alarm maybe...I definitely am getting one installed soon.

Well,

Good thing you have hook up cuz dealer here charge 329 + tax - imagine how much they charge for installation.

I have my friend's shop to look for a used OEM. He said probably about 150 with 190 installed. I think it's ok to get a used side glass cuz it's only a glass.

As for the tint.. it actually held 70% ish of the glass and I'll be tinting that myself.. Glad that i know how to tint and that'll save me few bucks...
Old 11-12-09, 04:08 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

So..

the building i work for is own by the one of the biggest pipline company, JM Eagle. I spoke to the parking manager to see if they can review the camera to see any suspicious people wondering around during afternoon time. Guess what they came back to me...

"Hi David,

Unfortunately I am not able to release such information. "
Old 11-12-09, 04:14 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

There is different types of alarms, and unfortunately Lexus does not offer the IS models with alarm to detect a "broken window". I was upset when I found out also.
i know. sucks to hear. i asked my lexus dealer about this, and the salesman also said that a broken window would not trigger the alarm going off. there must be a different sensor that would trigger it going off. i asked them why it was not standard to have something like that (cuz it happens way more than need be) and all he could say was that given the area we live, thats why we have alternate anti-theft procedures, such as GPS tracking or Lo-Jack.
Old 11-12-09, 04:15 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Initial G
Sorry to hear about your broken window. Hopefully it will get fixed ASAP. Curious as to what part of Irvine your IS was parked at.
Nah it wasn't in Irvine; off 405 and Century - by LAX
Old 11-12-09, 05:28 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
Well,

Good thing you have hook up cuz dealer here charge 329 + tax - imagine how much they charge for installation.

I have my friend's shop to look for a used OEM. He said probably about 150 with 190 installed. I think it's ok to get a used side glass cuz it's only a glass.

As for the tint.. it actually held 70% ish of the glass and I'll be tinting that myself.. Glad that i know how to tint and that'll save me few bucks...
I believe Lexus charge $250 per hour. It was originally going to about $700 for window and installation, but I bought the window and had a different place installed it. Good luck with your repair!
Old 11-12-09, 05:30 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
i know. sucks to hear. i asked my lexus dealer about this, and the salesman also said that a broken window would not trigger the alarm going off. there must be a different sensor that would trigger it going off. i asked them why it was not standard to have something like that (cuz it happens way more than need be) and all he could say was that given the area we live, thats why we have alternate anti-theft procedures, such as GPS tracking or Lo-Jack.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to not have a more sensitive alarm to be standard nowadays. I think the 2010 models now have a some sort of tracking sensor in the car in case of auto theft.
Old 11-14-09, 05:13 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

I believe Lexus charge $250 per hour. It was originally going to about $700 for window and installation, but I bought the window and had a different place installed it. Good luck with your repair!
thanks, I may order and have friend's body shop install it for 40 dollars.
Old 11-14-09, 05:14 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to not have a more sensitive alarm to be standard nowadays. I think the 2010 models now have a some sort of tracking sensor in the car in case of auto theft.
You would think breaking the glass will set up the alarm....
Old 11-14-09, 05:16 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iKenn
When you lock the door you have to wait like 30 secs for it to arm. The security light blinks or turns off, I forget what it does to say that its armed.
yo, what you said is true. I tested out on 2 IS and the alarm does work! Thanks again!!!
Old 11-14-09, 05:16 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Still trying to find a used but factory window... too hard to find now since the car is still too new... hopefully i can find one soon..
Old 11-14-09, 05:23 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, good luck on finding a window.

Also, welcome back, didn't see you around here in CL for a very long time lol.
Old 11-14-09, 05:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecLexus
Seriously, try using MS Word to edit and proof your post. What does "I bought it in hunts point in the bx and price" mean??? I'm so confused...
He bought the window in the Hunts Point section of The Bronx, NY, and the price included installation.

You didn't get all that?
Old 11-14-09, 05:26 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
Why would they not put a alarm for the window bein broken???? That's like the most common way to get into cars
Many OEM alarms don't include glass breakage--costs more...
Old 11-14-09, 08:58 PM
VF84
Pole Position

mine was broken in with only 7000 miles.. but they pry'd the window broken, left gigantic gouges on the door frame. window fragments left scars on the passenger front seat. and no, alarm didn't go off. didn't know it until some 7 yr old kids were all looking inside in awe the next morning. cop was just sitting in my neighborhood cuz he was already responding to another broken window incident.

anyway, see what your insurance says. usually, it's comprehensive deduction, theft coverage, probably around $100... most don't jack up the price due to theft. double check.
Old 11-15-09, 09:58 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VF84
mine was broken in with only 7000 miles.. but they pry'd the window broken, left gigantic gouges on the door frame. window fragments left scars on the passenger front seat. and no, alarm didn't go off. didn't know it until some 7 yr old kids were all looking inside in awe the next morning. cop was just sitting in my neighborhood cuz he was already responding to another broken window incident.

anyway, see what your insurance says. usually, it's comprehensive deduction, theft coverage, probably around $100... most don't jack up the price due to theft. double check.

How much did you pay for the door frame? I haven't brought my car to the dealer yet cuz I'm still waiting for the body shop to look for a used factory glass.

Quick Reply: Someone broke in my 06 IS350...